Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Is it really a thing where once a car hits 10 years old, it's much harder to insure???

Definitely a thing. I tried all sorts of car changes with Aviva. For example, they won't provide me a quote on a '04 2.5L Z4, but if I were to insure a '10+ 3.0L Z4, I'd get a refund on my current policy. I tried the same with a '15 Golf R for sh*ts and giggles and they quoted me just over €550. Absolute madness! Makes me lean towards taking a loan for my next car and getting something newer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What did 123.ie or 25plus come back with?

123/axa/aa all around the 850 mark

Current insurer 717

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

That with or without mods as I looked recently and 123 was 600 I think for me.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    That with or without mods as I looked recently and 123 was 600 I think for me.

What mods ?

Shurre it's all stickytape and tinfoil and imagination

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    I did warn ya it was a dump :D

The place I was going to was an industrial estate so that was a given.
    It was chuffing getting there, there is a sign off one of the Newry exits for Craigavon, little did I realise it's about another 35 miles off that exit and the roads are pure shoite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

^ BIT AH RAIN :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Sobanek wrote: »
    ^ BIT AH RAIN :pac:

Pie-Chart-I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Jaysus I need another Golf cabrio :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

And this! possibly

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1989-ford-sierra-4x4/9949512?offset=2

• Advertisement

You have my blessing. :P

4422294637_b12d897189_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's pretty cool. What power would that be putting out?

150 by the spec on this thing

http://www.autosnout.com/Car-Performance-Statistics.php?EditionID=818

146 hp, 229 nm of torque when new.

Very little for a 2.9 V6 by modern engine standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

GvidoR wrote: »
    146 hp, 229 nm of torque when new.

Very little for a 2.9 V6 by modern engine standards.

I would be willing to forgive the low power. Very cool car and probably still quick off the line with 4WD!

150 as you said toasted. looked it up myself on parkers.
    It is the 2.9 GLS 4x4

Not alot for the size of the engine as you said GvidoR.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ford/sierra/hatchback-1982/

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I would be willing to forgive the low power. Very cool car and probably still quick off the line with 4WD!

I'd love a 4WD car just for the craic, Id take a lancia just because :cool:

and i'd love this, don't understand why there's no price though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-300-sel-3-5/9855454?offset=22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'd love a 4WD car just for the craic, Id take a lancia just because :cool:

and i'd love this, don't understand why there's no price though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-300-sel-3-5/9855454?offset=22

If you have to ask...

That is the E55 AMG of the 60s

If you have to ask...

Ah! Well that shows me then :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

If you have to ask...

S55*
    E-Class equivalent from that time would be a W114.
    Most powerful from that range was a 280E with a 2.8 I6 that produced 185hp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Spent about 30 mins generating a post with loads of pics about a bit of diy I done with the focus lately, and the phone crashes. Ffs! Looks like ye'll have to wait a while until I can be arsed to upload them again!

Spent about 30 mins generating a post with loads of pics about a bit of diy I done with the focus lately, and the phone crashes. Ffs! Looks like ye'll have to wait a while until I can be arsed to upload them again!

Ah technology. When she works all good but when things go south you feel like smashing the F-ing things.

What spec is this passat, has a mix of everything? Seems to be nice. Them alloys aren't standard I don't think?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9892695

Lots of blanking plates lead me to believe it's a base model, or close that. Appears to have 4 Motion (4WD).

I don't like the wood around the instrument cluster though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What spec is this passat, has a mix of everything? Seems to be nice. Them alloys aren't standard I don't think?

Volkswage Bassat! With Glof wheels. Wer de bass at

She ain't no agri spec though...
    11751148_849879888394539_591742265_n.jpg?oh=3f3507c519e33369ae44fae766a0068f&oe=55AFF736

• Advertisement

Jaysus... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Jaysus... :eek:

I really, really want to see a car on the road with Scania V8 pipes :D:D:D
    1513878_411645372351474_2039765342255573028_n.jpg?oh=acc7a0ee7cf67bbec2e76ef16ddd5759&oe=565186B9

Ya I'm not gone on the wood either, but it's fair common on the earlier of that generation. Motorcheck says ot's a comfortline, cartell says it's an se, as it's an import, so basic enough. Has a nicer front end than a standard comfortline though.

I was trying to put my finger on the alloys, maybe they are from a golf, look like the ones on the sportline, but not fully convinced they are.

They're OEM for sure. B5.5 Passat had very similar ones.

Or are they A4 B7 wheels with VW centre caps? Hmmm

Used_Audi_A4_2005_Black_Saloon_Diesel_Manual_for_Sale_in_Peterborough_UK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got some Eagle F1s from openeo, very impressed. 235/45/18 for 150 a corner, 70 for fitting, balancing, tracking.

Not bad when tyre place was asking 230 a corner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

dgt wrote: »
    Volkswage Bassat! With Glof wheels. Wer de bass at

She ain't no agri spec though...

Those truck mud flaps!!!!! :confused:

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got some Eagle F1s from openeo, very impressed. 235/45/18 for 150 a corner, 70 for fitting, balancing, tracking.

Not bad when tyre place was asking 230 a corner

Good tyre alright excellent grip but sidewalls abit thinner/softer than most which on the upside gives abit more comfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Got the 156 back today. Has a nice clean leak free sump fitted and 2 working foglights now. Hopefully the end of all it's oil leaks.

Got an application letter from Munster Group insurance. It's funny how they think I will get insured with them even after I said that the quote they gave me was twice as high as my renewal.

In the 'required documents' section they also want a signed social, domestic & pleasure declaration. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lads. Meet?

Lads. Meet?

Somewhere in the Mayo/Roscommon/Leitrim area? :D

OSI wrote: »
    Too right. Last 2 sets had to be replaced from side wall punctures. Awesome tyre, but I'm not sure I could live with the 9,000km life span and avoiding every edge, kerb and pothole like the plague again.

Tbh only tyre ive driven on with softer sidewalls were the uniroyal rs3s.

The vredisteins were a very good tyre overall but harsher over bumps. Very little in it and great durability.

Goodyears provide comical levels of grip though which is always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Looks like Comfortline, doubt it's really 4motion. That's a high reg for Leitrim, usually those numbers are imports, although the km clock is at odds with that. Looks well tired and worn out, 143k miles on the clock, wouldn't be surprised if it had nearly twice that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pov06 wrote: »
    Those truck mud flaps!!!!! :confused:

All that *spec and no towbar. So disappointing.

*= spectacularly bad taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit worried now that you guys had trouble with the sidewalls, but i do make it my business to avoid kerbs, potholes etc, can't be said for other people the drive my car even if it is rare occurrence.

Was looking at reviews and they seemed to get the best out of most reviews. Big change from my accelera phi's though I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Drive her on tá fúc! :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Tbh only tyre ive driven on with softer sidewalls were the uniroyal rs3s.

The vredisteins were a very good tyre overall but harsher over bumps. Very little in it and great durability.

Goodyears provide comical levels of grip though which is always good.

The goodyear efficient grip I had were the same. Side walls are paper thin. Had to replace one on mine and one the fathers cars. The Stony roads of potholes will kill them.
    Bit worried now that you guys had trouble with the sidewalls, but i do make it my business to avoid kerbs, potholes etc, can't be said for other people the drive my car even if it is rare occurrence.

Was looking at reviews and they seemed to get the best out of most reviews. Big change from my accelera phi's though I reckon

Make sure to keep your tyre pressure up so the sidewalls dont bulge out. I think that what caused the stones and potholes to puncture mine.

I just put on my second set and im very picky. Even with massive spacers I haven't kerbed mine yet.

Some people just love hopping off kerbs :p

Great tyre just watch your tyre pressures as they have a tendency to always look slightly flat if car has a heavy front end.

Tea 1000 wrote:
    Looks like Comfortline, doubt it's really 4motion. That's a high reg for Leitrim, usually those numbers are imports, although the km clock is at odds with that. Looks well tired and worn out, 143k miles on the clock, wouldn't be surprised if it had nearly twice that!

1500 high for Leitrim?

The electronic clock is in km, but the dial displays miles.

Nothing great about it, just looks a bit different is all. I think it looks fairly fresh tbh, no tears, or worn buttons etc, from what we can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Z4's are starting to get cheap, if I had money I'd consider a 2.5 litre!

I've been looking too, great prices on donedeal now. I'd love one now while I can get away with a 2 seater as my daily :)

I can't find anywhere to give me a sane quote on a ~2004 2.2L or 2.5L model though. What do you think of Z4 Coupe? I'd have one of them over the roadster personally. You don't see many of them around, a real head turner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

According to what was mentioned earlier, they're getting more expensive to insure :(

According to what was mentioned earlier, they're getting more expensive to insure :(

Yup, that was me I think. If I were to switch to the 2.2L (which has the exact same M54B22 engine as my own car, although I know this isn't the only factor), my monthly installments would increase from €99 to €185. That's just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Somewhere in the Mayo/Roscommon/Leitrim area? :D
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Damn convertible tax :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement