Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

CIP4 wrote: »
    Does anyone find this ?

Coming back from a friends there big wide road 100kmh limit driving along come to a taxi in front doing 70 kmh. Then 60kmh zone their doing 50 kmh hour then 50kmh zones their doing under 40 kmh. You see what I'm getting at and almost all taxis I come across are at it. Is this just to drive up the fare or what. I don't know whether anyone else has experienced it but almost every taxi in Kilkenny seems to be at it.

Welcome back chief. ;):D

Experienced that before alright but in Dublin they normally drive like lunatics to get as many fares in as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

166man wrote: »
    Welcome back chief. ;):D

Experienced that before alright but in Dublin they normally drive like lunatics to get as many fares in as possible.

Funny, if you tell them you're not feeling well they don't do it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'm not one for generalisation, but the taxi drivers are mental around here. They do be jamming on in the middle of the road and swinging the car around like mental cases for fares, its mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I don't even see any taxi's around here. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    I don't even see any taxi's around here.

Sure if one doesn't have a car out in the sticks they have no hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Unless it's a base manual with stupid mileage then yes. Nice cars those W204s.

Silver, half leather interior, has an AMG style pack on it so I assume its the sport model. Auto too.

IMG_20150217_160438_zpsjiavfyht.jpg
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Is 08 the newer model - ie 3rd gen.

Tempting at 6 k if so* - especially if its an auto with a nice spec.

Problem is - is 8/9 k their expected sale/retail price.

Might only look to shunt it back to the trade depending on their age policy really.

Incidentally - the key figure is price to change - ie the price it will cost the Mercs owner to go from the 08 C220 CDI to the replacement car. Shop around get a feel for the market. Problem is - its too easy to tweak figures around - so you've got a low price on the trade in - but the new car price looks tempting - or vice versa

*I could do without the temptation :(

Yep newer model see above picture, and Automatic. Would consider selling privately but looking to do cash deal if possible on the new motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BMW used to have baur convertibles a longtime ago, but did you know Mercedes also had a baur type convertible in their flagship W126....? :eek:

Here's one I made earlier
    19809867248_c6105e7998_h.jpg

19376963683_ddeed26292_h.jpg

19375345344_96870ffb8b_h.jpg

All courtesy of our dear friend, husqvarna :)

That wasn't created in vain either...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You must be having more free time lately dgt. Also you can't beat a Ifor williams trailer.

• Advertisement

Well... my signature became a little shorter. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You must be having more free time lately dgt. Also you can't beat a Ifor williams trailer.

Oooh you noticed! :D yep I have a bit more time as of lately and I'm doing all I can to use it constructively :) hand on heart, there was a Genuine reason for making a baur W126 :p but that's for another day!

That trailer is the business :) I need to get a towbar for the Sei someday and tow that trailer behind it for the shneer :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    Oooh you noticed! :D yep I have a bit more time as of lately and I'm doing all I can to use it constructively :) hand on heart, there was a Genuine reason for making a baur W126 :p but that's for another day!

D

I'll not spoil your news as to the roof :D

Many thanks for your time today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

GvidoR wrote: »
    Well... my signature became a little shorter. :P

did you sell the astra?:confused:

davycc wrote: »
    did you sell the astra?:confused:

Yes, finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Yes, finally.

congrats- hope she went to a good home:)

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    congrats- hope she went to a good home:)

I don't know where it's going, but to be honest I don't really care because that car was nothing but a pain for the entire time I had it. I let it go quite cheap but it's 14 years old at this stage (some companies wont even insure it), NCT out for a little over a year, rusty underneath with a broken rear spring and a seized caliper, sooo... I'm just happy it's gone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does anyone know where I could get extender pedal for my accelerator in my car in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Stheno wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get extender pedal for my accelerator in my car in Ireland?

I remember going to look at a car a few years ago and the accelerator pedal had a plank of wood cable-tied onto it :pac:

Pov06 wrote: »
    I remember going to look at a car a few years ago and the accelerator pedal had a plank of wood cable-tied onto it :pac:

Helpful

The seat doesn't move forward enough?

• Advertisement

The seat doesn't move forward enough?

Foot too small to hit stable point on accelerator without it being off the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Foot too small to hit stable point on accelerator without it being off the ground

Is your accelerator not floor mounted (like a vw) I thought you said before. Or is it just a traditional accelerator and your foot is not long enough to hit a good point on.

I kind of have the opposite problem myself my feet are size 12 so I can't wear work boots in the car well I can but it makes it extremely difficult to drive. It means I end up wearing shoes driving then change into safety boots for work and back again after work.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Is your accelerator not floor mounted (like a vw) I thought you said before. Or is it just a traditional accelerator and your foot is not long enough to hit a good point on.

I kind of have the opposite problem myself my feet are size 12 so I can't wear work boots in the car well I can but it makes it extremely difficult to drive. It means I end up wearing shoes driving then change into safety boots for work and back again after work.

It is floor mounted, but it's slightly too long, so unlike the OHs merc which is also floor mounted but shorter, and I have no problem driving, my foot is too small to hit what a good constant point on, unless I literally have my foot on the accelerator about an inch off the floor which is extremely uncomfortable.

Mechanic suggested looking into an extender. I wear flat shoes to drive, as heels make it a complete nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

It is floor mounted, but it's slightly too long, so unlike the OHs merc which is also floor mounted but shorter, and I have no problem driving, my foot is too small to hit what a good constant point on, unless I literally have my foot on the accelerator about an inch off the floor which is extremely uncomfortable.

Mechanic suggested looking into an extender. I wear flat shoes to drive, as heels make it a complete nightmare.

I get what you mean now alright. I can imagine trying to almost Hover your foot of the floor all the time would not be too comfortable. I don't have a clue where you would get an extender unfortunately but I'd imagine your mechanic is right it should sort your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Opposite problem here too, 11 or 12 feet depending on shoe, despite being short at 5 8, makes it difficult to heel toe aswell! I've never seen a pedal extender? Would it just bring the pedal closer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Spotted Chis H chaser on the motorway earlier on my way back from Louth. Long bloody drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My e39 520i 2 litre acceleration video, filmed last night. Not too bad for a 1998 1,500 kg car. Doesn't seem to have lost any horses over the years.

th_520i8.mp4

Bought this for the swagon because yolo.

20004371776_94f66376c8_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Took my 900 out for a spin today passed tossy and he never even noticed me :( I have a sad from that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Went looking at a few cars over the weekend and had my heart set on one in particular and I was so disappointed with it, the drive felt wrong, dash was awful, driver seat was uncomfortable and for the price felt it wasn't worth half of the asking price, now back to the drawing board.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    Went looking at a few cars over the weekend and had my heart set on one in particular and I was so disappointed with it, the drive felt wrong, dash was awful, driver seat was uncomfortable and for the price felt it wasn't worth half of the asking price, now back to the drawing board.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Yep, with my first car, what was it you were after anyways?

Yep, with my first car, what was it you were after anyways?

Don't want to say as a fellow boardsie has one, it was because of theirs that I looked/ test drove it. So disappointed though

Don't want to say as a fellow boardsie has one, it was because of theirs that I looked/ test drove it. So disappointed though

Oh dear :o it was a saab wasnt it? :pac:

I just hope it wasn't a VW. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Different strokes and all that. One man's trash is another man's treasure. ;)

Oh dear :o it was a saab wasnt it? :pac:

Noooo it wasn't, no saabs around :(

I just hope it wasn't a VW. :pac:

It was a German though but no vw

It was a German though but no vw

That narrows it down to half the forum owning one so :pac:

Lad I know got a pretest at a doe centre for his vw van. I shall now document their "findings"

Wishbone bushing o/s n/s
    Ball joint lh, no bolt in it!!! UNSAFE
    Fanbelt
    Power steering pipe rubbing off alternator
    Intercooler loose
    Front left tyre bald
    Tracking off
    Different alloys - have to be all the one size
    Power steering pipe loose
    Exhaust mounting loosr
    Exhaust blowing out up front
    Engine oil leak
    Brake lights rear
    No parking lights front or rear
    No reverse lights
    No windscreen washers
    Rear dust covers
    Airbag light on
    Brake wear light on
    No reg plate lights
    Rear wheel restricted on rear lhs
    Abs light on
    Drop links
    Ni headlight front lhs
    No indicator front rhs

What annoys me most is the tester spelt brake as break :mad:

But ya, as you can see this badger has his yoke in tip top condition.........

He still reckons it's far better than my focus, despite him spending at least 1500 this past 6 months (2002 reg). I admit I have replaced a good few bits, but all of them are to do with awful roads, droplinks trackrod ends etc. But of course, this person is a vw for life person, and everything else is a bag.

Oh yes and 4 of these were plastered to the window :pac:

• Advertisement

Lad I know got a pretest at a doe centre for his vw van. I shall now document their "findings"

Wishbone bushing o/s n/s
    Ball joint lh, no bolt in it!!! UNSAFE
    Fanbelt
    Power steering pipe rubbing off alternator
    Intercooler loose
    Front left tyre bald
    Tracking off
    Different alloys - have to be all the one size
    Power steering pipe loose
    Exhaust mounting loosr
    Exhaust blowing out up front
    Engine oil leak
    Brake lights rear
    No parking lights front or rear
    No reverse lights
    No windscreen washers
    Rear dust covers
    Airbag light on
    Brake wear light on
    No reg plate lights
    Rear wheel restricted on rear lhs
    Abs light on
    Drop links
    Ni headlight front lhs
    No indicator front rhs

What annoys me most is the tester spelt brake as break :mad:

But ya, as you can see this badger has his yoke in tip top condition.........

He still reckons it's far better than my focus, despite him spending at least 1500 this past 6 months (2002 reg). I admit I have replaced a good few bits, but all of them are to do with awful roads, droplinks trackrod ends etc. But of course, this person is a vw for life person, and everything else is a bag.

Oh yes and 4 of these were plastered to the window :pac:

HOw is he still driving that every day?

HOw is he still driving that every day?

Don't think it's in use most days, but still!

My attachment didn't work, here it is again, 4 of these on the window

That narrows it down to half the forum owning one so :pac:

;) I own one myself but shur I'll just have to go look at more tomorrow maybe a Saab ;)

;) I own one myself but shur I'll just have to go look at more tomorrow maybe a Saab ;)

Haha you'd be better off looking at opels :P

Haha you'd be better off looking at opels :P

Mine is an Opel :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Just after trying out a new rain-repellant yoke on the windows on the Corolla - I must be the only person in Ireland looking for rain tonight :p

Also, the lights on the car are shocking so I ordered a set of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, should have them before Wednesday!

This car is coming together slowly, but it'll be there soon! Very happy with the way its driving so far :)

• Advertisement

Just after trying out a new rain-repellant yoke on the windows on the Corolla - I must be the only person in Ireland looking for rain tonight :p

Also, the lights on the car are shocking so I ordered a set of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, should have them before Wednesday!

This car is coming together slowly, but it'll be there soon! Very happy with the way its driving so far :)

I was just watching a video of RainX in action and wow! The difference is huge. The guy in the video on applied it to half of the windshield and the rain was coming right off.

Will be buying some of that stuff! :pac:

Pov06 wrote: »
    I was just watching a video of RainX in action and wow! The difference is huge. The guy in the video on applied it to half of the windshield and the rain was coming right off.

Will be buying some of that stuff! :pac:

Thats the one I got, along with the Anti-Fog!

Picked it up in Halfords in Naas and the fella in front of me in the queue was getting it, along with the person behind me so it must be good :p

Picked it up in Halfords in Naas and the fella in front of me in the queue was getting it, along with the person behind me so it must be good :p

Just remembered I've a voucher for money off in Halfords, gonna pick some of this stuff up :)

What does the anti fog do?

Did you get some cheap oil too? They have that €15 for 4 litres of engine oil promo now. I got myself 2 bottles, it will be enough for the next 2 services with a bit left over to top up.

I should have picked it up too but didn't think about it :D

Just remembered I've a voucher for money off in Halfords, gonna pick some of this stuff up :)

What does the anti fog do?

Apparently its to stop the windows inside fogging up. I find it an issue in the Corolla so im hoping it will work :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement