Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

GvidoR wrote: »
    No, no, no. Stay with BMW's. ;)

I might go back jap though, a supra would be amazing but i don't know about insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Or you could get yourself one of these. :)

51011114409491600x1060.jpg?itok=J3Gjsez-

Ha ha ha ha ha ha man only you :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha man only you :)

There's something about them and most soviet era cars. My dad had a Niva years and years ago when I was too young to remember it. Despite what he has said about them, I still want one. :D

The Nivas are very good at offroading though... when they work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

YbFocus wrote: »
    Then I'll buy a Tiida, or a Quashqai.

*puts on ignore*

:(

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    *puts on ignore*

:(

Already on ignore. . .

1. Sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You could buy a Niva brand new in the Uk a few years ago. I don't know if they are still being imported now though

You could buy a Niva brand new in the Uk a few years ago. I don't know if they are still being imported now though

You still can: http://markkey.co.uk/nivacar.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Test drive?
    How do they compare interior size and boot size to say an octavia or insignia?

Test drive wasn't enough to tell anything.

Boot space is shyte as is interior room. It was near €60k.

I'd prefer 3 Pulsars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Tomorrow for the first time in over ten years I'm sending a car to a mechanic for something other than tyres and tracking. Already feels weird just thinking about leaving it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Interslice wrote: »
    Tomorrow for the first time in over ten years I'm sending a car to a mechanic for something other than tyres and tracking. Already feels weird just thinking about leaving it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just back from London after a few days with the oh. We were staying in South Kensington so lots of mega rich around. My god the cars!
    Rolls Royce ghost, phantoms, Aston martins, Ferrari 458's were common enough. Maserati's were on every street corner and m3's and m5's were as common as 318d's and 520d's over here. Its wouldn't be an exaggeration to say you'd see a proper M BMW every few minutes.
    Saw a beautiful red m235i as well. Definitely a car on I'll be getting when they come down in price enough!
    The gf was giving out that the only pics I was taking were of cars and not of ourselves at the sights!!

A few pints afterwards, be grand :). Only getting the sump changed so nothing too major. Just don't have the time, axle stands are on other business, need to buy a new can of oil anyway and my mates a mechanic and owes me 100 euro and I'm not arsed doing it so it makes sense :P.

Interslice wrote: »

Actually that's bollux, got rusty brake pipes replaced on the lancer about 6 or 7 years ago. Hopefully get back in the humour for working on cars again when I'm finished college in september. Car needs a few bits done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Just back from a great meet and spin, which was this route:

Meet%20and%20Drive%20Cork_zpsbfg4e1tt.png

Here's a picture dump, I arrived late to the meet itself so didn't get much there.

DSCF0295_zpssywqdwfq.jpg

DSCF0296_zpsyk23d8cm.jpg

DSCF0297_zpsfj5x9hjn.jpg

DSCF0298_zpstkz3iyp3.jpg

DSCF0299_zps15ocywvy.jpg

DSCF0301_zpsxmrz8lpm.jpg

DSCF0302_zpsgr1f9su7.jpg

DSCF0303_zps6ibnf8dh.jpg

DSCF0308_zps4b5rqdwr.jpg

DSCF0311_zpszxochcgk.jpg

DSCF0321_zpsigecag0o.jpg

And for Gvidor, a VW tagged along :pac:

DSCF0323_zpsexcozgkp.jpg

If my terrible memory serves there was only 1 Diesel there :D

2 x M6, M3 CSL, E36 M3, 2 x 335i, E39 525i, 2 x 318is and a 320cd. The spin was one of my favorite motoring experiences so far, so much 6 cylinder noise and that CSL sounds godly in the Jack Lynch Tunnel!

And for Gvidor, a VW tagged along :pac:

Woohoo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That was a fair oul spin you guys went on.

That was a fair oul spin you guys went on.

It was but it was fantastic. The road between Kinsale and Innishannon is just phenomenal! Will be doing that drive more often :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

well, thats what pingu was saying all along....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Jaysus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

well, thats what pingu was saying all along....

sure postman pat is irish too:D
    the cranky ould feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

A or B? Although both are from the factory, A still looks like they were put on afterwards. A is 18" B is 17"

media?id=96cbcd4524c07b16466dff4292f27b1b

media?id=71a4003412206ff5b2a060abc288be96

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

As the fonz said

AYYYYYYYYY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

A

B are mank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

A all the way.
    mank +1 for B

Foxhole, did ye go for fish and chips or anything? Miss the ol summer evening spins down kinsale / west cork.
    Last night would have been savage for an ol Dino's or I hear the "catch of the day" guy near the bridge is very very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

A, although the arch gap looks odd. Narrower on the front of the back, and the back of the front.

A have a similar buzz to the Subaru Blitzen alloys, which tick a lot of boxes for me:
    01l.jpg?1340344676

B are sales rep wheels for a Mondeo, "honestly, it's almost as nice as a BMW"
    51aZll1xhNL._SY300_.jpg

Foxhole, did ye go for fish and chips or anything? Miss the ol summer evening spins down kinsale / west cork.
    Last night would have been savage for an ol Dino's or I hear the "catch of the day" guy near the bridge is very very good.

We didn't last night as we ended up in Ramen in Dennehys Cross and made lots of noise in the underground car park. A few other spins are planned with different places to end up eating with the lad near the bridge mentioned.

• Advertisement

Insurance renewal came in today, despite being a year older and have one more year NCB, it went up by €162. :mad:

€1112.60
    Third party only
    No windscreen cover or anything fancy
    20, 2Y NCB
    2001 Fiat Punto 1.2
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Insurance renewal came in today, despite being a year older and have one more year NCB, it went up by €162. :mad:

€1112.60
    Third party only
    20, 2Y NCB
    2001 Fiat Punto 1.2

Good Cheeses, that's half-way between larceny and straightforward buggery!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

€1112.60
    Third party only
    20, 2Y NCB
    2001 Fiat Punto 1.2

I'm dreading seeing mine... I paid €1300 last year (19, 0 NCB, full licence) and I'm hoping it doesn't go up... :mad:

I heard about insurance prices going up and all but I thought with me getting another year NCB it should stay the same as last year at the very least. It's time to shop around again. Not looking forward to this at all.

OSI wrote: »
    I love being old.

I hate being old at 27.

Jaysis, I'm really old, but it does have its advantages. :pac:

It's also annoying to know I have a discount at Aviva (-40% possibly on top of the 2 YNCB) which I can't use because they don't insure cars that are 2001 or older, apparently.

• Advertisement

It's also annoying to know I have a discount at Aviva (-40% possibly on top of the 2 YNCB) which I can't use because they don't insure cars that are 2001 or older, apparently.

Yeah it's a recent change in their underwriting terms. If you already have a policy with them on an older car as far as I know they'll continue insuring it or newer cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's mad, we must be the inly country in the world where the car buyer doesn't get to decided what car they want.

The government pick the engine size and the insurance company pick the age.

I wonder will we ever get to have nice cars without such a hard time.

There must be a load of well looked after cars that fall between the cracks of "normal, 2001+reg, insurance" and "classic/weekend use insurance".

You can't even change the factory radio now without violating the assumptions of many online quotes.

Making it illegal to not have insurance but leaving it open to private companies to make up the rules after that is a bit of a joke - they should either put 3rd party car insurance for the whole country out to tender every 5 years or make it a condition of competing in the Irish market that you cannot refuse to insure a car with NCT (even if there was a 5years experience, and a few other caveats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There must be a load of well looked after cars that fall between the cracks of "normal, 2001+reg, insurance" and "classic/weekend use insurance".

You can't even change the factory radio now without violating the assumptions of many online quotes.

Making it illegal to not have insurance but leaving it open to private companies to make up the rules after that is a bit of a joke - they should either put 3rd party car insurance for the whole country out to tender every 5 years or make it a condition of competing in the Irish market that you cannot refuse to insure a car with NCT (even if there was a 5years experience, and a few other caveats)
    That's particularly scummy on the Insurance companies behalf. I'd fight that one if they were trying to avoid a payout on me. How are we, the unprofessional lot, supposed to know what's factory and isn't on a used car? Best way is when you're getting the price and they ask if anything is non-standard, answer with "I don't think so, but do you want to send an assessor out to check?". They won't, and therefore you're covered!!

Called Munster Group. While on hold they keep saying "we offer the most competitive quotes" and then tell me €2036 for third party on that 1.2 Punto... I can't even...

• Advertisement

Called Munster Group. While on hold they keep saying "we offer the most competitive quotes" and then tell me €2036 for third party on that 1.2 Punto... I can't even...

Jesus wept

I might be selling my 900 :o

Jesus wept

I might be selling my 900 :o

Seems like I have to sell all of my cars, take out a loan and buy something 2005+ :rolleyes: :o

Seems like I have to sell all of my cars, take out a loan and buy something 2005+ :rolleyes: :o

Dont forget it has to be a diesel too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You would never get a loan, as you don't have a job. Unless that changed recently.

GvidoR wrote:
    Seems like I have to sell all of my cars, take out a loan and buy something 2005+

Ah it doesn't cost an awful lot to push up the years to an 05, not loan territory I'd hope! Should see some decent stuff at 3k.

What's wrong with you man! Strap on a pair and don't let some Ultan Shirt or clueless chungwan in some insurance office dictate what you can drive! From my cold, dead hand! Are we to be a nation of 1.4l diesel drivers because a bunch of assholes want maximum profit with zero-risk?? :mad:

jimgoose wrote: »
    What's wrong with you man! Strap on a pair and don't let some Ultan Shirt or clueless chungwan in some insurance office dictate what you can drive! From my cold, dead hand! Are we to be a nation of 1.4l diesel drivers because a bunch of assholes want maximum profit with zero-risk?? :mad:

Tis the only environmentally responsible thing to do maaan, crush all those old cars like you'd crush ice for a frappucino and buy a derv for smutting around the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

was looking for an a older thread, no hassle found it.

Tis the only environmentally responsible thing to do maaan, crush all those old cars like you'd crush ice for a frappucino and buy a derv for smutting around the city.

Bugger that! I wanna set fire to shít!! :D

Golf creamers and those of you in the know... is there any difference between these two mk6's... bar the wheels, does the one on the 17's have an added pack or anything? Seems to sit nicer on them wheels (sport suspension or something?) Hate the alloys on the first one, although they are on the majority of the 1.6's. Finding it very hard to justify the extra cost of a 2.0 gtd, when a 1.6 with the 17's looks the same ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-6-tdi-highline-105-bh/9847724

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-6-highline/9704858

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement