Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I like the 159 from the front, from the back loos a little too stubby and boxed off for the overall shape of the car

gts etc are not particularly nice to look at

imo of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

YbFocus wrote: »
    Well they ain't slow, our own pred holds the Irish land speed record with one.
    Set between Borrisokane and Birr on a frosty night.

Lol

Well, I am not thinking much about speed, but about reliability and economy. Good looks is a bonus. Really love inside of them.
    I was never ever checking diesles on donedeal and now I am a bit lost. Its like Menu in a Scottish Restaurant, you know its food, but you dont want any of it...
    These Alfa GTs look like a nice all around deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd say I'd get sweet f all if I sold it for parts.
    Jaysus I'm not going anywhere near Russia, shure they are mad loike
    Russia's not far away. Just across the border. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lol

Well, I am not thinking much about speed, but about reliability and economy. Good looks is a bonus. Really love inside of them.
    I was never ever checking diesles on donedeal and now I am a bit lost. Its like Menu in a Scottish Restaurant, you know its food, but you dont want any of it...

If you end up going down the 159 route then get the 16v version. The 8v is a bit too slow and unresponsive.
    The engine though is a good one, used in several cars I believe - 2 of them being Saabs and Opel.

If you end up going down the 159 route then get the 16v version. The 8v is a bit too slow and unresponsive.
    The engine though is a good one, used in several cars I believe - 2 of them being Saabs and Opel.

Well, its all just plan. Its still very hard for me to say no to Scooby, but I am checking out options. So far Alfa GT and maybe cheap 525d or 530d e39 winning.
    Who knows, might as well move to Limerick and keep scooby. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Well, its all just plan. Its still very hard for me to say no to Scooby, but I am checking out options. So far Alfa GT and maybe cheap 525d or 530d e39 winning.
    Who knows, might as well move to Limerick and keep scooby. :p

Those two don't go so well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I was at my mechanic today and he had Alfa 159 and Alfa GT in the yard. I am not proud of this, but I really liked both of the bastards in flesh.

I know our going jokes here around Alfas, but looks like that 1.9 JTD engine is pretty decent? I am doing a lot more driving now thanks to a woman in my life ffs :p . I cant believe I am thinking of it, but maybe its time for me to be a bit more sensible and get diesel lol.

Son, I am disappoint.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

159's with decent spec in black are unreal looking

Enginewise the 1.9 diesel makes most sense tbh

159 daily FD RX7 weekend car or something vintage would be spot on when time comes for me to change.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Son, I am disappoint.

:pac:

Don't judge me! I do what I can!!!

*runs out of room crying.

The other problem that stops me from swaping to another car that I know I will miss scooby amd regret it after. Already regreting selling my skyline to this day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Turbo lines are finally here! Along with a lovely 40 euro charge from customs :mad:

Finished my model though, fairly happy with it :D

• Advertisement

So, MAP has failed and so has the intake manifold pressure sensor. The whole EGR system needs cleaning as it's clogged up, that includes the cleaning of the intake manifold. Heres hoping

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So, MAP has failed and so has the intake manifold pressure sensor. The whole EGR system needs cleaning as it's clogged up, that includes the cleaning of the intake manifold. Heres hoping

How many more shekels will that drain you of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

bear1 wrote:

I wanted to send the focus to a crusher due a wiper motor/relay and an alternator bearing annoying me. How you have not acted on your problems has dumbfounded me :P

Stheno wrote: »
    How many more shekels will that drain you of?

About 170e.
    I wanted to send the focus to a crusher due a wiper motor/relay and an alternator bearing annoying me. How you have not acted on your problems has dumbfounded me :P

I'm a serious masturbator... :p helps me deal with the pain and stress of owning a Japanese car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

BIt greasy out there lads :-) hehehehe hahahaha not often I need to counter steer the subaru on tarmac :-) whooooops

Can't believe that bear1, thought you were clear of all that hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Lol

I wouldn't be able to take on the scooby, or anything that's actually fast.
    But put the 159 up against any other 2.0 td 4 door saloon and they will only see me once;)
    That includes the previous model 520d
    The only one that ever gave me a run for my money was an accord daysul.
    (I presume a vrs would aswell, never met one driven by someone willing to put his foot down)

Word of warning though, parts are bloody expensive and you will change suspension parts more often than other cars (new upper arms needed once a year) and they are very fond of a front tyre!

Edit: there are more economical cars out there too, mine does about 5.5-6.5l/100km you could doo a little better if you were careful, but not much.

Speaking of economy there was some cvnt mooching around our underground looking for a zapper for the gate Thursday night. The woman had left the sun roof on tilt and they had a go at pulling it off. Not succeeding they moved on to my neighbours car which was unlocked and stroked her zapper.

Anyhow the sunroof was half dragged off the rails and as I was driving to Mayo (popular place around these parts! :pac:) I hadn't time to sort it out properly. Bet it down back in to place and drove on.

Out on to the M50 at Sandyford and as soon as I hit 60mph the cvnting thing started flapping. Wasn't the worst but with a baby in the car it wasn't ideal. Normally I'd do about 80 on M roads and 70 on N but we weren't in any hurry so tipped along at 60 the whole way down and back.

Arrived back in Dublin this afternoon and was blown away to see I'd saved near 30% on fuel! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Normally I'd do about 80 on M roads and 70 on N but we weren't in any hurry so tipped along at 60 the whole way down and back. :

Grrrrrrr :mad:

Pov06 wrote: »
    Grrrrrrr :mad:

This was in old money dude. ;)

Phew :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

AAAAAAH jayziz ye're speedin so! :P

Phew :P

I thought that was clear when I mentioned mph. ;)

I thought that was clear when I mentioned mph. ;)

Never even noticed that :o It's been a long day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Not totally relevant lads but jesus you'll get a laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not totally relevant lads but jesus you'll get a laugh!

I seen that a week or two ago. What surprised me is the woman is just looking at it, if it was me i would have picked the cat up and held it till we landed. They way they done it the cat could have fallen off.

I seen that a week or two ago. What surprised me is the woman is just looking at it, if it was me i would have picked the cat up and held it till we landed. They way they done it the cat could have fallen off.

I don't know, he was kind of sitting there. Could have spooked it into running off the side!
    I probably would have tried to ignore it too, against my will to try help it!

Any of ye have any experience with GROM audio equipment. I want to change the head unit in the car but I think this might be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

IRIS ELBA (on discovery channel upc 209 )learning how to drive rally cars in prep for the circuit of ireland , the jammy fook already blagged a spin in jimmy mccreas sierra cosworth:D

Quick question. Does anyone know if the sidebars on this:

http://www.adverts.ie/car/suzuki/grand-vitara/suzuki-grand-vitara-2004/8302926

Would fit onto this:

http://www.adverts.ie/car/suzuki/grand-vitara/2006-suzuki-grand-vitara-for-sale/8114066

(ie; older vitara to newer style?).

Does anyone know if all sidebars and A-Bars are universal? or do you have to get specific ones for different cars? I know there's a chap in dublin called Mr Bullbar, but the site is down (and I'd rather go down the 2nd hand route) but not sure what I can get away with..

• Advertisement

One more from me today now that its dark. The car genuinely looks like the devil :)
    That's just the parking bulb inside the full beam unit.

354434.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

First drive in the wet today since fitting Conti Premium Contact 5s on the front.

Unbelievable improvement - compared to Infinitys that came with it.

Infinitys were fine in the dry but felt like they were smeared with soap in the wet. Contis feel like it's dry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Went down to the Kilcock dismantler place. Not the best experience. It was nice to walk around and see that many cars but I saw only two MK3's there (Vento and Golf estate). Got 3 little things from them for €20 and I'm happy enough with that but they wanted €70 for Punto bonnet and wing, so I didn't take them. Also on my way out the guy checked my pockets... that wasn't pleasant.

Was going to get the bonnet and wing from someone in Dublin for €30-€40 but they closed at 6 and I didn't make it there on time.

In other news, I saw this awesome car, with an awesome sticker on it. :P

19292319749_fabe68a7aa_c.jpg

€70 wasn't bad for the two man?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Went down to the Kilcock dismantler place. Not the best experience. It was nice to walk around and see that many cars but I saw only two MK3's there (Vento and Golf estate). Got 3 little things from them for €20 and I'm happy enough with that but they wanted €70 for Punto bonnet and wing, so I didn't take them. Also on my way out the guy checked my pockets... that wasn't pleasant.

Was going to get the bonnet and wing from someone in Dublin for €30-€40 but they closed at 6 and I didn't make it there on time.

In other news, I saw this awesome car, with an awesome sticker on it. :P

They checked your pockets? Jaysis that's a new one on me, I know people lift little things from there, and I've seen whats done about it, but the pockets is a new one

€70 wasn't bad for the two man?

It probably wasn't bad but since I got prices for €30, €40 and €50 from other places, I didn't want to take them for €70, you know.

• Advertisement

It probably wasn't bad but since I got prices for €30, €40 and €50 from other places, I didn't want to take them for €70, you know.

True, the searching the pockets was totally wrong of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If someone went to search my pockets in an established business a swift box to the jaw would be coming right their way. Totally out of order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hard got for less than that gvidor. Maybe why they checked your pockets. Could have seemed a bit odd that you didn't take them for that.

Interslice wrote: »
    Hard got for less than that gvidor. Maybe why they checked your pockets. Could have seemed a bit odd that you didn't take them for that.

I wouldn't say so. As I said, I can get them for €40-€50... could have gotten them for €25-€30 + my current bonnet today, but that place closed too early. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Regardless of why theyy might have done it, it is not on

• Advertisement

They checked your pockets? Jaysis that's a new one on me, I know people lift little things from there, and I've seen whats done about it, but the pockets is a new one

Seen them throwing an eye into a bag or two but that's about it.

Seen them throwing an eye into a bag or two but that's about it.

Yeah I've seen that, I seen them run out after one lad with a bat one day, but he didnt make any attempt to hide what he was at, still though bang out of order either way

Regardless of why theyy might have done it, it is not on

True, not making excuses, just speculating. If they asked me to empty my pockets I'd do it but they wouldn't be puttin their hands near them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

True, not making excuses, just speculating. If they asked me to empty my pockets I'd do it but they wouldn't be puttin their hands near them!

Empty my pockets? Absolutely not, make me!! :)

Empty my pockets, you say? Oh wait, I think I left my car unlocked, I'll be back in a minute. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Empty my pockets? Absolutely not, make me!! :)

Each to their own but I'd just show my wallet, phone and car keys and say good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You should have said "What? You wan't to check me pockets, why don't you go fúck yourself, what the fúck would I want to rob any of the shít you have here"

Them exact words is what I would have said. I know I could be brave and say I would have hit him or something but in reality I wouldn't but those exact words I would have said and he wouldn't have got me to empty my pockets as I would have shouted a lot more abuse at him.

Also on my way out the guy checked my pockets... that wasn't pleasant.

That has pissed me right off. Who the fcuk do they think they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

If someone went to search my pockets in an established business a swift box to the jaw would be coming right their way. Totally out of order

You definitely haven't had that many dealings with Kilcock then or heard the stories....theyve a reputation

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You definitely haven't had that many dealings with Kilcock then or heard the stories....theyve a reputation

Exactly what I was thinking, I'd not go near the place :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement