Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Seatbelt warning before you've even started the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

A disabled guy on our street always parks up his car on double yellow lines whenever he has shopping bags because there's quite a trek from his apartment down to the car park.

Well the NCPS scum decided to clamp him today... They didn't even have the decency to think about the disabled sign on this windshield. He was parked right next to a ramp on the footpath so it's handy for wheelchair access.

I know rules are rules but discretion should be used...

pGHuNu6.jpg?1
    hDQxYCP.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

He that screen tells you how many rear seat belts are fastened. It goes off after a few seconds. But if someone fastens or unfastens their seat belt when driving it will pop up again and tell you it's actually a great family feature you know sure it's such a family car and all :pac: ideal for drunks well that and have a button in the front to turn on and off the rear safety looks on the doors electronically that's good for you them that drunks that want to get out everytime you stop the car.

Christ all these features it's actually such a family car I may get kids :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CIP4 wrote: »

My point is the in an average car you know your oil pressure gauge and battery light are working by the fact they stay on with the ignition on engine off so if you went out to your car one day and the low oil pressure light didn't stay on with engine off you'd know the sensor if most likely fcuked with the Megane you'd be none the wiser.

Tbh it's so rare I'd have the ignition on and the engine not running that I'd to go out and check mine. It's usually that I've switched the engine off and need to put on the ignition to close a window that I'd do it :) Years of alfa ownership have me engrained into physically checking the oil extremely regularly so the absence of the lights wouldn't bother me.
    My car does this, just having the ignition on, and it beeps incessantly.

Then about every minute it beeps until you put on the belt.
    Pov06 wrote: »
    A disabled guy on our street always parks up his car on double yellow lines whenever he has shopping bags because there's quite a trek from his apartment down to the car park.

Well the NCPS scum decided to clamp him today... They didn't even have the decency to think about the disabled sign on this windshield. He was parked right next to a ramp on the footpath so it's handy for wheelchair access.

I know rules are rules but discretion should be used...

Why should he be allowed to disobey parking laws?

Any why call people scum for doing their job?

Stheno wrote: »
    Why should he be allowed to disobey parking laws?

Any why call people scum for doing their job?

Why? Because it's not causing any hassle on that street. Because the person has difficulty bring shopping bags to his car. Because it makes sense in this case.

Sure why should we have disabled spots? They're pointless anyway.

I don't see any problem calling such a clamper scum because they couldn't even use their head in this situation. It's all just a money racket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Tbh it's so rare I'd have the ignition on and the engine not running that I'd to go out and check mine. It's usually that I've switched the engine off and need to put on the ignition to close a window that I'd do it :) Years of alfa ownership have me engrained into physically checking the oil extremely regularly so the absence of the lights wouldn't bother me.

Typical petrol driver :pac: me being a typical diesel driver I generally turn on ignition and leave it a few seconds just the let the glow plugs come on and let the fuel pump run makes it quicker to start too less cranking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

job seeker wrote: »
    Passed with the adviserie as the rear number plate light was gone.. The tester was like.. "your rear number number plate light is gone" I was like "oh" then he handed the n.c.t cert.. Late night maybe? Ha

That's normal, a fail advisory doesn't affect you getting the cert.
    Save your braincells and steer clear
    I just read the last few pages of that thread, what a trainwreck!
    CIP4 wrote: »
    Typical petrol driver :pac: me being a typical diesel driver I generally turn on ignition and leave it a few seconds just the let the glow plugs come on and let the fuel pump run makes it quicker to start too less cranking.

Ah I remember having a diesel, an old one, and having to sit there for ages for the glow plugs to go out
    Why? Because it's not causing any hassle on that street. Because the person has difficulty bring shopping bags to his car. Because it makes sense in this case.

Sure why should we have disabled spots? They're pointless anyway.

I don't see any problem calling such a clamper scum because they couldn't even use their head in this situation. It's all just a money racket.

They weren't to know why he was parked there. If he doesn't want to be clamped he shouldn't be parked on double yellows.
    If he has a genuine case to make to get a disabled parking spot close by then he should maybe approach the council about them putting one in place?

Completely OT anyone here have an M8 phone and found the battery is gone to the dogs recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

This is how you leave for work in the morning, no glow plugs in sight :p

They weren't to know why he was parked there. If he doesn't want to be clamped he shouldn't be parked on double yellows.
    If he has a genuine case to make to get a disabled parking spot close by then he should maybe approach the council about them putting one in place?

I know he shouldn't be parked there but there has been cars on that road parking over night the past few years and nothing happened. The disabled guy just happened to be unlucky as he always parks there for 20 minutes tops.

I think discretion should be used but clearly this company is not interested in human decency.

I got pulled by a Garda on a bike months ago when I passed my driving test for going onto the bus lane because I couldn't be bothered waiting for traffic to move forward when I was taking a left in town. He pulled me over, gave me a good 5 minute lecture and told me that I should be getting a fine and penalty points. He didn't end up fining me and that's what I mean about discretion.

It was lesson learned for me and I never did it again. You just don't NEED to bombard people with fines, points and worst of all clamping their car where it shouldn't be parked resulting in the car staying there for longer than it would have stayed if it weren't clamped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Dragging ye back to window tints, rear window tints are grand, often look nice, but front ones, especially darker ones are just plain knacker looking, give a peado impression, to me anyway.

• Advertisement

You just don't NEED to bombard people with fines, points and worst of all clamping their car where it shouldn't be parked resulting in the car staying there for longer than it would have stayed if it weren't clamped.

It was the only thing that worked to improve the availability of parking on street in Dublin city centre.

What town/area was he clamped in? There are appeals processes if he feels it was unfair or done in error, but I don't think he can make much of a case for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Dragging ye back to window tints, rear window tints are grand, often look nice, but front ones, especially darker ones are just plain knacker looking, give a peado impression, to me anyway.

I think anything with dark back tints and none on the front looks like a van.

You do know you can be fined by the cops if they stop you with illegal front tints?

Personal taste and all that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Popped up the Blanchardstown for the weekly BM.....err I mean the weekly E36 Meet they have up there :pac:

Forgot my Camera so excuse the poor phone pictures!

20150730_203154_zps3dpl3p0z.jpg

20150730_203202_zpstrdcc2te.jpg

20150730_203213_zpskbvspygl.jpg

20150730_203222_zps8ptqoarx.jpg

20150730_203230_zpssdfkaobp.jpg

20150730_205342_zpsyridzaen.jpg

20150730_212953_zpsfsbkc1hf.jpg

20150730_213157_zps1hhvhtmj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Cork > Dublin > Cork for a midweek evening meet? Kudos dude. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The voices told me to...

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Cork > Dublin > Cork for a midweek evening meet? Kudos dude. :)

Sure what else would ya be doing on a Thursday evening :P

It's always good to meet new people like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Is it even worth thinking about importing from UK if budget for car is 10'000 (not including VRT) ?

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »
    Is it even worth thinking about importing from UK if budget for car is 10'000 (not including VRT) ?

Not with the exchange rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Sure what else would ya be doing on a Thursday evening :P

It's always good to meet new people like that.

Wouldnt even drop by mine to say hello :(

arleitiss wrote:

Why wouldn't it, plenty of nice high spec cars going for around 8k sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

wow, just rang my insurance agent to see about adding on the alloy wheels, I had rang them before but they said it would not be a problem, now they are saying I may have to bring the car to a garage to have a look and see if it is modified. All I asked was could I add new alloy wheels.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Getting the pre test jitters. .

Chris that is ridiculous, how does it affect the car at all!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Getting the pre test jitters. .

Chris that is ridiculous, how does it affect the car at all!

a simple yes or no was all I was looking for. The guy said, if I talk to the insurance company they might think you are a boy racer.

Got a yes. Happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's all getting a bit much when you have to ask your insurance company about alloys. My car came from the factory with style 189 alloys. Does that mean that if I put MV4s on it that it's modified????

@Foxhole Norman

Most of those BMW seem to be of the same vintage. They look well.

• Advertisement

@Foxhole Norman

They would be since it's an E36 meet :P

It's all getting a bit much when you have to ask your insurance company about alloys. My car came from the factory with style 189 alloys. Does that mean that if I put MV4s on it that it's modified????

Yup, when dealing with the retarded insurers over here it does anyway. It's hilarious reading posts from anyone 'on the inside'. They either have their head so far up their own ass, or they just don't realise how cracked they sound.

Yet you can hop across to the UK and quite happily insure just about anything or any mod. The things I've seen at drift events (in the car park, that are all road legal) - some of them could easily have been competing. I couldn't believe the day I saw an RX7 (twin turbo) that must have been running about 700hp, stripped out, roll cage and bucket seats, full race dash with switches and flocking, and quad apexi air intakes coming out through the bonnet. Fully legal.

Yup, when dealing with the retarded insurers over here it does anyway. It's hilarious reading posts from anyone 'on the inside'. They either have their head so far up their own ass, or they just don't realise how cracked they sound.

Yet you can hop across to the UK and quite happily insure just about anything or any mod. The things I've seen at drift events (in the car park, that are all road legal) - some of them could easily have been competing. I couldn't believe the day I saw an RX7 (twin turbo) that must have been running about 700hp, stripped out, roll cage and bucket seats, full race dash with switches and flocking, and quad apexi air intakes coming out through the bonnet. Fully legal.

Adrian flux are the only people there that i know of who insure modified cars, anything at all goes with them

Anyone read up about Audi Galways car giveaway scam?

Chancers, damages their name big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Anyone read up about Audi Galways car giveaway scam?

Chancers, damages their name big time

Scam??

I didnt really look much into it but its been all over my facebook today and yesterday with people sharing a picture of an Audi A3 convertible from them. Whats the story with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Advertisement

Basically audi galway had a competition. You had to like their page, a specific post with the comp details and tag a friend in the comments. The prize was to have a 152 a3 for the weekend. The winner was to be announced at 3 today (gained 30k plus likes since announcing the comp). 3 o clock today comes and they announce the winner as May Lydon. People soon discovered there was no such person that entered the competition. In response audi Galway made a facebook account hastily, calling the person May Lydon, despite making blunders such as putting the profile pic as a man and gender as male. The only post on the page (which was made after the competition closed) was something about praising audi.

Basically they made the competition to get more facebook likes and had no intention of giving away the a3 for the weekend. People are up in arms over it! Hah

Basically audi galway had a competition. You had to like their page, a specific post with the comp details and tag a friend in the comments. The prize was to have a 152 a3 for the weekend. The winner was to be announced at 3 today (gained 30k plus likes since announcing the comp). 3 o clock today comes and they announce the winner as May Lydon. People soon discovered there was no such person that entered the competition. In response audi Galway made a facebook account hastily, calling the person May Lydon, despite making blunders such as putting the profile pic as a man and gender as male. The only post on the page (which was made after the competition closed) was something about praising audi.

Basically they made the competition to get more facebook likes and had no intention of giving away the a3 for the weekend. People are up in arms over it! Hah

Awful thing to do just so they get more "likes" on their page. Just went on to their page and people are giving out stink about them! Wonder will it make the papers tomorrow or just stay on the likes of joe.ie (i.e. none of the national papers have any articles online about it).

Mr ybfocus dropped over to the house

Gave him a spin in the 900, the silly grin factor was strong :pac: :D

Hope it does, I know it's only the loan of a car for the weekend, but if that's the sort of trickery they are up to then it's bad form.

Audi Ballina did it last year and gave the car away no bother, had pics of the winner with their family and everything.

No trace of the competition is on their page now so I'm told, all that remains is the 30k+ likes they got 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And why not?? The last motorcycle I had would pull 175mph, including 90mph in first gear. Tested and verified.

• Advertisement

Hope it does, I know it's only the loan of a car for the weekend, but if that's the sort of trickery they are up to then it's bad form.

Audi Ballina did it last year and gave the car away no bother, had pics of the winner with their family and everything.

No trace of the competition is on their page now so I'm told, all that remains is the 30k+ likes they got 

I remember the one that Ballina done - I think I entered it myself haha!

Very bad that it was a scam, but makes it even worse that they've deleted all evidence of it. The reviews on their facebook page has dropped from 4.5/5 down to 2/5 and I presume it will drop lower throughout the evening.

I reckon whoever came up with the idea of the competition will be getting his P45 on Monday morning :rolleyes:

@Foxhole Norman

They were all a credit to their owners too! All seriously well maintained/clean machines!

A brother-in-law of mine bought a new Renault Fluence in 2011. He was visiting one weekend and he and I were out talking cars. He took a look at my number-plate and explained that I too could avail of the Fantastic Scrappage Deal and get a new 1.5l diesel Renault. "Hop into that, there" says I, and started tbe Jag, which burbled gently as usual as if to say "Ah, there you are young Sir, would you like a Courvoisier?" as he sank into a hitherto-unknown world of comfort, walnut and sitting low with his legs stretched out rather like a Lamborghini. :)

So we trundle off, accelerating nice and lively with only a distant, muffled <rumble> to be heard from forward of the Bridge. Then I get out on the road. I floor it in second and third, going into the cam-phase change zone around 3,200 RPM. That's when the beefy old Petunia gathers up her skirts and starts to roar like a, well, like a Big Cat.

After landing, he's staring forward like St. Paul after being Damascified. I quip something like, no harm to take her up around the ton now and then. He says, "Yes, it would probably be a pity to do the scrappage thing..." ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    A brother-in-law of mine bought a new Renault Fluence in 2011. He was visiting one weekend and he and I were out talking cars. He took a look at my number-plate and explained that I too could avail of the Fantastic Scrappage Deal and get a new 1.5l diesel Renault. "Hop into that, there" says I, and started tbe Jag, which burbled gently as usual as if to say "Ah, there you are young Sir, would you like a Courvoisier?" as he sank into a hitherto-unknown world of comfort, walnut and sitting low with his legs stretched out rather like a Lamborghini. :)

So we trundle off, accelerating nice and lively with only a distant, muffled <rumble> to be heard from forward of the Bridge. Then I get out on the road. I floor it in second and third, going into the cam-phase change zone around 3,200 RPM. That's when the beefy old Petunia gathers up her skirts and starts to roar like a, well, like a Big Cat.

After landing, he's staring forward like St. Paul after being Damascified. I quip something like, no harm to take her up around the ton now and then. He says, "Yes, it would probably be a pity to do the scrappage thing..." ;)

:pac: That's brilliant haha, according to him mine is surprisingly comfy, which is is, and there's something about it that he likes that he can't put his finger on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You've got a boards motor sticker on the window? Modified!

GvidoR wrote: »
    You've got a boards motor sticker on the window? Modified!

LOL :D

"The window is now highly narcissistic and anti-250 SEL....you get an extra 50 bhp" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Yeah there was some silly giggling, she pulls really well ;)

The car that is :pac:

I wonder what Audi HQ would have to say on the matter, if they somehow became aware of it.

I wonder what Audi HQ would have to say on the matter, if they somehow became aware of it.

Hans: Goontur, goontur.....schau hier an Irishce Audi Gesichtbuch Seite
    Gunther: Mein Gott Hans.......dass ist nicht Vorsprung!!!

Hans: Goontur, goontur.....schau hier an Irishce Audi Gesichtbuch Seite
    Gunther: Mein Gott Hans.......dass ist nicht Vorsprung!!!

Achtung! Der Dumpfelstafen Arseways Egyptians ist as der Actingderbollixen! Die Arseways Egyptians ist Verboten! Schnell, raus raus!! Dr. Fuzz, jump in and correct me! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement