Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You definitely haven't had that many dealings with Kilcock then or heard the stories....theyve a reputation

Yeah I've barely heard of em tbh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Having dealt with a few scrapyards over the years, I dealt with Kilcock over the phone.

Rude is not the word, I'd not go near them.

Whelans in Portlaoise, and a crowd dgt put me onto up in Louth/Cavan are my go to spots. You can ring them in advance to check if they have parts, and they will hold onto them for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

They have a reputation around here for being a crowd that you don't mess with it.

On a similar note, its just dawned on me how good the breaking business is for legitimising money. Revenue will never know if you sold the engine for 50 quid or 500 quid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Yis don't know them well enough. It isn't my place to tell my tales of what goes on in the background or the places history.

I'm a regular, they know me well and I know them well, does me grand. Got my aerial and centre console today, will be back for a roof lining :)

I have seen them fighting before. The bat used to be a common sight. Mostly for apes who are blatantly trying to hide parts. But sure fighting in scrapyards is common ;)

There are far, far more unfriendly yards....

Didn't see you today mr gvidor! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    Went down to the Kilcock dismantler place. Not the best experience. It was nice to walk around and see that many cars but I saw only two MK3's there (Vento and Golf estate). Got 3 little things from them for €20 and I'm happy enough with that but they wanted €70 for Punto bonnet and wing, so I didn't take them. Also on my way out the guy checked my pockets... that wasn't pleasant.

You must be a dodgy looking character! :P
    I know in my local breakers, one of the lads goes with you and takes the part off with/for you. I know they don't want things to be taken left right and centre and need to put barriers in place to tackle it, but this way has a more subtle kind of "helpful" attitude about it, as opposed to the "empty your pockets ya durty rotten scumbag" approach.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You must be a dodgy looking character! :P
    I know in my local breakers, one of the lads goes with you and takes the part off with/for you. I know they don't want things to be taken left right and centre and need to put barriers in place to tackle it, but this way has a more subtle kind of "helpful" attitude about it, as opposed to the "empty your pockets ya durty rotten scumbag" approach.

The two places I use have the parts ready to go for you if you ring in advance.

You can question them if needs be ( I once was given a passenger as opposed to a drivers mirror) and that's about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

dgt wrote: »
    Didn't see you today mr gvidor! :(

I didn't see the 406 either. I got there at about 4PM.

GvidoR wrote: »
    I didn't see the 406 either. I got there at about 4PM.

I left about half 3 and went to mcdonalds, had a fantastic feast with my coupons, was starving! :cool: Had been there since 12 though :D

I left about half 3 and went to mcdonalds, had a fantastic feast with my coupons, was starving! :cool: Had been there since 12 though :D

Haha nice, I also got McDonalds afterwards. No coupons though... paid full price for my Big Tasty. :P

What did you do there for 3 hours though? :eek:

• Advertisement

Replaced the dodgy wiper motor today for another one, no questions asked (in the breakers). This motor, like the other two has the same issue in that when you turn off the switch when sweeping on the intermittent setting, it stops where it is. If you do it with any of the other speeds, they'll park. Also you should be able to flick the stalk down and it'll do one sweep, you need to keep your finger held on the stalk or else it'll stop. Said t'fcuk with the messing so I went to the main dealer in search of a wiper motor relay. Bought said relay, at a cost of 35 beans. I said I was going to test it before I leave the place, so popped it in, and it made no difference. Brought it back in 3 minutes after buying it, and they refunded me no bother, didn't even check the bag to see if I put the old one in, trying to pull one over. Sure the wipers work fair enough, better than before, so they'll do!

Haha nice, I also got McDonalds afterwards. No coupons though... paid full price for my Big Tasty. :P

What did you do there for 3 hours though? :eek:

Ah, I do scout out what I need/may need for future visits. I like to take my time with certain things. Also love poking under the bays and see how stuff is put together

They have a black E34 that might yield a part or 2. Same with Jaguars.

Ah, I do scout out what I need/may need for future visits. I like to take my time with certain things. Also love poking under the bays and see how stuff is put together

They have a black E34 that might yield a part or 2. Same with Jaguars.

Oh right, I see.

If you ever see any Vento's there, let me know. There was only one there today. :(

Oh right, I see.

If you ever see any Vento's there, let me know. There was only one there today. :(

I was sitting in it for a bit when it began to lash :D

I was sitting in it for a bit when it began to lash :D

:pac: :pac:

I was sort of sleeping in the back, because the boot didn't open from the outside. :D

:pac: :pac:

I was sort of sleeping in the back, because the boot didn't open from the outside. :D

Whatever you do don't sleep in the ambulance. Or even set foot in it. You can smell it some distance away!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Every day im working the sun is shining, days off where i want to do some detailing it's pissing down.

Damn weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Need a bloody 15 (or 16, but I reckon 15) spanner for that brake caliper. Seriously pissed off, I've had it on axle stands twice now. Even a smallish adjustable wrench is too wide to fit into the gap where the bolt is. My set is 8,9,10,11,12,13,14......17. Great.

Anyone know where you could buy individual spanners in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Need a bloody 15 (or 16, but I reckon 15) spanner for that brake caliper. Seriously pissed off, I've had it on axle stands twice now. Even a smallish adjustable wrench is too wide to fit into the gap where the bolt is. My set is 8,9,10,11,12,13,14......17. Great.

I know it's not in Dublin but buy a few of these kits:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LFRYG2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

:D

Woodies sell spanners individually.

• Advertisement

An educated guess would lead me to believe its a 15.

Any decent motor factors should have individual spanners.

As for that adjustable spanner, fire it into the poddle, where it belongs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Pov06 wrote: »
    Jaysus for a fiver that's not bad at all!
    Woodies sell spanners individually.

I went to the one in Glasnevin, they said they did. Had a look, absolutely nothing of the sort. I might check the bigger one in Blanch, or McQuillans.

Good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

[...]
    ^^ Listen to the wise man! :D

Additionally, apart from motor factors: halfrauds or b&q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Every day im working the sun is shining, days off where i want to do some detailing it's pissing down.

Damn weather

Thats a hint man, get her good and dirty, stealth mode :pac:

Agreed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There's only one good brand of adjustable spanner and that's bahco. Use them all the time in work.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    There's only one good brand of adjustable spanner and that's bahco. Use them all the time in work.

Adjustable spanners are great when you only use them to hold a bolt/nut while you are trying to take off another bolt/nut.

A lot better than looking for the exact size spanner only just for holding purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

In Mallow today, Carlow and Galway tomorrow, Letterkenny Thursday and Killarney on Friday with work.

No better car to do it in than a 156 petrol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

166man wrote: »
    In Mallow today, Carlow and Galway tomorrow, Letterkenny Thursday and Killarney on Friday with work.

You wont be saying that when the timing belt snaps! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Pov06 wrote: »
    Adjustable spanners are great when you only use them to hold a bolt/nut while you are trying to take off another bolt/nut.

A lot better than looking for the exact size spanner only just for holding purposes.

Depends, these ones are used all the time, but once you know the limitations of them. I'm on my feet a lot of and the hassle of carrying around a set of spanners. An 8" Bahco Adjustable does pretty much all the work.

166man wrote: »

And here I am in Navan eating a big mac.... The shame! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

An adjustable is better than a Petersen Shifter at a pinch, but only just. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

joujoujou wrote: »
    ^^ Listen to the wise man! :D

Additionally, apart from motor factors: halfrauds or b&q.

B&Q do quite a comprehensive range of "Torq" brand spanners and socketry, and they're quite decent. Most of mine are Torq, Ye Fords of Hal and Gedore, with the exception of a 32mm Stanley I bought about a thousand years ago for popping Yamaha back-axle retainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

My latest form of light on the road entertainment :): rainy day, doing the 80 speed limit on the straight like a good citizen, some german diesel 8 feet from your back bumper mad to overtake, twisties or a few roundabouts coming up, they have to slow down to nurse their 18 inches of **** rubber and heavy lump though, just drop it into third and let the bridgestones do their stuff. It's gas looking in the mirror half way up the next straight, still doing the 80, with them way behind just coming out of the few corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Giorgetto giugiaro has sold up his stake in ital. design to audi,designed some beautys in his time.

Not exactly car related, but you MUST see this! :D:D

https://instagram.com/p/42LlR3TEqZ

I want to do this so bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What an idiot

Yb is this your focus? Or was yours a 5 door?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9726689

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

twin exhausts on a 1.4 :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

may as well have gone for a double twin :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

ive pissed my pants looking at that pic :pac:

• Advertisement

Need a new hose for my power washer. Current one is damaged, and kinks in two places, despite being reinforced, and it will no longer stay attached to the lance, (rubber washer broke, and something else). It's an 8m hose, seen a few places want 60 and over for them. The full power washer cost me 120, yet the hose is half it? Any ideas of places I could get one?

Sweet mother of Jesus no!
    The state of that :)

Need a new hose for my power washer. Current one is damaged, and kinks in two places, despite being reinforced, and it will no longer stay attached to the lance, (rubber washer broke, and something else). It's an 8m hose, seen a few places want 60 and over for them. The full power washer cost me 120, yet the hose is half it? Any ideas of places I could get one?

Which brand of power washer do you have?

Pov06 wrote:
    Which brand of power washer do you have?

Nilfisk c120

Nilfisk c120

Have a look at this eBay shop:
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=cleantec_online&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xnilfisk.TRS0&_nkw=nilfisk&_sacat=0

They seem to have a variety of hoses for Nilfisk power washers at decent prices.

I bought from them a while back and they are from Northern Ireland so shipping takes about 2 days.

Not sure if it's any use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I seem to remember a lot of 1.4 focuses of that era being sold with dual tips, I think I heard of some dealer popping them on and selling them as *sport* models. I could be wrong though...

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote:
    Have a look at this eBay shop:

That link doesn't appear to work right?

Pov06 wrote:
    Try this:

Brilliant, thanks a million. I'll get one of those! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

YbFocus wrote: »
    Sweet mother of Jesus no!
    The state of that :)
    That looks like a factory kit tbh. You could get them with them as iv seen a few around. Loose the silly wheel cover and the exhaust tip and its grand lot worse looking yokes out there! Why kit a 1.4 is another question but different tastes I suppose.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    That looks like a factory kit tbh. You could get them with them as iv seen a few around. Loose the silly wheel cover and the exhaust tip and its grand lot worse looking yokes out there! Why kit a 1.4 is another question but different tastes I suppose.

I had a kitted 1.4 as my first car, it was silly looking back at it but it looked far far better than that!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement