Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is 6k a little low for a 08 C220 to be used as a trade in? I would have thought at least 10k!

Unless it's a base manual with stupid mileage then yes. Nice cars those W204s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is 6k a little low for a 08 C220 to be used as a trade in? I would have thought at least 10k!

Is 08 the newer model - ie 3rd gen.

Tempting at 6 k if so* - especially if its an auto with a nice spec.

Problem is - is 8/9 k their expected sale/retail price.

Might only look to shunt it back to the trade depending on their age policy really.

Incidentally - the key figure is price to change - ie the price it will cost the Mercs owner to go from the 08 C220 CDI to the replacement car. Shop around get a feel for the market. Problem is - its too easy to tweak figures around - so you've got a low price on the trade in - but the new car price looks tempting - or vice versa

*I could do without the temptation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Not good. I don't really follow will have to read it again but is the garage at fault or you?

Sorry man probably not explaining it very well 6 hour of driving and 6 hours of exams today! Basically they drained the oil to rethread the sump and I think when they poured the oil back in, dirt and grit went with it. I don't know who's fault it is or if a bit of sand, if it did get in, could kill an engine in 300 miles. Might find out if I open it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Interslice wrote: »
    Sorry man probably not explaining it very well 6 hour of driving and 6 hours of exams today! Basically they drained the oil to rethread the sump and I think when they poured the oil back in, dirt and grit went with it. I don't know who's fault it is or if a bit of sand, if it did get in, could kill an engine in 300 miles. Might find out if I open it up.

Not good. Was it you who had trouble with that other alfa(dgt's), if so you are not having a good time with these cars. They do say old alfa cars give trouble. When they are new they are grand get a few years into them and it all goes pear shaped. But I suppose that can go along with any car. Sure toyotas are suppose to be most reliable but Toyotafanboy had to change the engine in his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What are you driving Inter?

• Advertisement

Not good. Was it you who had trouble with that other alfa(dgt's), if so you are not having a good time with these cars. They do say old alfa cars give trouble. When they are new they are grand get a few years into them and it all goes pear shaped. But I suppose that can go along with any car. Sure toyotas are suppose to be most reliable but Toyotafanboy had to change the engine in his.

No that was another lad. This is my first alfa. If I had done the job myself I could just blame bad luck, alfa or previous owners not minding it. This is just complicated now. One of my best mates works for this mechanic. I got him to change the sump as he's not shoddy. The boss I've seen do some odd things and he's the one that rethreaded the sump and refilled it.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    What are you driving Inter?

It's a 156 1.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No that was another lad. This is my first alfa. If I had done the job myself I could just blame bad luck, alfa or previous owners not minding it. This is just complicated now. One of my best mates works for this mechanic. I got him to change the sump as he's not shoddy. The boss I've seen do some odd things and he's the one that rethreaded the sump and refilled it.

It's a 156 1.8

Oh yea mixed you both up that's the guy from Wicklow. Your the guy who both that Rs Mivec for a track car. I remember your car now alright you just got that Alfa and done a bit of work on it. Must be just a bad coincidence but then again you never know. Garage will never admit fault but then spilling oil all over the engine is unacceptable as well but there is nothing you can say to the garage about it though.

It's a 156 1.8
    SHYTE. Didn't the big end bearing go on 166mans?

Oh yea mixed you both up that's the guy from Wicklow. Your the guy who both that Rs Mivec for a track car. I remember your car now alright you just got that Alfa and done a bit of work on it. Must be just a bad coincidence but then again you never know. Garage will never admit fault but then spilling oil all over the engine is unacceptable as well but there is nothing you can say to the garage about it though.

Probably right, just have to find a new engine for it. Pain in the balls though. Just fitted a new timing belt and rocker cover gasket last month.

SHYTE. Didn't the big end bearing go on 166mans?

Not sure man, I think they might have done alright.

• Advertisement

Just before I left cork today. Checked the oil, seen it hadn't touched a drop and thought this engine is grand :pac:
    4jktu.jpg

Those estates still look great :cool:

Those estates still look great :cool:

Theyre nice to drive too. Needs a bit of tidying and I just had the money together to go and get a few bits for it. Might go and get this tomorrow if it will sell for 5/600 and the engine and box are good. Just lift engine box drive shafts and the lot out and plonk it in. Same colour as mine and I need a drivers door.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-1-8-46k-miles-nct-02-16/9883290?offset=25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sorry to hear the alfa/mechanic woes lad. Went through a patch of that myself recently. So important to have a local mechanic you can trust.

Have a weekend of diy now to try and fix something no one else can reproduce or diagnose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Theyre nice to drive too. Needs a bit of tidying and I just had the money together to go and get a few bits for it. Might go and get this tomorrow if it will sell for 5/600 and the engine and box are good. Just lift engine box drive shafts and the lot out and plonk it in. Same colour as mine and I need a drivers door.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-1-8-46k-miles-nct-02-16/9883290?offset=25

I'm not too familiar with your own car other than a few pics I've seen so just wondering what would be the thinking behind taking the engine and box out of that one, instead of buying and driving that one? I was doing some car searching for a friend and came across that Alfa too btw. Tidy looking car for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Nice looking estate interslice hopefully you will get it sorted out and that it will be something small. Something abit more unusual to most estates of that era.

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'm not too familiar with your own car other than a few pics I've seen so just wondering what would be the thinking behind taking the engine and box out of that one, instead of buying and driving that one? I was doing some car searching for a friend and came across that Alfa too btw. Tidy looking car for that money.

Just because mine is an estate. The extra space in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Just because mine is an estate. The extra space in handy.

Ah, well there you go :) I must only have seen your car from the front so!

Ye lads might know. Do recycling centers take old PC's? I have to bring stuff up there anyway but I'm in the hunt for a PSU from a PC for.....something. I am willing to pay zero euros :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ye lads might know. Do recycling centers take old PC's? I have to bring stuff up there anyway but I'm in the hunt for a PSU from a PC for.....something. I am willing to pay zero euros :pac:

The one here has a WEEE department that costs nowt and takes all manner of electrical equipment, including PCs and monitors, so I should say yes.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    The one here has a WEEE department that costs nowt and takes all manner of electrical equipment, including PCs and monitors, so I should say yes.

Cheers. Surely the one in Newcastle west has a WEEE dept too. I'll keep an eye out.

Mungret has a weee section. Free entry if you only have weeee afaik. Now, ncw might be different but it's open air, not under cover in Mungret so although there will be PCs there the stuff gets wet.

Mungret has a weee section. Free entry if you only have weeee afaik. Now, ncw might be different but it's open air, not under cover in Mungret so although there will be PCs there the stuff gets wet.

NCW has a load of sheds too. I was only in there once and can't remember any WEEE section. Possibly in one of those sheds.

Macroom used to have a "NO SCAVAGING" (sic) sign.
    What in the sh1te does this have to do with motors! :-)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yeah they do, make sure to pull out any HDD in any PC you are throwing away btw. Trust me... On the plus the cool stuff people throw out that you can find at the recycling centre.

I'm not getting rid of a PC so no worries there. Getting rid of other junk. Just need a PSU out of one so was gonna swipe one if it was lying about. I actually did a job on a guys house a few years back. Noticed he had a SNES hooked up in his sitting room. Told me he found it in a recycling place with a bunch of games a few weeks before. Perfect working order! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

power supply for the car computer? :D. its about time someone made a proper opensource car management / entertainment OS.
    all the recent stuff of the jeeps in america having the whole can bus open to the internet would make you think twice about buying a new car with any of that stuff preinstalled.

around 2 minutes in its interesting

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

First short spin after the terraclean, deadly. Floored it in third, the wheels were spinning. I wanna go for a long spin, like Donegal or Dingle, but I can't. On babysitting duty all weekend. And They'd just wreck the buzz.

beertons wrote: »
    First short spin after the terraclean, deadly. Floored it in third, the wheels were spinning. I wanna go for a long spin, like Donegal or Dingle, but I can't. On babysitting duty all weekend. And They'd just wreck the buzz.

Often wondered does that actually work. I suppose it would make sense that a clean engine internally would run better but then surly a well serviced engine that get plenty of long drives shouldn't be that bad internally with carbon deposits and the likes. You probably wouldn't see that much benefit in doing it until the car is at least 5 years old I suppose. It's great that you see an improvement anyway.

I've been offered a 2000 reg Laguna 1.8 16V with a snapped timing belt.

Is this a chance to learn for a novice or will I end up setting fire to it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I've been offered a 2000 reg Laguna 1.8 16V with a snapped timing belt.

Is this a chance to learn for a novice or will I end up setting fire to it?

Probably both!

I say go for it! Get a manual and away you go :)

Probably both!

I say go for it! Get a manual and away you go :)

I am tempted tbh.

It makes literally no sense however :pac:

I am tempted tbh.

It makes literally no sense however :pac:

Well look at it this way, you take the car you get a learning experience taking it apart, and if you get that far that's half the battle, then try go all the way, if you succeed, profit if you make a balls of it scrap the car, profit

either way, profit! :pac:

I'm just wondering what damage the t/belt snapping could have caused?

I'm assuming it would need a new head to start with, don't know how difficult it would be to replace valves however.

I'm just wondering what damage the t/belt snapping could have caused?

I'm assuming it would need a new head to start with, don't know how difficult it would be to replace valves however.

good question, i forgot to ask are you getting this for free?

If you get a valve spring compressor you're ok, i done valves on an 8v punto once, took me an ages partly cos it was my first time, but it's out there running grand now!

good question, i forgot to ask are you getting this for free?
    €100
    If you get a valve spring compressor you're ok

Complete novice including equipment :o

• Advertisement

€100

Complete novice including equipment :o

try get it for 50

and if you get stuck sure everyone here can help, or youtube it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

€100

Give you 25 for the engine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Worst case, convert it to electric! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'd be asking €100 to take it out of their way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Take it, take it, take it. :P

• Advertisement

Does anyone find this ?

Coming back from a friends there big wide road 100kmh limit driving along come to a taxi in front doing 70 kmh. Then 60kmh zone their doing 50 kmh hour then 50kmh zones their doing under 40 kmh. You see what I'm getting at and almost all taxis I come across are at it. Is this just to drive up the fare or what. I don't know whether anyone else has experienced it but almost every taxi in Kilkenny seems to be at it.

The fare doesn't go up when they're flying.

The fare doesn't go up when they're flying.

Ye but the longer it takes to get there surly means higher fare as it's not distance based is it as that wouldn't work in traffic.

Doesn't it work off both, after 6/8pm? The clock always moves up when stuck at traffic lights.

Any of ye in to a bit of decent unz unz unz? :pac: Carl Cox live from tomorrowland http://live.tomorrowland.com/int/en

Doesn't it work off both, after 6/8pm? The clock always moves up when stuck at traffic lights.

Maybe it does I'm not to sure I just would have assumed the longer the trip took the more expensive it would. I'm not in taxis too often tbh. Either way it's a bit annoying they just seem to crawl around I suppose that saves fuel too.

Any of ye in to a bit of decent unz unz unz? :pac: Carl Cox live from tomorrowland http://live.tomorrowland.com/int/en

I am told I met him at a concert in Scotland before. All I know if between 8pm and 2pm I have no memories :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I am told I met him at a concert in Scotland before. All I know if between 8pm and 2pm I have no memories :o

Sounds like acute mammary loss.

Sounds like acute mammary loss.
    :D;)

Legend has it that he came back to a house my brother and his mates were renting in the early to mid 90's in Limerick after a gig here somewhere. One of the housemates had a set of decks and he played a set for them. I was told there was photo evidence which I've been asking for since the year 2000. I won't believe them until these photos are produced :pac: Been asking them for 15 years now! Lovely guy by all accounts :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement