Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

What kind of fine can I get if I get pulled over with front door tinted windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Is it worth the risk?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Is it worth the risk?

Depends on the fine. If it's a cash fine and/or removal of the tint on the spot then it's worth it.

If it involves penalty points then not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Lads how difficult is it to change a wiper motor? Both front and back need doing in the focus, and if I could give it a stab myself it would save me going to the mechanic.

Lads how difficult is it to change a wiper motor? Both front and back need doing in the focus, and if I could give it a stab myself it would save me going to the mechanic.

Hardest part is usually getting the rusty wiper off the motor. After that it's a piece of cake.

The good thing is you can try to remove the wiper before you do any taking apart work. So if you manage that the hardest part is done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pov06 wrote: »
    Depends on the fine. If it's a cash fine and/or removal of the tint on the spot then it's worth it.

Dont think it inivolves penalty points

Instant removal alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Paid my tax for the next quarter :(

Also, found out something really stupid about some insurance quotes ahead of my September renewal, so I'm doing the form on Aviva's online quotation system and entering in my reg, they won't quote as it "falls outside their online criteria" yet when I put in the details manually they'll quote fine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Pov06 wrote: »

Are they really worth losing some low light vision for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

I thought you're allowed up to 35% tint on the fronts and whatever you want on the rears?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

morritty wrote: »
    I thought you're allowed up to 35% tint on the fronts and whatever you want on the rears?

Was just about to say front tints are not illegal

They just have to be a certain percentage for NCT on the front.

Do whatever you want with the back windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, but the issue is that most car window glass has a level of tinting already that brings it close enough to that 35% that adding any tint worth buying pushes you over that limit.

Id like to hope its not much more that a 5 or 10% on factory glass? i could be entirely wrong and true i guess it depends on car make itself, is there anyway of finding out?

Renewal time is coming and it's already giving me a headache. Tried Axa and Chill online quotes so far, both around the €2000 mark. Axa called me and asked a couple of questions and at the end gave me a quote of €1850 or something like that, I told him that I paid €950 for last year (which is true) and he said "Okay, we can try again next year" :o

he said "Okay, we can try again next year" :o

What a cheeky b*stard.

Safe till next year. Second times the charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Safe till next year. Second times the charm.

Hopefully ill be the same monday :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully ill be the same monday :)

Best of luck. They've funk looking new certs now. Looks like someone took a highlighter to it.

Best of luck. They've funk looking new certs now. Looks like someone took a highlighter to it.

All we need now is neon pink tax discs and a multicoloured insurance disc and our windows are raving it to the max :pac:

Got a second hand front wiper motor for the focus in a breakers, 40 bob, he hadn't a back one, but said he'd go and look for one and ring me back. I never knew that motor factors don't do spurious motors? Anyway, popped into the main dealers to get a price for a new one for the craic, 179 plus vat, for a rear motor! Yer man even said to try a breakers.

Got the constant droning noise when revving diagnosed as a bearing gone in the alternator, or some bearing in that direction.

I'll try and pop the front motor in later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I think it's 6 10mm bolt screws holding on the rear wiper motor. It can be awkward for access on 1 or 2 of them.

aha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZDtachFio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

So lads, any of you in Dublin coming along to Terenure on Sunday, plans I made two months ago with my mates have finally fell asunder :/

• Advertisement

So lads, any of you in Dublin coming along to Terenure on Sunday, plans I made two months ago with my mates have finally fell asunder :/

What's in Terenure?

There's a GTI NI meet/show in Co. Down with a car limbo and BBQ on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

What's in Terenure?

There's a GTI NI meet/show in Co. Down with a car limbo and BBQ on Sunday.

Classic car show, its alright if you like old cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Renewal time is coming and it's already giving me a headache. Tried Axa and Chill online quotes so far, both around the €2000 mark. Axa called me and asked a couple of questions and at the end gave me a quote of €1850 or something like that, I told him that I paid €950 for last year (which is true) and he said "Okay, we can try again next year" :o

Jesus that's expensive for having extra no claims bonus as well.
    Which car was the quote for. None of your cars would be classed as a performance car so i do not know where they are pulling these figures from.

My renewal will be soon as well(edit: actually 2 or 3 months time). So i will have to go through all the heartache as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lent a friend my car for a week. Got it back with a tiny bit of damage. A wheel housing case smashed. Slight damage over the arch too, where the screws were holding it in. Feck sake.

Jesus that's expensive for having extra no claims bonus as well.
    Which car was the quote for. None of your cars would be classed as a performance car so i do not know where they are pulling these figures from.

My renewal will be soon as well(edit: actually 2 or 3 months time). So i will have to go through all the heartache as well.

It was for the Punto, which should be the cheapest imo, because it has the smallest engine and is the newest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just bought something French and barge like. Happy out

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Just bought something French and barge like. Happy out

C4 estate?

It was for the Punto, which should be the cheapest imo, because it has the smallest engine and is the newest.

If only insurance worked that way!

C4 estate?

C5. 2.0HDI.

42996533.jpeg

Aaah... I meant to say C5

• Advertisement

I'll get some pics when I get it home tomorrow.

In short.

110 HDi. NCT for a year. Clean inside. Few small scrapes on the front wing. FSH. Naff hubcaps going in the bin. Low miles (95k)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There were three idiots at different parts of the m1 today doing less than 80 kph

And the past two days going south after the toll there is a bridge for another road under the motorway and not days there have been a cop car and a van parked there with the cops leaning against the bridge yapping no cameras out

Are they on a break or something?

So I got the motor in and it works... kinda. Works fine on a continuous sweep, but on the intermittent sweep, they park halfway on the window. I've tried adjusting the arms and linkages, but it keeps going back to the way it was? Bad motor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

:D

tumblr_no9yt2uavx1sn3shmo1_500-559464e4543f3.gif

Car is in for the test tomorrow.
    I have most done but it will fail on a shock that I never got to that is weeping and possibly the handbrake.
    Hopefully nothing more now, 24hrs to go and as always I have the jitters!

Worse than if I had a test myself!

YbFocus wrote: »
    I have most done but it will fail on a shock that I never got to that is weeping and possibly the handbrake.

I know dem feels... :(

What do you mean, is it not the e36 you're testing?

Best of luck with it :)

To the person who asked if my alloys were kerbed, I don't think so but there is blistering on the paint and scratches on the rims, even a clean and that would all be there

Have a look at Aviva, do their Ignition Test and you'll get a very good quote from them.

I'm thinking about doing this, does it cost anything?

I know dem feels... :(

What do you mean, is it not the e36 you're testing?

It is man, just I seen the shock was burst, I know the handbrake isn't great.
    But if something like emissions comes back at me I'm not sure what I'll do!

• Advertisement

If it's not much over the limit, you can change filters, oil, put in the fuel additive and it should pass. Hopefully you wont have to, although it's good to have fresh oil and filters. :)

I usually sort the emissions with a very spirited drive to the test center ;)

If it's not much over the limit, you can change filters, oil, put in the fuel additive and it should pass. Hopefully you wont have to, although it's good to have fresh oil and filters. :)

Oil is less than 1k old, I'm just reading into nothing until I see the results anyway :)

My spirited drive will be from Roscrea to Westport so it should be well warm etc!

That didn't work on my Bora #1, although it may be possible it wasn't spirited enough.

My spirited drive will be from Roscrea to Westport so it should be well warm etc!

Grand! The first time I went there last week I got the oil temp to 110 degrees,, gona try beat that monday haha
    That didn't work on my Bora #1, although it may be possible it wasn't spirited enough.

Needs more spirits :pac:

• Advertisement

Exactly, if the cat is gone or a sensor is toast then no driving will fix it!
    I have two of everything on my setup :)

bmw-3-series-e36-clutch-replacement-diy_1.jpg

I'm thinking about doing this, does it cost anything?

Nope, tis free, they'll sort you if you're stuck too. I need to be insured on the 20th, called them the 18th, had an appointment 19th, insured on the 20th.

Theyre giving me quotes of around 1200 for the 525 as a 21 year old with 3 years no claims and 3 years licence.

Nope, tis free, they'll sort you if you're stuck too. I need to be insured on the 20th, called them the 18th, had an appointment 19th, insured on the 20th.

Theyre giving me quotes of around 1200 for the 525 as a 21 year old with 3 years no claims and 3 years licence.

Good stuff, will call them tomorrow and see what happens. Hoping for a quote of around €700 or is that too optimistic?

2 years no claims / 2 years licence / paid €950 last year.

Good stuff, will call them tomorrow and see what happens. Hoping for a quote of around €700 or is that too optimistic?

2 years no claims / 2 years licence / paid €950 last year.

I was 20, 2 years named driving, which they count as full, 2 year licence with a recorded accident and got a quote of 950 for the Yaris, I'd say you'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

So I got the motor in and it works... kinda. Works fine on a continuous sweep, but on the intermittent sweep, they park halfway on the window. I've tried adjusting the arms and linkages, but it keeps going back to the way it was? Bad motor?

There is a relay in the glovebox. The part number is 1552133. Link for identification http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ford-1552133-Wiper-Relay/dp/B00ABK553Q

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement