Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

If they were even remotely funny I'd see the point, but they're not at all. Pointless I think hits the nail on the head

Exactly, they are more for ourselves really but they have grown to a little audience :)
    Pointless though is a perfectly good term to use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I can't be the only one that thinks these are pure shíte?[/B]
    If they were even remotely funny I'd see the point, but they're not at all. Pointless I think hits the nail on the head
    Hal1 wrote: »
    A big dramatic climax with the music going on an all, and then nothing just a few messers with rattle cans...whhhhhhhhhhyyy :pac:.

Are those comments not a bit harsh?
    I thought the video was good. Went to an effort to make it and also doing some mechanical work on a car. Doing work like that on a car on your back is times you wished you had a pit or heist. Not that I ever fitted a gearbox but I know from experience being under a car on my back it is a bítch, no where to move your arms or anything.

I thought the video was good. Went to an effort to make it and also doing some mechanical work on a car. Doing work like that on a car on your back is times you wished you had a pit or heist. Not that I ever fitted a gearbox but I know from experience being under a car on my back it is a bítch, no where to move your arms or anything.

Cian loves editing and films literally everything, from his bike vlogs to this kind of thing! Most love it and his subscribers are getting bigger each week which is good.
    I wouldn't say they were harsh, some people react to them that way, they are totally pointless and if you haven't got the same sense of humour as us you can easily sit there going WTF? I understand that :)

We're all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

It would be funny if everyone had the same sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

11755092_920021241369493_4936933650003963186_n.jpg?oh=2e3e06879e931908a48c518ce8dcf16a&oe=5616981D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You don't get your arse licked just because you posted something on the internet. It's one of many videos Yb has posted at this stage (these and the bike ones), and all of them have been pure nonsense shíte - I actually feel robbed of minutes of my life after watching it. I'm pretty easy going in terms of sense of humor, but I can't even figure out how someone would think its funny.

I'd say most of the regulars work on their own cars here. In general not to the extent of gearbox out, but then you've the likes of dgt who can swap an engine in under an hour. But the video shows nothing actually being done either... its like something you'd expect a transition year to produce.

You don't get your arse licked just because you posted something on the internet. It's one of many videos Yb has posted at this stage (these and the bike ones), and all of them have been pure nonsense shíte - I actually feel robbed of minutes of my life after watching it. I'm pretty easy going in terms of sense of humor, but I can't even figure out how someone would think its funny.

I'd say most of the regulars work on their own cars here. In general not to the extent of gearbox out, but then you've the likes of dgt who can swap an engine in under an hour. But the video shows nothing actually being done either... its like something you'd expect a transition year to produce.

You should no better than to watch them so!! I found it half interesting. There the inside of a nissan box. RWD so handy. Be fitting a FWD box with some mates tomorrow night. Similar mix of arsing about and trying not to get thick at each other!

You don't get your arse licked just because you posted something on the internet..

You have a serious problem, things can only go the way you like them, when I got my new sig a few months ago you were like a dick towards it. If you go onto any of the other forums on boards.ie you see large size sigs and nobody reports them. Duke O Smiley got a new Citroen sig and was taking down on him for being too large and it would not put it past you if it was you who reported his signature.

Like I said they are just fun man, leave it out.
    If you have a problem and they are consistently not funny to you refrain from watching them.
    It's a bit much the way you are going on.

I reckon I know you don't like them at this stage, or maybe I'm reading you wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

YbFocus wrote: »
    The fecker was hanging around all day!
    I hate the things :)

How well ye all know that is me?? :confused:

Edit: Yeah yeah spraying the boot :o

You're face pops up from time to time on Facebook....hard to forget :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I actually feel robbed of minutes of my life after watching it.

So you've watched more than one despite clearly not liking them. Are you okay or whats the craic like

You're face pops up from time to time on Facebook....hard to forget :p

Forgot that angle too, I realise I'm stunning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I liked the Gymkhana ones with the Volvo but the rest of them don't do much for me. That said I do appreciate the editing and affects.

Any chance of a 'Toyota' video? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I liked the Gymkhana ones with the Volvo but the rest of them don't do much for me. That said I do appreciate the editing and affects.

Can't afford too premium

Big Nasty wrote: »

We just can't afford to Big N sorry man.
    We wouldn't have the correct vibe to pull off owning a Lexus.
    You'd see straight through it!
    I for one would be totally unable to praise them to the level that is needed to be accurate.

And if our videos are one thing, then damn it its accurate :D

I will speak to cian about a low budget shoot, corolla badged up, who'd know the difference!

• Advertisement

So you've watched more than one despite clearly not liking them. Are you okay or whats the craic like

Because Yb is a sound poster I said I'd give him the benefit of the doubt when he said "best video yet". IIRC the previous one he posted was bike-related so I figured that'd be different. And the gymkhana one was good.
    when I got my new sig a few months ago you were like a dick towards it.
    Yeah, because it was making the forum unreadable with a gigantic image every second or third post. If you want to keep feeling butthurt over an image on the internet thats your problem, not mine.

If you want to keep feeling butthurt over an image on the internet thats your problem, not mine.

I brought that up to make a point that it seems to be your way or the highway. Do you not realize how nasty your comments were towards the video I multi quoted them and then you make a point about ass licking, then you say butthurt. I mentioned about my signature as it was only you who seemed to have a problem with it and then you downloaded it and checked the dimensions and size.

edit: Also I have no problem with my sig being too big and having to be taking down I just wanted to bring that up along with the videos as has been shown by you towards YbFocus's videos and also my sig.

I will speak to cian about a low budget shoot, corolla badged up, who'd know the difference!

Gotta be done - looking forward to it dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

GvidoR wrote: »
    11755092_920021241369493_4936933650003963186_n.jpg?oh=2e3e06879e931908a48c518ce8dcf16a&oe=5616981D

Air≠Hydropneumatic :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CM will ya calm down to fvck. Hachiko got his frillies in a frolic earlier and now you're dervin' down the same drive.

Chill!

• Advertisement

I put this on Carthrottle and it's gone wild :)

I put this on Carthrottle and it's gone wild :)

I upvoted it. There's no mention of me though. :(:pac:

I upvoted it. There's no mention of me though. :(:pac:

I don't know who you are on CT :)

I don't know who you are on CT :)

I'm known as Dumpling over there, hahah. :P

:D

Anyone know anything about the Fiat Sedici?

Brothers wife is looking for a car and said she seen a Sedici online that she liked. I never heard of it before but a Google of it and the first thing I thought was that it was a Suzuki SX4 (incidentally, I also know nothing of the SX4).

Brother is thinking of taking a spin out to look at it tomorrow, so I just thought I'd ask here if anyone had ever heard of it or anything good or bad to look out for. I think it's a 1.6 petrol.

Personally I think it's nice (not something I'd drive myself though). Boot looks like it should be about a foot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

:D

50 Km/h is so slow especially when it's on the likes of a national road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone know anything about the Fiat Sedici?

Brothers wife is looking for a car and said she seen a Sedici online that she liked. I never heard of it before but a Google of it and the first thing I thought was that it was a Suzuki SX4 (incidentally, I also know nothing of the SX4).

Brother is thinking of taking a spin out to look at it tomorrow, so I just thought I'd ask here if anyone had ever heard of it or anything good or bad to look out for. I think it's a 1.6 petrol.

Personally I think it's nice (not something I'd drive myself though). Boot looks like it should be about a foot longer.

Sedici is Italian for 16 (4X4)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sedici is Italian for 16 (4X4)

Smart arse :D:P

job seeker wrote: »
    50 Km/h is so slow especially when it's on the likes of a national road.

Here's something annoying that I just copped.

I got caught here outside Newcatsle West doing 65km/h. That VW garage is long gone but was there at the time. The shnakey Garda was hiding behind that VW sign which is also long gone.

This was 3AM Saturday morning on the May bank holiday weekend so the Gardaí were everywhere. Rally of the Lakes in Killarney was on that weekend and this is the main route to it.

What I just copped was where I was caught is actually a 60km/h stretch and doesn't change to 50 for another few yards here.

I pulled in just after that 50 sign. I know I was still breaking the limit by a few km/h but still! 65 in a 60. I feel very hard done by now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

YbFocus wrote:
    Cians best video to date!

Ah cool ballyragget, I know one or two from there, probably will be going to a wedding there in August!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Here's something annoying that I just copped.

I got caught here outside Newcatsle West doing 65km/h. That VW garage is long gone but was there at the time. The shnakey Garda was hiding behind that VW sign which is also long gone.

This was 3AM Saturday morning on the May bank holiday weekend so the Gardaí were everywhere. Rally of the Lakes in Killarney was on that weekend and this is the main route to it.

What I just copped was where I was caught is actually a 60km/h stretch and doesn't change to 50 for another few yards here.

I pulled in just after that 50 sign. I know I was still breaking the limit by a few km/h but still! 65 in a 60. I feel very hard done by now :o

i got 4 points for doing 180 k in a 60 zone in dublin a few years ago dont feel so bad now:pac:
    great feeling getting that letter of points removal, you got screwed over 5kph -like shooting fish in a barrel the may bank holiday they must have quotas to fill ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The US electricity grid consists of three main regions (East, West, and Texas), which the authors further split into nine smaller regions as defined by the North American Electricity Reliability Corporation (NERC). Apparently there isn't much transmission of electricity between the main regions, but the authors assume that within the nine NERC subregions, the pollution from an EV charging will be the same regardless of the county. Finally, monetary values for the social costs of pollution come from the EPA for carbon dioxide and the AP2 model for local pollutants. And in case that wasn't enough, they weighed the statistics for vehicle miles traveled in each county to get a sense of how important driving distances are.

The result of all this complex mathematics is that, outside of a number of Californian and Texan cities, driving an EV may result in more damage from pollution than driving an equivalent conventional car. In Los Angeles, which has a lot of traffic and which benefits from relatively clean electricity, an EV is the right choice, they argue. Alternatively, the rural midwest is the opposite story, since the low population density means comparatively little air pollution from traffic, but electricity comes from lots of coal power stations. But even Chicago and New York fare badly under their model, despite both cities paying a hefty price from conventional traffic pollution.

I'd love to see a study here in Ireland or the UK and see how it fares.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/how-much-do-electric-cars-actually-pollute/

Mycroft H wrote: »

Not really surprising news.... just giving actual figures which now back up arguments against EVs (which is good - it might actually provoke some thought). It doesn't matter if the fossil fuel is being burnt in the car or in a power station to create energy, it's still being burnt.

Obviously once there's a larger switch to energy production from solar power as opposed to fossil fuels (which Tesla products should allow easily), EVs will make more sense from the "green" perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

all the emissions from cars doesn't compare to trucks, buses, and factories. look at all the smoggy ****e in china and they're all on motorbikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just got my renewal quote from Axa, 824. AIG will do it for 677, time to change I think!

Mycroft H wrote: »

Driving an EV may result.... I think what that is saying is that because the power stations aren't in cities there is an export of emmisions to the countryside/other counties where the power is being made. It's twisted a bit, as journalists do, into EV's making more pollutions over a wider geographic area equating to more pollution from EV use in rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I've been reading an old article on pistonheads regarding correct gear changes. The guy who wrote it is an advanced police driving instructor. It's well worth the read even if you already know what it entails to brush up on your driving skills.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=154&t=361550&mid=75577&i=0&nmt=Zen+and+the+art+of+changing+gear.&mid=75577

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

thats a good read already do some of that except I do blip, not slowly like he recommends except going from second down to first. not sure why he's recommending the pause in neutral though,I thought there's no point in pausing unless you're double clutching.. and I don't really see the point in double clutching on public roads unless you don't have synchromesh or can't get the revs just right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Park like a dick, get treated like a dick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been reading an old article on pistonheads regarding correct gear changes. The guy who wrote it is an advanced police driving instructor. It's well worth the read even if you already know what it entails to brush up on your driving skills.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=154&t=361550&mid=75577&i=0&nmt=Zen+and+the+art+of+changing+gear.&mid=75577

Cool post. For the most part I rev match as is, but there's some good tips in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I wonder if some of this has been made redundant with modern cars. I know I used to use some of these techniques but it seems to me that clutch delay valves can turn some "smooth driving" techniques into the opposite! Going up the box at least.

I was thought taught to drive with the thumb up, thumb down hand positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I know some modern cars keep revs high for a very little while to keep smooth gear change-ups.

What I do is hold in the clutch for a bit longer and when the revs come down I engage the gear. I try to put as little strain on the clutch as possible and don't usually gear down unless navigating a series of bends that caught me unawares :pac:. Gears to go brakes to slow etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

What I do is hold in the clutch for a bit longer and when the revs come down I engage the gear. I try to put as little strain on the clutch as possible and don't usually gear down unless navigating a series of bends that caught me unawares :pac:. Gears to go brakes to slow etc.

Actually releasing the clutch pedal slowly means there's more friction and the clutch gets more strain than just dumping it. The idea is that your blip the accelerator to reduce most friction and then you can dump the clutch and not have much jerkiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

There's definitely a big difference in changing on newer cars. The newest car I've driven is a '14 A4 and the changes were an absolute dream compared to my own '04 3er.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I do all of that. Large trucks force you to practice pretty much all that your man describes, they startle easily and won't be lashed around like a Fireblade. :pac:

Pov06 wrote: »
    Actually releasing the clutch pedal slowly means there's more friction and the clutch gets more strain than just dumping it. The idea is that your blip the accelerator to reduce most friction and then you can dump the clutch and not have much jerkiness.

I don't disengage slowly it's one swift action I just delay that action by a second or so until the revs are reasonably matched to engage the next gear for a smooth gear change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I don't disengage slowly it's one swift action I just delay that action by a second or so until the revs are reasonably matched to engage the next gear for a smooth gear change.

That makes sense if you're up-shifting.

I assumed you do this while down-shifting :pac:

Clutches? What are these clutches you speak of?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement