Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Ah feck that, I'm the same, ive found a good few cars owned by people i know :D

I'm getting a bit tired with the 900 and thinking of selling it, but i dunno what ill do for something else yknow :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Gorgeous car, built by Icetronix too so you know it's not a shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Yaaay :)
    19203494993_e3ceba8dfd_h.jpg

Still some work to be done, the hub bushes at the back need replacing (**** of a job in the car) and that bastard of a cat needs cutting off. Then it's new suspension all round (its a bit wallowy) and a new sump (as some ape made a hoor of the sump plug)

Then trickery stuff after that! I'm finally getting back on my feet after a disastrous year so far for everything and everyone close to me involved :)

While at the ensiti NCT centre, a gentleman was retesting his car ahead of me. It failed, as he had done nothing since the last retest. Yes, ya heard me, its a retest after a retest (yo dawg I heard you like retests). So he has to retest it again. What a dummy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Probably wanted to do a retest again instead of a full test?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Probably wanted to do a retest again instead of a full test?
    From what i gathered he had failed, done a retest, failed that and failed the retest for the retest. The mind boggles!

Any other geniuses here at the trim car show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I used to go to pretty much every show in the Dub / Meath / Kildare area and also other shows in Westmeath & Cork. Got a pain in my bollix standing around in wet fields for hours while cheeky brats smeared their sticky hands all over my polished paintwork.

I'd rather go for a drive somewhere TBH.

Theres a trans am done like kitt and a hape of hand prints. I want to cry. People haven't a clue :(
    OSI wrote: »
    I do all I can to avoid Trim, but I do have half decent memories of the car show from years back. Any good this year DGT?

Its much the same as last year. Lovely Peugeot 301 cabrio let, Jaguar XK (I think?) and a lovely Bertone Strada cabrio catching my eye though. My aim to have something here next year, theres a 95 C class hiding here :D either that or my E34

Even the autojumble isn't as good as last year :(

Was behind this beaut in Tralee earlier. The noise out of it was incredible. California yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

dgt wrote: »
    Theres a trans am done like kitt and a hape of hand prints. I want to cry. People haven't a clue :(
    :(

Yep, saw the TA getting pawed by half the crowd. One toddler definately slapped it with an ice-creamed hand after his mother told him not to touch it. I don't blame people for leaving their stuff at home in the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Hello there,

I went for a drive into town this evening and upon copping this on the roadside and getting sick with laughter I turned around and went back to grab a pic for ye :)

I'm not sure whether its a funny guy having a laugh or someone that is somehow put it on in a serious fashion?

355754.jpg

355755.jpg

Ultimate sleeper lawd :pac:

Ultimate sleeper lawd :pac:

The ASA wheels reek of killer performance!

YbFocus wrote: »
    The ASA wheels reek of killer performance!

I bet its packing an RB26 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

Was behind this beaut in Tralee earlier. The noise out of it was incredible. California yo!

California T! Very nice

I always thought that once you passed 2008, diesel car's tax dropped fairly substantially. I just checked the tax on an 09 Vitara (1.9 diesel) and it's €1,200 per year?! That's madness. I genuinely expected any diesel post-08 was gonna be cheaper to tax.

• Advertisement

I always thought that once you passed 2008, diesel car's tax dropped fairly substantially. I just checked the tax on an 09 Vitara (1.9 diesel) and it's €1,200 per year?! That's madness. I genuinely expected any diesel post-08 was gonna be cheaper to tax.

After june 08 I think

UhOh wrote: »
    California T! Very nice

Smashing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I suppose it's emissions were high. Only thing I can think of.

After june 08 I think

Oh I know when it changed, but I was just under the impression that all diesels fared out well because of the change. Didn't realise there were any out there that actually had a tax bracket that was more desirable before the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh I know when it changed, but I was just under the impression that all diesels fared out well because of the change. Didn't realise there were any out there that actually had a tax bracket that was more desirable before the change.

Some diesel cars aren't that fuel efficient. Aerodynamics, weight etc.
    In most cases with diesel , the post 08 is cheaper though.

If the vitara was registered here before July 08, it would be taxed as a 2.0 as this is the cheaper of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

355813.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Shopping around for insurance sure is fun :rolleyes:

rntmX1X.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

1200 aint too bad?

1200 aint too bad?

If I paid €1200-1500 last year it wouldn't seem that bad, but I paid €950 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

GvidoR wrote: »

rntmX1X.png

I'll tell you a funny one. Allianz were classing a HDI C5 estate as a 'high performance car' and the engine was too big so they wouldn't quote me.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I'll tell you a funny one. Allianz were classing a HDI C5 estate as a 'high performance car' and the engine was too big so they wouldn't quote me.

I've no hope so :pac:

I've no hope so :pac:

I just laughed and hung up the phone. AXA wanted some silly app on my phone where if have to record 90 journeys every three months. I do a lot of night work so I passed on that one too. Don't want my premium loaded because I drive a lot at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

rntmX1X.png

That's disgraceful compared to last years quote, year older plus extra NCB.

I'm hoping mine comes down rather than up this year when my insurance is up.

My thoughts exactly. After hearing that the prices went up, I was hoping my renewal would AT LEAST stay the same, but no. :(

The guy on the phone at Chill insurance said that I should go with my renewal because nobody will even come close that price. Apparently thirty-something year olds pay similar prices.

Mine went up. Bearing in mind I'm also driving a high performance car now, the scourge of the road. Terroriser of grannies across the country.

Last year. 589, renewal was 670 and on the Citroen, 880.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Haven't posted here in ages, been busy with work and holidays! Have I missed anything interesting? :)

I'm getting half notions of changing up my own car now... itchy for something new (and faster!!).

But for now I'm looking for tyres. Anybody know what the different letters after the tyre names mean on Oponeo? Like with Dunlop for example, they have SP SportMaxx RT XL, MFS, MO and SP SportMaxx RT XL, MFS. What's the significance of these letters?

dorgasm wrote: »
    Haven't posted here in ages, been busy with work and holidays! Have I missed anything interesting? :)

Define 'interesting' :pac:

Define 'interesting' :pac:

Business as usual. Nowt exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

dorgasm wrote: »
    But for now I'm looking for tyres. Anybody know what the different letters after the tyre names mean on Oponeo? Like with Dunlop for example, they have SP SportMaxx RT XL, MFS, MO and SP SportMaxx RT XL, MFS. What's the significance of these letters?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Additional_marks
    http://www.michelin.ie/tyres/learn-share/tyre-basics/how-to-read-a-tyre-side-wall

MFS Maximum flange sheild/rim protector
    MO - original mercedes
    XL - extra load
    SP - Guessing sport
    RT - Racing technology

Had to google all of them bar XL :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My thoughts exactly. After hearing that the prices went up, I was hoping my renewal would AT LEAST stay the same, but no. :(

The guy on the phone at Chill insurance said that I should go with my renewal because nobody will even come close that price. Apparently thirty-something year olds pay similar prices.

In fairness, I found the guys at Chill to be quite sound. Came back with the best quote for me this year, just shy of €900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

In fairness, I found the guys at Chill to be quite sound. Came back with the best quote for me this year, just shy of €900.

I found they were 300 hundred more for tpft than 25plus.ie fully comp with AIG.

I rang chill insurance...
    "We have access to every operator operating in Ireland, you won't get a better price anywhere"

Complete lies. AIG are one of their insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Insurance really is disgraceful this year. I rang Liberty and asked about swapping the car on my policy from a 98 750i (5.4 V12, 326hp) to a 01 520i M-Sport (2.2 I6, 170hp) and they said my insurance would go up from 212 a month to 236!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is it really a thing where once a car hits 10 years old, it's much harder to insure???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Is it really a thing where once a car hits 10 years old, it's much harder to insure???

It was for me anyways.. It seems that the newer the car, the cheaper it is to insure (dont know how that works out, surely a newer car will cost more to repair if in a crash!)

It wouldve been cheaper for me to get insured on a '09 Vw Polo 1.4tdi, than a '03 Vw Polo 1.4tdi.

• Advertisement

Oh god yeah MM! I was told my insurance won't drop much more due to the age of the car loading the premium. I'm at €540 now!
    The car is a 99 for god's sake, passing tests like any other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I know for a fact that my car as a 2007 is in MUCH better condition than a lot of newer cars around here. Chronicles of Riddick!!

I know for a fact that my car as a 2007 is in MUCH better condition than a lot of newer cars around here. Chronicles of Riddick!!

Yeah but its so old though MM jesus! Get a new car for fcuk's sake!
    Nice 152 plate Sandero...

James+May+500x_greatnews_2011_bmw_x3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Insurance makes no sense, I've given up trying to put any logical sense behind it. I rang then a couple of months ago to price check a Cupra and it was more expensive than my diesel FR. Was getting 50 quid back with 6 months left on the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

Insurance makes no sense, I've given up trying to put any logical sense behind it.

Agreed, changing car soon here, was told by the insurance company that there would be no additional charge from the current 2.0 diesel 140ps valued at less then half the 2.0 petrol with +300ps I'll be changing to....not that I'm complaining mind :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Had to go to Craig Avon today, that place must be in the ninth circle of hell

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Had to go to Craig Avon today, that place must be in the ninth circle of hell

I did warn ya it was a dump :D

Insurance is strange. As I changed cars the lower the hp the more expensive it got. From 150bhp working my way down to a miserable 68 cost each step of the way. The final insult was the 406's, classed as high performance and high risk. They never said that about my 95 Merc which has more power on paper and is a bit older...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

dgt wrote: »
    I did warn ya it was a dump :D

Insurance is strange. As I changed cars the lower the hp the more expensive it got. From 150bhp working my way down to a miserable 68 cost each step of the way. The final insult was the 406's, classed as high performance and high risk. They never said that about my 95 Merc which has more power on paper and is a bit older...

Thats because cars with low hp are in more accidents.....maybe

Thats because cars with low hp are in more accidents.....maybe

Its a strange one either way and I sure don't like it.

For the shneer I must get a quote on the petrol behemoths here (all the 3.0 + stuff) and then on the E300TD I once had.

Wonder can I fiddle the tractor policy :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Any boardsbros able to suggest some left field insurers ?

Mine is out on the 27th and nobody is able to beat my renewal quote of 717 with all the bells and whistles sofar :(

Bad when you can't insure an aul standard focus hai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Any boardsbros able to suggest some left field insurers ?

Mine is out on the 27th and nobody is able to beat my renewal quote of 717 with all the bells and whistles sofar :(

Bad when you can't insure an aul standard focus hai
    What did 123.ie or 25plus come back with?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement