Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Don't think it's in use most days, but still!

My attachment didn't work, here it is again, 4 of these on the window

That list is somewhat similar to the list I got from my mechanic when doing my focus fcuk me I actually ended up having to do so much to that yoke. Never again I actually like the look of the mk3 focus but I could never bring myself to own another. No offence to your focus and mondeo or anything as you have both them spotless and very well minded.
    Just after trying out a new rain-repellant yoke on the windows on the Corolla - I must be the only person in Ireland looking for rain tonight :p

Also, the lights on the car are shocking so I ordered a set of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, should have them before Wednesday!

This car is coming together slowly, but it'll be there soon! Very happy with the way its driving so far :)

You won't regret them nightbreaker they are actually unbelievable. I was driving home late on Friday night from a house birthday and driving down dark backroads you get to appreciate how good they are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pov06 wrote: »
    Did you get some cheap oil too? They have that €15 for 4 litres of engine oil promo now. I got myself 2 bottles, it will be enough for the next 2 services with a bit left over to top up.

I should have picked it up too but didn't think about it :D

Jaypers the V6 alfa I had took over 6 litres of oil per change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Did you get some cheap oil too? They have that €15 for 4 litres of engine oil promo now. I got myself 2 bottles, it will be enough for the next 2 services with a bit left over to top up.

I should have picked it up too but didn't think about it :D

Didnt even get a chance to look at any of that! I only went in to get the Rain-X and I ended up buying the anti-fog and a headlight restoration kit :pac: Ive to head back to Halfords in Kilkenny on friday so I'll have a better look around the place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Stheno wrote: »
    Jaypers the V6 alfa I had took over 6 litres of oil per change!

It helps driving a 1.0 Yaris! 3.2 litres, cheap maintenance. It's been unbelievably reliable so far and I give it heaps of abuse.

Does anyone know how much genuine Toyota filters (air, oil and pollen) would set me back from a dealership for a 1999 Yaris 1.0? Or better yet is there any way to find out prices of parts from Toyota?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didnt even get a chance to look at any of that! I only went in to get the Rain-X and I ended up buying the anti-fog and a headlight restoration kit :pac: Ive to head back to Halfords in Kilkenny on friday so I'll have a better look around the place :)

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind letting me know how you get on with both the antifog/headlight restoration kit via pm?
    It helps driving a 1.0 Yaris! 3.2 litres, cheap maintenance. It's been unbelievably reliable so far and I give it heaps of abuse.

Does anyone know how much genuine Toyota filters (air, oil and pollen) would set me back from a dealership for a 1999 Yaris 1.0? Or better yet is there any way to find out prices of parts from Toyota?

Did you try micksgarage?

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind letting me know how you get on with both the antifog/headlight restoration kit via pm?

Did you try micksgarage?

Yeah but Micksgarage don't do genuine Toyota filters. I've been using Blueprint filters for a few services now, wouldn't mind trying Toyota ones if they're not much more expensive.

Have a read of this if you're interested in headlight restoration:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95626812

Yeah but Micksgarage don't do genuine Toyota filters. I've been using Blueprint filters for a few services now, wouldn't mind trying Toyota ones if they're not much more expensive.

Have a read of this if you're interested in headlight restoration:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95626812

Just ring a Toyota garage tomorrow :)

That post is good, might give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Got offered 1500 for the 900 off a little traveller lad no older than 9 :pac: told him where it was from and the response was "sweden? jaysis lads i thought they only made furniture"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Autosport wrote: »
    Don't want to say as a fellow boardsie has one, it was because of theirs that I looked/ test drove it. So disappointed though

Edited

It does vary hugely from manufacturer to manufacturer vw being at the lower end of the scale where most of their genuine parts are very reasonable then you have ford which have very high parts prices. Unfortunately for me seems Renault are like that too. Toyota would be somewhere in the middle. But because blueprint filters would be very reasonably price your probably looking at 30% more at a very rough guess. Tbh on a standard older petrol blueprint filter will be perfectly good.

It's when you start getting to modern diesels which are very fussy and in some cases genuine fuel filters filter to a lower micron level than spurious that's when the difference comes in. Now I only every bought genuine parts for every car up to this Megane and 2 months ago when I changed the air filter and used a Mann filter which was identical to the Renault as Mann make the air filters for Renault so both filter had a Mann stamp just one was missing the Renault stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

CIP4 wrote:
    That list is somewhat similar to the list I got from my mechanic when doing my focus fcuk me I actually ended up having to do so much to that yoke. Never again I actually like the look of the mk3 focus but I could never bring myself to own another. No offence to your focus and mondeo or anything as you have both them spotless and very well minded.

Ah cheers!

Ya, I really like the mk3 focus too, was doing the maths on a 2.0 163bhp titanium x not long back, but it falls out of my financial "zone" if want of a better word!

Ah cheers!

Ya, I really like the mk3 focus too, was doing the maths on a 2.0 163bhp titanium x not long back, but it falls out of my financial "zone" if want of a better word!

Would you not consider getting rid of the mondeo and focus and then buy one of them or similar or do you have an actual need for the two cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ah cheers!

Those ford 2 litre diesels are quite poor on fuel tbh.

Did 400 miles in one almost all mostorway/a road speeds 70-75 with CC on and averaged 39mpg

Did 400 miles in one almost all mostorway/a road speeds 70-75 with CC on and averaged 39mpg

I'd of said that but then a 1.8 tdci would do much more than 40mpg would it and the 2.0 would be a nicer smoother engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

.Does anyone know how much genuine Toyota filters (air, oil and pollen) would set me back from a dealership for a 1999 Yaris 1.0? Or better yet is there any way to find out prices of parts from Toyota?

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

You'll need your vin number. The prices are very accurate.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I'd of said that but then a 1.8 tdci would do much more than 40mpg would it and the 2.0 would be a nicer smoother engine.

1.8 is a noisy horrible thing pulled from a sierra and revised.

Fine for a van, not suited to a modern car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Sure thing. It'll probably be late in the week before I get a chance to apply the headlight restoration kit but I'll make sure to remember to PM you anyhow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Thought I lost an engine today....

Heard a clunk from under the bonnet going down the Ongar road. Car immediately started misfiring, running on the one rotor, with the exhaust smoking. Thought the worst - it'd eaten a seal for sure. (They've been dropping like flies on the owner's forum recently.). Limped it home on the one rotor and had a look, only to find a the rear leading coil ignition lead hanging in empty space, with obvious signs of something hitting it and knocking it loose.

Replaced the lead.

Fired up without a hitch.

****ing mad bastard of a car.

Anyone up for a meet over the next two weekends ?

Summer is almost over etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Anyone up for a meet over the next two weekends ?

Summer is almost over etc

Summer begins when school starts again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

NCT booked in naas just there for this thursday....love the fact so few know about the 11 pm trick.

Now to reset my airbag light :(

NCT booked in naas just there for this thursday....love the fact so few know about the 11 pm trick.

Nct guys in naas are sound too

Now to reset my airbag light :(

Now you've told everyone on a public forum :p

dgt wrote: »
    Now you've told everyone on a public forum :p

Everyone on here already new the trick...and I won't have to worry about another test until this time next year anyway

Everyone on here already new the trick...and I won't have to worry about another test until this time next year anyway

Have you booked the retest yet ?

:p

• Advertisement

Mines up in march, seems a good distance away! Hoping the gtv shoots through :D

Have you booked the retest yet ?

:p

Might sound weird, but bar the hassle i don't mind a car failing :o
    its the cheapest look over of a car out there and the most in depth

dgt wrote: »
    Mines up in march, seems a good distance away! Hoping the gtv shoots through :D

Any idea where the port for the airbag module is? Ive to go playing around with a wire and pin 1 and 3:pac:

Any idea where the port for the airbag module is? Ive to go playing around with a wire and pin 1 and 3:pac:

Haven't a baldy :o would it be an old style 3 pin plug?

My arse is soaked thanks to that c*nt of a sunroof leaking :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Has anyone here set off an old airbag for the craic?

• Advertisement

Yes

CIP4 wrote:
    Would you not consider getting rid of the mondeo and focus and then buy one of them or similar or do you have an actual need for the two cars.

No I'd stick with 2. There's always someone in need of the other one, family, etc.

That's life I suppose... ;)

Are ya serious? The reviews all say around 50 to the gallon combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Foot too small to hit stable point on accelerator without it being off the ground

Wear a pair of wedges the wrong way around?

nd wrote: »
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

You'll need your vin number. The prices are very accurate.

Cheers! Air and oil filter came out at around €17 (ex. VAT I presume). Similar enough to what I'd pay on Micksgarage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's been a few years, but Toyota genuine parts used to be fairly cheap, filters etc were almost the same price as spurious.

Does anyone know how much an independent motor assessor would charge? I cannot decide if it's worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

It cost me about €150 to get an assessment from Assess Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Insurance renewal arrived in the post today, €1200 fully comp with Liberty, was €750 last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

RobTheLad wrote: »
    Insurance renewal arrived in the post today, €1200 fully comp with Liberty, was €750 last year

How old is the car? There's a whole thread dedicated to this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

GvidoR wrote: »

Only 1 year old (141) , I'm 24 with 2 years no claims , 4 years full licence holder on a 1.4 Astra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

RobTheLad wrote: »
    Only 1 year old (141) , I'm 24 with 2 years no claims , 4 years full licence holder on a 1.4 Astra

Wow, and I thought me getting a renewal quote of €1112.60 (up from €950) on a 14 year old Punto at 20, also with 2 years NCB was bad. :eek:

<snip>
    WTF is the beef here?

CIP4 - aha, clean in place?

Yep I'm surprised you guessed it. I couldn't think of any decent usernames to use.

Anyway that's about it I'm back to talk about cars. Try and help out on some of the car DIY maintenance threads and get answers to some of my own motoring questions that's it. Sure I suppose if people have issues with me being back report it to a moderator.

Im glad you are back for one.

Shouldn't have left in the first place

Anyway that's about it I'm back to talk about cars. Try and help out on some of the car DIY maintenance threads and get answers to some of my own motoring questions that's it. Sure I suppose if people have issues with me being back report it to a moderator.

Welcome back dude

Im glad you are back for one.

Shouldn't have left in the first place

Ah tbh that thread was only part of the reason had been planning to leave months beforehand. I was just a bit too caught up in the whole thing. But having been away for a few months it really is a great resource to have and I missed hearing from all you regulars about your cars too :)

CIP4 wrote:

Welcome back lad, missed your posts.

Damn straight you shouldn't have gone! Hope all is well on the megane front.

Welcome back lad, missed your posts.

Damn straight you shouldn't have gone! Hope all is well on the megane front.

Ah Ye not to bad. It needs a few bits sure you know it being a Renault and all; 3 key cards old ones broke, 4 injector and a fuel pump because they gave bother in the 2003 ones and 16 window regulator I just change them weekly :pac:

Ah no I haven't spent anything on it since getting it have 7k km on it. It went back to the garage to get a new front passenger wheel bearing I think I was saying that here before. What was suppose to be a straight job turned into a pig of a job. First they couldn't get the abs sensor of the the bearing itself was a bastard to get changed then there was some issue reassembling it took 4 hours and that was there head mechanic doing it who I know well and he is seriously good but it was just hardship. Anyway it's sooooo quite now everyone that gets in comments on how quite it is. Hopefully now I won't have too many issue for the next while anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Welcome back BP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yep I'm surprised you guessed it. I couldn't think of any decent usernames to use.

Validated enough CIP and SIP back in the day. Shudder.
    I had no idea it was you actually. But if it was then CIP made sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice to see you back mate.

Its been hard being the only Renault owner on here for the last while :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement