Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Senn a VW today with bremo brakes all around in Galway. That is hardly standard is it? I should have took a picture or even done a reg check just so I know what it was. It caught my eye as it looked just like a normal passat or something and I was thinking who would put bremo brakes all round on that. Could be a sleeper or maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Senn a VW today with bremo brakes all around in Galway. That is hardly standard is it? I should have took a picture or even done a reg check just so I know what it was. It caught my eye as it looked just like a normal passat or something and I was thinking who would put bremo brakes all round on that. Could be a sleeper or maybe not.

A Phaeton maybe? Pretty much just looks like a larger Passat.

A Phaeton maybe? Pretty much just looks like a larger Passat.

No it was deffo not one of them, think it was around 2004 age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

No it was deffo not one of them, think it was around 2004 age.

W8 Passat? Or maybe someone just stuck on "Brembo" caliper covers, which is the more likely story, MCM style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Bentley?

• Advertisement

W8 Passat? Or maybe someone just stuck on "Brembo" caliper covers, which is the more likely story, MCM style.

No these were genuine. Made of metal. Should have really took a pic of reg at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I wouldn't be too happy having to fix all them though.

Ah sure tis a shock, wheel bearing and a quick tension at the hubs for the handbrake :)

very very happy your car failed? :confused:

That you always have the fear it could be worse.
    I couldn't get to the shock or the handbrake so to have a wheel bearing added to that list isn't too bad.
    I can do the wheel bearing while i do the rear brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

was only yanking your gearstick ;)

Just explaining myself since you asked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Ah lad no need for that here :pac: The referendum ended long ago :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This week's exile to Newry is over, was actually a handy commute got a half hour lie in every day

Next up Belfast and Craig Avon - yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Today, after 5 interviews and 7 years searching, I was offered an apprenticeship with Nissan. :)
    I start the Tuesday after next. Excited is not the word!

Now, anyone make the rush hour commute from Tallaght to Dundrum? I'll have to work out the route before my first day. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

CianRyan wrote: »
    Today, after 5 interviews and 7 years searching, I was offered an apprenticeship with Nissan. :)

Now, anyone make the rush hour commute from Tallaght to Dundrum? I'll have to work out the route before my first day. :p

As with all these things, do a trial run the Tuesday beforehand at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

As with all these things, do a trial run the Tuesday beforehand at the same time.

And don't forget to allow extra time when the schools reopen in September :D I have bad memories from last September of arriving like 30 minutes late to work when the schools reopened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nice work Cian. That'll be a handy enough spin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fantastic, where in dundrum? More specifically will you have to cross the huge junction at the luas bridge? I'm fairly certain you will as I used work in windy arbor and rember a big Nissan dealer on the right down from the topaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

He will yeah. It's either gonna be straight down by the Spawell and turn right after Templeogue or M50 and take exit 13 down through Ballinteer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Congrats Cian, an apprenticeship as a Mechanic is it?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    He will yeah. It's either gonna be straight down by the Spawell and turn right after Templeogue or M50 and take exit 13 down through Ballinteer.

Spawell I used come down through ballinter and for a 8 am start it would take over forty minutes from ballinter to cross that fooking bridge

The m50 was also lethal as far as firhouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

10% off all* orders on micksgarage.ie

Voucher code Mail10

Expires Sunday night 00:00

colm_mcm wrote: »
    10% off all* orders on micksgarage.ie

Voucher code Mail10

Expires Sunday night 00:00

cheers for this need a set of wiper blades

Thanks all, yes it's Windsor Dundrum but part of a much bigger scheme. Generation next, for those interested.
    Yes, I'm planning on doing a couple of practice runs alright and the M50 is making the most sense at the moment. It takes about 10 minutes outside of rush hour, I'd say I could easily triple that, maybe even 4 times.

I'm dying to get stuck in, why such a long wait?! :pac:

Edit: Yes, apprentice mechanic but there's a lot of room to move up in such a big company for those willing to work hard. :)

Thanks all, yes it's Windsor Dundrum but part of a much bigger scheme. Generation next, for those interested.
    Yes, I'm planning on doing a couple of practice runs alright and the M50 is making the most sense at the moment. It takes about 10 minutes outside of rush hour, I'd say I could easily triple that, maybe even 4 times.

Will yo be starting at 9 am or a different time?

Haven't been told yet, I'll be talking to them again during the week. I have a feeling it may be 8 or 8:30 though.

Haven't been told yet, I'll be talking to them again during the week. I have a feeling it may be 8 or 8:30 though.

Ah congrats man that is a awesome.
    Gen next is an awesome setup!
    It'll be a deadly opportunity for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Edit: Yes, apprentice mechanic but there's a lot of room to move up in such a big company for those willing to work hard. :)

You'll need to change your username to NissanDoctor(trainee).

The local mechanic here owns 6 houses(seriously) and is not even an officially qualified mechanic. :)

(Not that material possessions are necessarily important, or make a person )

If it's 8 plan to leave at 715 hit that bridge before 730 and you'll be fine

Come September add at least 15 mins

I started a job near there last June starting at 8 and was shocked the difference the schools being open made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Does anyone know if Coffee and Cars is on in Limerick this weekend?

1st Sunday of the month so ya tis.

I've been at the last proably 15 and it has never not been on, on the first Sunday of the month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

May have blown the rear shocks on the family 2013 megane.... It got serviced this morning, and they got replaced under warranty.

I think it might've been me hitting the rampai that bit too fast.

Stheno wrote: »
    If it's 8 plan to leave at 715 hit that bridge before 730 and you'll be fine

Come September add at least 15 mins

I started a job near there last June starting at 8 and was shocked the difference the schools being open made

Yeah, it's that section just between the motorway and the first, small roundabout that concerns me.
    If traffic is really bad I'll just park at one of the shops and walk down at lunch time. Luckily there's plenty of places to pull in along the way.
    Might be wise to keep my skateboard in the car. :p

There's apparently a brand new, state of the art facility in Nissan's main office for training apprentices. I'm dying to see it.
    And I'm really dying to learn about gear boxes, they seem like a kind of black magic to me, I know the theory but I just don't know, I need to see one opened up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Is it a paid apprenticeship?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Is it a paid apprenticeship?

Yes of course it is but you are on lowish salary for the few years until you are qualified.

edit: I think Nissan might be like the ESB and do all apprenticeship training in house i done mine through FÁS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

CianRyan wrote:
    Today, after 5 interviews and 7 years searching, I was offered an apprenticeship with Nissan. I start the Tuesday after next. Excited is not the word!

Ah well done lad, delighted for you! You deserve it after waiting that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Cian, I'm absolutely delighted for ya, genuinely am! You'll only be around the corner from me, I can drop an Alfa into you to learn about!

On a separate note I was cutting the front grass inter garden today and had a chap stop with his wife and ask if I was running the Dublin Italian Car Club...! Gave him a lowdown of the machinery in possession !

Always makes my day when people stop like that..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

nd wrote: »
    1st Sunday of the month so ya tis.

I've been at the last proably 15 and it has never not been on, on the first Sunday of the month :)

Where exactly is it on?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Where exactly is it on?

City East Plaza, northern Trust is there. It's near Halfords.

How-To-Find-Us-Graphic2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

166man wrote: »
    Cian, I'm absolutely delighted for ya, genuinely am! You'll only be around the corner from me, I can drop an Alfa into you to learn about!

On a separate note I was cutting the front grass inter garden today and had a chap stop with his wife and ask if I was running the Dublin Italian Car Club...! Gave him a lowdown of the machinery in possession !

Always makes my day when people stop like that..!

but you are :pac:

Congrats Cian on the job, you've wanted that one for a long time.

Also fastest way to dundrum at rush hour would be cycling...at least you're commute will take the same length of time every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    City East Plaza, northern Trust is there. It's near Halfords.

I wonder are many cars expected with Terenure on?

It's the first time I can go to C&C

Yeah, it's that section just between the motorway and the first, small roundabout that concerns me.
    If traffic is really bad I'll just park at one of the shops and walk down at lunch time. Luckily there's plenty of places to pull in along the way.
    Might be wise to keep my skateboard in the car. :p

c:

That section was generally fine if starting at eight it's when you turn left at Tesco and hit the lights at the big luas bridge that was a pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Does anyone know how I'll find out when the timing belt is due to be changed on a 2009 Vw Polo 1.4tdi? Would my best bet be to call the local Vw garage and check with them, or is there anywhere online I cna retrieve this information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Went out to buy a pair of runners... went for a 70 mile drive instead! Much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mainly for Colm, but anyone else can pipe in - I need a windback tool for the Civic, think this works:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-1314-Caliper-Piston-Re-wind/dp/B002V72SHS

But there's Draper cube things and the like for a tenner around. Any ideas as to whether they work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Went out to buy a pair of runners... went for a 70 mile drive instead! Much better!

On Tuesday I drove to Castlepollard for a kebab then home again, enjoying the view and weather :D

Blast these 406 springs being so expensive... Well, relatively expensive! :(

A trip just for a kebab? :D

Damn, now I want a kebab. They make really nice ones in Westport.

GvidoR wrote: »
    A trip just for a kebab? :D

Damn, now I want a kebab. They make really nice ones in Westport.

Where :)
    Currently 5 miles out :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Where :)
    Currently 5 miles out :)

Near the river in the middle of town, there's a place called West Kebabs.

I usually ask for a large mixed kebab on chips, so they put all the good stuff on top of chips in that styrofoam box instead of the pitta bread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement