Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bah. One of the brake pad sets went grand, the other couldn't have went worse - the piston fell out! That caliper has been giving me trouble for a while now, so I'm just going to get it replaced. Any ideas what to do with it, car isn't in a state to drive. I'll need a mechanic to come out to me I guess....

I just brought it(well, had it towed) to the garage there, new caliper being fitted tomorrow. Was feeling an utter disaster last night, much better now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

joujoujou wrote: »
    99% something's drawing current off it.

Who can check that for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I just brought it(well, had it towed) to the garage there, new caliper being fitted tomorrow. Was feeling an utter disaster last night, much better now.

Live and learn man! Sticking calipers are fairly common on older cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

zerks wrote: »

That was posted in the Yootoob thread a few days ago. Amazing how he messed it up... he was so close.

My boss text me telling me he's off tomorrow. He said driving at 110 mph down the condell rd in Limerick is an experience. His young lad had an asthma attack last night and he did what he had to do to get him to the regional asap. Doctors said the kid would be dead if he waited for an ambulance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

zerks wrote: »

I hope the police tracked him down and issued the ban he deserves. Totally dangerous driving, smashing in to someones car and leaving the scene of an accident. Dangerous driving for reversing at speed onto a foot path(if someone was walking by at the same time) driving without due care and attention as well.

It also said in artical it was an elderly driver, licence should be talking off him indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Stheno wrote: »
    Who can check that for him?

Sounds like a fairly old car? Take off the lead to the positive terminal (+) then tip the connection on the lead against said terminal. If there's a spark there's something drawing power. Otherwise it's likely the alternator.

EDIT: when doing the above make sure ignition is off so nothing is activated, e.g. radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Sounds like a fairly old car? Take off the lead to the positive terminal (+) then tip the connection on the lead against said terminal. If there's a spark there's something drawing power. Otherwise it's likely the alternator.

EDIT: when doing the above make sure ignition is off so nothing is activated, e.g. radio.

That's a great little tip, must remember that!

YbFocus wrote: »
    That's a great little tip, must remember that!

Handy enough on older yokes. Newer stuff have so many systems there's always something drawing.

• Advertisement

Handy enough on older yokes. Newer stuff have so many systems there's always something drawing.

Won't affect me for a long time so :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks we are defiinitely capable of that

Does the fact it's an automatic make any difference?

Thanks we are defiinitely capable of that

Does the fact it's an automatic make any difference?

Not a bit no.

Same boat as yourself YB ;)

Not a bit no.

Same boat as yourself YB ;)

Oh copped today that he has been leaving the phone charger plugged in all the time and that's only the past few weeks too, he has plugged that out now so hopefully that's it

Oh copped today that he has been leaving the phone charger plugged in all the time and that's only the past few weeks too, he has plugged that out now so hopefully that's it

Shouldn't make any difference. The charger shouldn't be active with the ignition off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Only one thing worse than driving through buttevant. .. driving around buttevant...

Only one thing worse than driving through buttevant. .. driving around buttevant...

Town blocked so had to do a detour?

edit: This also from someone who hasn't been in munster in over 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lad that actual town, such a shed of a place. I remember a few months back when they were resurfacing the place there was a Huracan waiting to go through, probably wrecked the suspension!

Lad that actual town, such a shed of a place. I remember a few months back when they were resurfacing the place there was a Huracan waiting to go through, probably wrecked the suspension!

As bad as it usually is, today/tomorrow? is cahirmee horsefair. Cultural types travel from near and far to sell shoddy goods and cover the whole town in a blanket of rubbish and horse sh1te.

img_8204.jpg?w=422&h=393&crop=

• Advertisement

As bad as it usually is, today/tomorrow? is cahirmee horsefair. Cultural types travel from near and far to sell shoddy goods and cover the whole town in a blanket of rubbish and horse sh1te.

Just as well I never go there unless I'm also leaving it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They having that massive horse show of one ethnical group tomorrow or something. It will be rough. I was wondering why it was so hard to get out from work today in Twopothouse as traffic was so heavy lol.

They having that massive horse show of one ethnical group tomorrow or something. It will be rough. I was wondering why it was so hard to get out from work today in Twopothouse as traffic was so heavy lol.

You'd swear the N20 was a great road compared to the detour... people seemed to decide 40kph was a reasonable speed to go. I put on the hazard lights at one stage I thought the person ahead of me had drifted off to sleep or had had a stroke or something and was just rolling along at 30kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You'd swear the N20 was a great road compared to the detour... people seemed to decide 40kph was a reasonable speed to go. I put on the hazard lights at one stage I thought the person ahead of me had drifted off to sleep or had had a stroke or something and was just rolling along at 30kph

I despair of that blasted N20 and wouldn't use it even for going to Limerick Cit-aaah. Much faster and less irritating to take the M8 as far as Mitchelstown and then cut through East Limerick to the N24 at Beary's Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Through Doneraile? Not a terrible detour I would have thought. There's a few dodgy spots in the Buttevant to Doneraile section but the rest of it is grand really. Unless something terrible happened to you in Doneraile which is well possible

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Quick NCT question,

Bought a car last week, NCT expired since January 2013. So would have been due again for test January 2015. (2 year as it is 2005)
    If I test it now, Will I get a fresh 12month NCT or only until January 2016?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jan 2016 I think, because it's late.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jan 2016 I think, because it's late.

Yes I think your correct. From my understanding,

I test it say tomorrow I get NCT January 2016... I can then literally test it straight away (Under the voluntary early test) and get NCT until July 2016.

But I'v to pay for 2 tests.

Or wait until November (Within 90days anniversary) and get NCT until January 2017.

What a load of bollox of the above is correct!

What's wrong with testing it and getting 12months from the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It disincentives late testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

New turbo time in about 8 hours :D the 9-5 is nearly done now, power wise anyways

New turbo time in about 8 hours :D the 9-5 is nearly done now, power wise anyways

Did you not need to get the ECU to go with new turbo?

• Advertisement

Did you not need to get the ECU to go with new turbo?

Nope, straight swap, it wont be as powerful as it should be, but if i was to get the ecu, I'd need a million other bits with it, and well balls to that, getting it remapped in the next three weeks anyways so it should see it sitting around 270/280bhp

She'll be some yoke to go then.

She'll be some yoke to go then.

That's the plan :D Just to get it to handle and stop like it moves then that'l be the next fun part

Dem feels when you find a picture of your own car. :P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishcarspotter/sets/72157655826377215

Anyone else look up their new postcode. Every house has a unique postcode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got mine already. :]
    [...] Every house has a unique postcode.

Not true. :p

joujoujou wrote: »

Not true. :p

Why has someone the same one as you?

Unregistered Users

That's not what I meant.

Many unoccupied houses (although not derelict) have no code at all.

See their map, go to rural area and search for house without a red dot (indicating code assigned) - you'll find plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yes.... that's the purpose of it. :P

I thought Ireland didn't have postcodes until this thing kicked in
    https://www.eircode.ie/

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Just one quick example off co. Mayo.

House in the middle, unoccupied for a while, has no red dot, thus no code assigned. Zoomed in top right corner.

355126.jpg

So, IF the house has a code, it is unique indeed. But not EVERY house has a code. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I do deliveries alot and i for one hope it's implemented properly and can be accessed via google maps and the like soon

Yes.... that's the purpose of it. :P

Not every country is like that. Take UK for example the postcode is for an area rather than each individual house or property.

Excellent idea IMO. Be great for both deliveries and emergency services.

Great idea but seemingly the codes aren't area related. You can have 2 houses side by side and have totally different codes.

Emergency services are saying that it will mean nobody can have a decent idea where the house is before setting out and will need the exact house.

Plenty of couriers aren't using it for this reason too.

Great idea but it wasn't implemented correctly sadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

its absolutely baffling to be honest. The UK postal code system is simple yet effective. Would it not have been such a bad idea to have copied theirs?

This new one is silly as someone said earlier, 2 houses with complete different codes? How will that make things any faster than currently now?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Not every country is like that. Take UK for example the postcode is for an area rather than each individual house or property.
    It's more accurate than an area. I've used it before and landed outside the exact house I was looking for in an estate, so it can take you very close rather than generally in the area.
    "Each postcode unit generally represents a street, part of a street, a single address, a group of properties, a single property, a sub-section of the property, an individual organisation or (for instance Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) a subsection of the organisation. The level of discrimination is often based on the amount of mail received by the premises or business"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I was most impressed at the quality of the map.....it's got my ma's house back home with proper dimensions, even has the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For anyone that likes to harp on about diesels not having a usable power band... this happened yesterday.

Had an IS200 overtake me and then got stuck behind traffic/turning vehicle. Anyway, he was dropping gears mighty and revving the hole off the car and attempted to tear off once his path was clear. Not only did he not pull away one inch, he had to change up way before I did, both in 3rd and 4th gear.

• Advertisement

An IS200 is lethargic though to be fair :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement