Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Clutches? What are these clutches you speak of?

Pleb alert!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Pov06 wrote: »
    That makes sense if you're up-shifting.

I assumed you do this while down-shifting :pac:

What, this is only when I'm up shifting. Gears for going brakes to slowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hal1 wrote: »
    I don't disengage slowly it's one swift action I just delay that action by a second or so until the revs are reasonably matched to engage the next gear for a smooth gear change.

I found the alfa used to grind slightly going into third if you shift up from second too fast at high rpm, >6k or so. If I just let the revs drop from 7k to 5k in neutral before I shift into third it's 100%.

Double clutching is great for smaller revvy petrol engines when dropping from 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd to overtake. Would recommend trying it. It doesn't have any dodge factor like left foot braking or heel tow either. The instant power when over taking makes it quicker and safer, with no strain on your gearbox, clutch and engine. You can even go from 5th into 2nd if you stuck behind a tractor or something.

Try this.
    5th @ 2300 rpm/80km/hr
    clutch in, neutral, clutch out
    Still in neutral with clutch out blip throttle to 4300rpm or what ever. Helps to learn your gear box to match it perfectly.
    clutch in, 3rd, clutch out and off you go.

By letting the clutch out in neutral and blipping the throttle you rev match both the engine and most of the gearbox and not just the engine. When you get used to it it can be done pretty quick. You don't have to even fully release the clutch while in neutral as your only using the engine to spin shafts inside the gearbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

IS220d - any good?

*totally unrelated to Hachiko, looking for honest opinions*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Sobanek wrote: »
    IS220d - any good?

*totally unrelated to Hachiko, looking for honest opinions*

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Any reason as for why they aren't? How do they compare to the e90 320d?

2.2 diesel is somewhat unreliable and not as frugal as some of the alternatives

Much better options out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

They would be seriously hard on diesel compared to a 320d. youd be talking 30 mpg even on longer trips. Not sure what a 320d would do but it would certainly do 40mpg I would say.

The bmw 2 litre diesel unit has it's haters but it has the nicest power delivery of all the 4 pot turf burners imo

I'd be a long way off a BMW lover but would have an e90 320d over an is220d anyway of the week. Just my opinion though some love the look of the is220d.

• Advertisement

Would the IS250 be better in terms of reliability?

Alot of 220d's you see on the roads seem quite smokey. In general the germans do better diesel engines than the japaneese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The bmw 2 litre diesel unit has it's haters but it has the nicest power delivery of all the 4 pot turf burners imo

Shes no d-turbo though

dgt wrote: »
    Shes no d-turbo though

Id buy a 406 daily just for their excellent leather interiors mmm moo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Aviva and Allianz are now refusing to insure vehicles 15 years or older (if starting off a new policy). I know they caused a bit of agro with older cars before, but their excuses about bad tyres/poorly maintained is a bit of a pathetic excuse, tarring everyone with the same brush. There are cars 15 years or older out there that are in better condition than 8/9 year old cars. Ridiculous. Insurance companies are let run a muc and get away with everything!

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...their excuses about bad tyres/poorly maintained...

Someone should explain to them that many cars have replaceable tyres, as well as most of the service items. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Aviva and Allianz are now refusing to insure vehicles 15 years or older (if starting off a new policy). I know they caused a bit of agro with older cars before, but their excuses about bad tyres/poorly maintained is a bit of a pathetic excuse, tarring everyone with the same brush. There are cars 15 years or older out there that are in better condition than 8/9 year old cars. Ridiculous. Insurance companies are let run a muc and get away with everything!

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

They will be doing it in a bid to try and control what kind of cars we drive, they would like nothing more than for all of us to scrap our cars and buy new ones every 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

There was a surprising amount of effort went into that article, chasing up sources and facts and figures. The Indo will beat that out of him yet.

Meanwhile there are 7 year old BMWs driving on Triangle Tyres :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have said for a long time that insurance companies in Ireland and out of control and revisions need to be introduced, Can we put the insurance regulators email up on the site, taking action is an area us Irish seem to be lacking. IMO we should all bombard both the regulator and the minister for transport.

So the cut off point for these companies is a 2000 year car? it might seem mad be a 2000 year car almost seems relatively new to me. I am driving an 18 year old car now and it runs perfectly.

I have said for a long time that insurance companies in Ireland and out of control and revisions need to be introduced, Can we put the insurance regulators email up on the site, taking action is an area us Irish seem to be lacking. IMO we should all bombard both the regulator and the minister for transport.

So the cut off point for these companies is a 2000 year car? it might seem mad be a 2000 year car almost seems relatively new to me. I am driving an 18 year old car now and it runs perfectly.

It almost seems like the motor trade want us all to scrap our old cars.

First was the CO2 tax rate which made tax much cheaper for new cars. The old CC rate is driving old big engined cars to scrap yards.

Now insurance companies are not insuring old cars... I don't see how that should be allowed if the car is perfectly capable of passing an NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thats some load of horsesh*t. I refuse to buy anything newer (apart from not being able to afford something under 5 years old) as nothing does it for me. It screams out market monopoly: they want to control what we drive

So in the eyes of insurers a 2004 Dacia 1300 is going to be more reliable and better maintained than say a 1999 BMW 520i? :rolleyes:

Mandatory 3rd party should be put out to tender internationally every 5 years. Ideally build the price of it into something all car owners pay, so there is no prospect of scumbags being out on the road without 3rd party. It would just be automatic.*

Let our own local swindlers be scrapping it out for optional cover.

*I realise that this is ideal world kinda stuff - it would need to be matched with actual enforcement rather than cameras, and actual deterrents to prevent living breathing lumps of faecal matter being able to drive around and kill people despite 6 active driving bans and 100+ driving convictions.

There's a thread already created for that insurance article:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057466101

In the buying sub forum. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pov06 wrote: »
    There's a thread already created for that insurance article:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057466101
    In the buying sub forum. Sigh.

Move that thread to the main forum, so any more discussion can be taken there...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Has anyone here had, or even seen, a car with a dealer's logo on the back of the car beside the make and model of the car? New car has a logo stuck on underneath the make of the car and I had never come across this before. I didn't want to remove it in case I damaged the paintwork but the dealer has agreed to remove so no problem there. Just wondering if this is a common practice?

timaru89 wrote: »
    Has anyone here had, or even seen, a car with a dealer's logo on the back of the car beside the make and model of the car? New car has a logo stuck on underneath the make of the car and I had never come across this before. I didn't want to remove it in case I damaged the paintwork but the dealer has agreed to remove so no problem there. Just wondering if this is a common practice?

Toyota dealers were/are the main culprits. Don't see it that often but I have seen it alright. Will probably see a load of them now that you've put it in my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Has anyone here had, or even seen, a car with a dealer's logo on the back of the car beside the make and model of the car? [...] Just wondering if this is a common practice?
    Yep, many times. And loads of cars with dealer's stickers on rear window glass as well.

And to be honest, I'd rather afraid of removing them stickers off the rear glass than the one on the paintwork - it's very unlikely to damage paintwork, but very likely to damage them heating wires on a glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

joujoujou wrote: »
    Yep, many times. And loads of cars with dealer's stickers on rear window glass as well.

And to be honest, I'd rather afraid of removing them stickers off the rear glass than the one on the paintwork - it's very unlikely to damage paintwork, but very likely to damage them heating wires on a glass.

Thanks, all the previous cars I've driven have had dealer's stickers on the rear window but had never seen a logo before to be honest. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention until there was one stuck on my car! I thought it was fairly overboard with the advertising considering the rear window sticker and the details on the reg plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Quite common in the past for mainstream UK dealers selling mainstream marquee in areas of lots of competition. Not so common these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Merlin used to have badges on the rears of cars they sold. Easy enough to remove though.

The brothers old car had the Honda dealers badge on the boot. Looked terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Picking up a boost gauge kit for 20 quid later, graaaand, also thinking of taking another project in the form of a suzuki wagon r :pac: kei car all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You mean you're going to buy a pre-2008 non-diesel car? :eek:

GvidoR wrote: »

Yeah but it's more paddy-spec than the most paddy-spec Micra so it's "chaaape tax lad"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I might yeah! Cos I'm wild like that :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Got my Porsche back from the only person would you are supposed to bring a Porsche to. Its like a different car I cant believe how much better it is running. Next week I am getting a full stainless steel exhaust for it. That should be all the big jobs done. Then I can start cleaning her up inside and out.
    Chapelizod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Tape it to the steering wheel! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is 6k a little low for a 08 C220 to be used as a trade in? I would have thought at least 10k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Was stuck on the M50 this evening and hope whoever was in the crash is ok, car didn't look the best but the lorry looked ok. Traffic was delayed all the way to the turn off for Waterford/Carlow, can't believe a crash on the hard shoulder holds up traffic that much

Autosport wrote: »
    Was stuck on the M50 this evening and hope whoever was in the crash is ok, car didn't look the best but the lorry looked ok. Traffic was delayed all the way to the turn off for Waterford/Carlow, can't believe a crash on the hard shoulder holds up traffic that much

Everytime I drive up the M50 when it's busy and moving slow I think thank god I don't travel this everyday I don't know how people do it so a waste of your free time sitting in trafic. I'd hate it hopefully I never end up taking a job in dublin that's easier said than done I suppose. I have a nice 25 minute commute to work on backroads so it's grand it's shift work too so 7am start 7 pm traveling home so roads are generally extra quite. I enjoy the drive everyday I wouldn't like to be too close to work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Tax is up on the act at the end of this month. Haven't got a letter or email about the details to do it online. It's will be my first time taxing this car. I assume I'll have to go over to the tax office with the log book to tax it or is there any other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Tax is up on the act at the end of this month. Haven't got a letter or email about the details to do it online. It's will be my first time taxing this car. I assume I'll have to go over to the tax office with the log book to tax it or is there any other way?

If car is in your name now you can use forgotten pin on motortax site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Tax is up on the act at the end of this month. Haven't got a letter or email about the details to do it online. It's will be my first time taxing this car. I assume I'll have to go over to the tax office with the log book to tax it or is there any z way?

You could request a pin and tax it online.Afaik

Interslice wrote: »
    Tomorrow for the first time in over ten years I'm sending a car to a mechanic for something other than tyres and tracking. Already feels weird just thinking about leaving it there.

:(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

:(:mad:

Everything okay, Mr. Slice?

Everything okay, Mr. Slice?

I don't know what to do man. Feckin big end bearing or something went in the engine coming back from cork.

The long story
    Dropped the car over to get the sump replaced last week. They fitted the new sump, but the new (SH) one was still leaking from the bung. They never checked it or replaced the washer and just left the bung as it came. I pointed out it was dripping and they gave it a nip and I drove home. Next morning oil on the ground. Back over saturday and they and they rethreaded the sump and all was good with the oil leak side of things. Didn't use or leak a drop driving to cork and back today.

I gave them fresh oil to fill the new sump and a filter. When they rethreaded it I think they drained this oil into the catch tray without removing the undertray. Not bothered removing the tray again as you only really need to do it to get at the filter. Under tray isn't in the best shape and covered in grit. Mechanic mentioned he spilt a bit of oil on the engine but cleaned most of it off. This morning I checked the oil level before heading off and noticed the loads of oil on the engine cover and down the sides of the engine. If you stood 10 feet away and threw the oil at it you make less of a mess. The oil on the engine cover was mixed with grit and sand, I think from the undertray... Drove down to cork this morning no problems. This evening leaving I noticed it was vibrating stopped at the lights. Put it down to the engine being cold. Same again at the lights in durrow. Filthy rattle out of it showed up just about a mile from home tonight. Sounds like a bag of spanners in the driveway now. Not sure if it was grit poured into the engine that done it or just coincidence. The grit may even have been from a dirty rag used to wipe the oil off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know what to do man. Feckin big end bearing or something went in the engine coming back from cork.

The long story
    Dropped the car over to get the sump replaced last week. They fitted the new sump, but the new (SH) was one was still leaking from the bung. They never checked it or replaced the washer and just left the bung as it came. I pointed out it was dripping and they gave it a nip and I drove home. Next morning oil on the ground. Back over saturday and they and they rethreaded the sump and all was good with the oil leak side of things. Didn't use or leak a drop driving to cork and back today.

I gave them fresh oil to fill the new sump and a filter. When they rethreaded it I think they drained this oil into the catch tray without removing the undertray. Not bothered removing the tray again as you only really need to do it to get at the filter. Under tray isn't in the best shape and covered in grit. Mechanic mentioned he spilt a bit of oil on the engine but cleaned most of it off. This morning I checked the oil level before heading off and noticed the loads of oil on the engine cover and down the sides of the engine. If you stood 10 feet away and threw the oil at it you make less of a mess. The oil on the engine cover was mixed with grit and sand, I think from the undertray... Drove down to cork this morning no problems. This evening leaving I noticed it was vibrating stopped at the lights. Put it down to being the engine being cold. Same again at the light in durrow. Filthy rattle out of it showed up just about a mile from home tonight. Sound like a bag of spanners in the driveway now. Not sure if it was grit poured into the engine that done it or just coincidence. The grit may even have been from a dirty rag used to wipe the oil off.

Not good. I don't really follow will have to read it again but is the garage at fault or you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement