Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hal1 wrote:
    There is a relay in the glovebox. The part number is 1552133. Link for identification

Ya, I spotted that earlier, went to look for it and it's there, but there's a metal plate covering half of it? Would the relay sort the stopping mid wipe out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's another one of these 'known' ford problems :rolleys:. I'm not sure if it was a recall on it due to them admitting it was there fault.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So I'm finally comfy driving the Honda haven't had my weirdo issue now for a week :)

Hal1 wrote:
    It's another one of these 'known' ford problems :rolleys:. I'm not sure if it was a recall on it due to them admitting it was there fault.

Ford... problems... never! Looking forward to hearing the proper engine noise, once I get this alternator bearing fixed! Add that to fixing my noisy wiper motor, hopefully I'll have some quiet driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

GvidoR wrote: »
    What's in Terenure?

There's a GTI NI meet/show in Co. Down with a car limbo and BBQ on Sunday.

castlewellen does not compare to terenure massive classic car show.. usually the static highlight of the summer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

If anyone knows of any MK3 Golf, Vento or MK2 Punto (Gold) for breaking, please let me know. :)

Or a cheap whole car that's heading for the scrappers that I could get for a low price.

There is a gold punto in the scrapyard in the Heath in Portlaoise (not whelans, the other one up the road) I was in there yesterday (by mistake)
    Body looked intact.

In the last 2 months I have changed.
    Clutch and flywheel.
    2 lower control arms,
    2 rear drop links,
    2 upper control arms,
    Timing belt and water pump.
    Service.
    I won't tell you the cost of all this as I'm afraid to add it up.......
    But can anyone lend me a tenner:p

Next is front pads and discs, they are nearly fooked (see I do use my brakes :pac:)
    And shortly I will need tyres.
    It never bloody ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Fair play, I've just replaced the discs, pads and upper control arm on mine.

My wallet is in shock...,...well I also took a holiday, paid insurance and tax and I'm now trying to rent an apartment in Dublin so there are several other reasons my wallet is reeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

GvidoR, pred is talking about martin byrne car dismantlers.
    Another walk in and work away place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I'm planning to make some noise :P new 2.5 exhaust system for my MX5, and Koni kit 40mm lower :)
    Only need a bumper sticker with "Speedbump Be Patient I'm Lowered"

jdm_speed_bump_lowered.jpg

http://www.stickybusiness.ie/shop/be-patient-i-m-lowered-speedbump-sticker.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

pred racer wrote: »
    In the last 2 months I have changed.
    Clutch and flywheel.
    2 lower control arms,
    2 rear drop links,
    2 upper control arms,
    Timing belt and water pump.
    Service.
    I won't tell you the cost of all this as I'm afraid to add it up.......
    But can anyone lend me a tenner:p

Next is front pads and discs, they are nearly fooked (see I do use my brakes :pac:)
    And shortly I will need tyres.
    It never bloody ends.

That 159'has been a good car to you though in general right?

Pity all these things have to come at once!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

There is a gold punto in the scrapyard in the Heath in Portlaoise (not whelans, the other one up the road) I was in there yesterday (by mistake)
    Body looked intact.

Nice. I'm heading to the Kilcock place on Monday, and there isn't one there, I'll probably go down there so. Thanks :)
    YbFocus wrote: »
    GvidoR, pred is talking about martin byrne car dismantlers.
    Another walk in and work away place!

Awesome, good to know there's another one of those walk-in yards.

Asmooh wrote: »
    I'm planning to make some noise :P new 2.5 exhaust system for my MX5, and Koni kit 40mm lower :)
    Only need a bumper sticker with "Speedbump Be Patient I'm Lowered"

jdm_speed_bump_lowered.jpg

http://www.stickybusiness.ie/shop/be-patient-i-m-lowered-speedbump-sticker.html

You'd look like an idiot with one of those stickers on a car lowered 40mm.
    Actually you'd look an idiot with one of them regardless.

You'd look like an idiot with one of those stickers on a car lowered 40mm.
    Actually you'd look an idiot with one of them regardless.
    You know the car is already low without lowering at all..

166man wrote: »
    That 159'has been a good car to you though in general right?

Pity all these things have to come at once!!

It's been a fantastic car to stick me driving it this long, over 3 yrs now!
    It's never let me down.
    Apart from the clutch (first one at 260k) the rest of it is just routine for a car with this mileage, but yeah it all happened at once.
    Now though, the clutch works, there are no rattles, it's going like a train.
    Heading to Kilkenny shortly, it's vw/Audi harassing time :D my favourite sport!

Nice. I'm heading to the Kilcock place on Monday, and there isn't one there, I'll probably go down there so. Thanks :)

Just be careful, yer man would say mass.
    And there are normally no returns!

Just be careful, yer man would say mass.
    And there are normally no returns!

Say mass? What do you mean?

I don't expect returns from a breaker yard anyway. Besides, there's nothing unexpected that can happen with body parts... mechanical/electrical parts could be a bit of a gamble though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

25 is the age for classic insurance:)

Kindly asked for a classic policy quote. "Sorry, you need to be 30"

Well, what a load of horse sh*t. Its like being 17 again :(

I'll just have to ask round more...

Heres to hoping my 406 passes its test on Thursday. It better, theres new bloody everything in it!

You need to be 30+ to insure a classic car? :eek:

• Advertisement

You need to be 30+ to insure a classic car? :eek:

It's bizarre but understandable considering I'm asking a quote on the Jag, but annoying nonetheless. Either the E34 or C220 isn't a problem at my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Try Carole Nash. Sure, pickles is 24 and has a policy with them.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Try Carole Nash. Sure, pickles is 24 and has a policy with them.

Thats an auld yoke though, Jag is barely 15 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its to stop young lads buying old cars and getting insured on them. Check out the Classic Car forum for example, every two weeks there is somebody asking if they can do it.

You can do it in the UK.

I'd love something like a Morris Minor or an Anglia as a daily if I could insure it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

DakarVert wrote: »
    You can do it in the UK.

I'd love something like a Morris Minor or an Anglia as a daily if I could insure it!

Yep you can get a classic policy in the Uk at any (legal age). A friend of mine has a Minor and its her first car, 19 years old.

Its to stop young lads buying old cars and getting insured on them. Check out the Classic Car forum for example, every two weeks there is somebody asking if they can do it.

It's sad that as usual, some utter apes with their lemons f*cked it up for the rest of us. All I want is a weekend car. This really blows :(

I've also been told that it couldn't be insured anyway untill its 20 years old, yet they might insure me on a similar aged XJ at my age.... That really makes no sense to me :confused:

• Advertisement

Damn...

I'm thinking to get a MK1 Golf GTI or a Porsche 944 as my second car in the near future.

Say mass? What do you mean?

I don't expect returns from a breaker yard anyway. Besides, there's nothing unexpected that can happen with body parts... mechanical/electrical parts could be a bit of a gamble though.

He will say anything to get u to buy something.
    That panel from a merc, course it will fit a mk2 punto.........

I called Aviva to see if I can do the ignition course and get a discount.

After a few minutes on hold I get through and they ask me a few questions. I said that I did 13 lessons with Aviva and she told me that I already qualify for the discount because I have reached module 3 (whatever that is) and I don't need to do the course - I'm thinking 'sweet', but I kinda wanted to the course anyway.

Then she puts me onto the insurance quote person and then this happened...

"Can I get the reg of your car?"
    "Sure, it's 01MO5945"
    "Sorry, I can't give you a quote because we don't insure cars 01 and under."

Jesus Christ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

After a few minutes on hold I get through and they ask me a few questions. I said that I did 13 lessons with Aviva and she told me that I already qualify for the discount because I have reached module 3 (whatever that is) and I don't need to do the course - I'm thinking 'sweet', but I kinda wanted to the course anyway.

"Sure, it's 01MO5945"

Jesus Christ...

God damn it... mines an 01, and have been getting companies saying they don't insure 10+ year old cars. Sure all cars over 10 years old are death traps don't you know.

God damn it... mines an 01, and have been getting companies saying they don't insure 10+ year old cars. Sure all cars over 10 years old are death traps don't you know.

It's ridiculous.

Also it seems so weird that their cut off line is 01 and my car is 01. Coincidence? 00 (15yo) would sound more... I don't know how to put it... realistic?

• Advertisement

All silver cars are death traps, coz the people that drive them have obviously given up on life :p
    :pac:

"Sure, it's 01MO5945"

Jesus Christ...

try AIB, im going to insure my 1992 MX5 there

Older cars are better compare to new cars.. way simpler, people just need to learn to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I got insured with aviva on a 00 car with the ignition course yoke, they told me at the time that I was actually a week off the cut off before they started their new less than 15 years old thing, but then saw a note on my account that I had tried to do it 3 weeks earlier that since I was 'already on the system' they could do my car.

sounds confusing, it was confusing, I'm still confused, and it cost me 1800 quid for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I can get online quotes with them by manually filling out the details yet the won't with me putting in the reg. It can still be bought that way.

I can get online quotes with them by manually filling out the details yet the won't with me putting in the reg. It can still be bought that way.
    lucky you.. i had a hard time searching how to insure my car.. will be paying 175 / month when I insure it

I can't, because I have my licence 2 years (you need it for 3+ for online quote) and there's no mention of ignition course / module thing on the form.

Sick to my teeth messing with the wiper motor. Wipers stop mid sweep, changed a relay with one I know works, and it stops further up the window? Motor must be goosed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Sick to my teeth messing with the wiper motor. Wipers stop mid sweep, changed a relay with one I know works, and it stops further up the window? Motor must be goosed?

I know the nissans suffer with a problem where the grease from the motor migrates over the years onto the contacts inside the housing that tell the wipers where to park. The fix involves drilling the rivets off the front plate so you can clean the contacts.

Fairly annoying aul problem alright especially using the intermittent wipe setting.

Anyone going to cars and coffee in Galway on Sunday, 12th July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Wexford bound soon for stag the beer it is a calling!!

• Advertisement

What time a Monday? I've to get more Merc wheel bolts and maybe some random 406/Fiat bits. Too late for me today and away tomorrow morning, so I'll be there on Monday so I can get the C180/C220 a full set of bolts again

I know of another walk in place, too far away from Kilcock to make it in one day. Wouldn't recommend it either, no 3 door Puntos!

dgt wrote: »
    What time a Monday? I've to get more Merc wheel bolts and maybe some random 406/Fiat bits. Too late for me today and away tomorrow morning, so I'll be there on Monday so I can get the C180/C220 a full set of bolts again

I know of another walk in place, too far away from Kilcock to make it in one day. Wouldn't recommend it either, no 3 door Puntos!

Don't know yet, probably around 3-ish.

Don't know yet, probably around 3-ish.

Look for a dark blue 98 406 with horrendous laquer peel on the bonnet and silicone sunroof :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Anyone going to cars and coffee in Galway on Sunday, 12th July?

I will probably go to this one, not gone in over a year now.

Shock as i knew.
    Handbrake as i knew.

Other than that it got called on a wheel bearing, passenger rear.

Very very happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Shock as i knew.
    Handbrake as i knew.

I wouldn't be too happy having to fix all them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Shock as i knew.
    Handbrake as i knew.

very very happy your car failed? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just saw my first 152 reg parked up outside my gaff. Some white hyundai SUV yoke, looks awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

seen a few 152 4 series, seems to be selling well and look unreal too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just saw my first 152 reg parked up outside my gaff. Some white hyundai SUV yoke, looks awful!

Santa Fe or ix35? The ix is very Qashqai-ish but the SF is a fine looking bus IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement