Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

CIP4 wrote: »
    Would you not get sick of constantly going to the petrol station to buy smaller amounts of fuel. The first day I collected my Megane I filled the tank to the brim and I have only ever filled it to the brim everytime I've never stopped in with the intention of putting xx euro in it well with this car anyway I've done it before.

It's cheaper to get 10, 15, 20 at a time, if you know what I mean.

Also if anything goes wrong with the car, you wont have wasted too much on fuel. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Would you not get sick of constantly going to the petrol station to buy smaller amounts of fuel. The first day I collected my Megane I filled the tank to the brim and I have only ever filled it to the brim everytime I've never stopped in with the intention of putting xx euro in it well with this car anyway I've done it before.

Not everyone can afford to do it like that. I only ever fill mine or top up with a minimum of €20 but everyone's situation is different.

Mine currently is averaging 22mpg and 35 or so Motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I try to only fill up on maxol, car runs alot better on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

GvidoR wrote: »
    It's cheaper to get 10, 15, 20 at a time, if you know what I mean.

Also if anything goes wrong with the car, you wont have wasted too much on fuel. :D

I get what your saying if you change cars a lot last minute you don't want to be having to transfer fuel.
    Not everyone can afford to do it like that. I only ever fill mine or top up with a minimum of €20 but everyone's situation is decent.

Mine currently is averaging 22mpg and 35 or so Motorway.

Granted the upfront cost is higher or the first time you brim it will be expensive. But you can then choose to fill it at 3/4 of a tank or whatever still only costing you 20 quidish. I suppose in my case there aren't any decent petrol stations where I work and it's 25km each way so I wouldn't like to chance driving it on low fuel all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    Also if anything goes wrong with the car, you wont have wasted too much on fuel.

Neighbour follows that same principle in respect to tax. Taxes it for 3 months at a time, god forbid anything would happen to the car and he'd be out of pocket. Even though it costs more to tax it every 3 months than in one go for the year.

You see, you put €10.03 worth of fuel in your car and you pay a tenner cash.

So you save a couple of cents each time and they add up. :P
    Neighbour follows that same principle in respect to tax. Taxes it for 3 months at a time, god forbid anything would happen to the car and he'd be out of pocket. Even though it costs more to tax it every 3 months than in one go for the year.

I do that too. TBH you're not saving much by taxing it for a full year.

GvidoR wrote:
    I do that too. TBH you're not saving much by taxing it for a full year.

Ya but you're probably in a different situation to this fella, he just does it for the sake of being mean. Loaded so he is.

I used to work in a petrol station, and I know of others who did, but my cut off with the 10.04 etc of fuel was 10.05. If you went above that, tough shyte your paying. If you can't keep to within a few cents of the 10 euro or whatever then you aren't paying attention and are just milking it. It doesn't take 5 cents over to realise to stop.

If I accidentally go over 10.05 I don't even try to get the "discount", I get my cent coins ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

As FN said, not everyone is in the financial position to have 70-80 quid sitting in a tank at one go. For a long time I was the same and used to do €30-€40.

It also helps to have a car that does over 50mpg as opposed to mine which used to do 30....

GvidoR wrote:
    If I accidentally go over 10.05 I don't even try to get the "discount", I get my cent coins ready.

You'd be surprised with the amount of people that would think it's perfectly acceptable. They would get all thick then. There isn't enough margin on fuel to be letting 5 cent off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Good grief I hate bits and butts being put into the tank. Brim or not going to bother filling until I can fund a full tank

Unless its some auld yoke being moved about now and again....!

166man wrote: »
    As FN said, not everyone is in the financial position to have 70-80 quid sitting in a tank at one go. For a long time I was the same and used to do €30-€40.

It also helps to have a car that does over 50mpg as opposed to mine which used to do 30....

No 50 mpg out of this one unfortunately but I get what your saying and about half way through college next year I'll probably be the same. It's grand keeping it full of diesel when you have a decent amount of wages coming into your account every week not so easy if you are working part time or out of work or whatever.
    You'd be surprised with the amount of people that would think it's perfectly acceptable. They would get all thick then. There isn't enough margin on fuel to be letting 5 cent off

This is not aimed at gv whatsoever I don't even know if you do this or not. but one of my pet hates is queueing in a petrol station and people in front of you 20.05 of petrol or whatever and they literally throw a 20 euro note at the cashier and turn around and walk very quickly out of the place with a big grin on there face. I don't see how it's acceptable behaviour or very fair to the staff either. I mean you wouldn't go into Supervalu and say the the cashier here will you take 20 euro if your shopping was 20.05 euro.

I've never done it granted I pay for fuel with my debit card 99% of the time it's too painful to pay for it with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I couldn't dream of filling the tank on my car every time much like I couldn't dream of taxing 12 months at a time.

Its not enjoyable but once the car gets me by day to day it will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it would be good to type in how much fuel you want and the pump will shut off exactly on the dot of 10.00 or 20.00 I'm only good at getting its on the 00s either right after a cup of coffee or if I take ages tapping it from 95 97 98 99 then it goes straight to 2 cent over and you're ****ed you have to keep going to the nearest 5er or the man at the till will know I'm **** at pumping petrol

it would be good to type in how much fuel you want and the pump will shut off exactly on the dot of 10.00 or 20.00 I'm only good at getting its on the 00s either right after a cup of coffee or if I take ages tapping it from 95 97 98 99 then it goes straight to 2 cent over and you're ****ed you have to keep going to the nearest 5er or the man at the till will know I'm **** at pumping petrol

There is a 24/7 filling station in Carrick where you put in cash or card, select how much you want to put in the car and it stops right at that amount.

OSI wrote: »
    A good few petrol stations in Dublin now with pay at pump that allow you to select a set amount.

That's not great if you do want to brim it or if your not sure how much it will take ie you select 40 euro it only takes 37 euro to fill not sure what happens then. Grand if you have an empty tank and your putting in 20 or 30 euro just select and pump away handy that way. I assume them pumps will only take card as well which wouldn't suit if you were paying with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Different mentality, used to see the extra few cent something for me. Even though it was duck all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

As was said a good few petrol stations have the option of paying at the pump and setting select amount, my local Tesco has this option.

I just pay for what i filled, who cares if it's an odd number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

That's not great if you do want to brim it or if your not sure how much it will take ie you select 40 euro it only takes 37 euro to fill not sure what happens then. Grand if you have an empty tank and your putting in 20 or 30 euro just select and pump away handy that way. I assume them pumps will only take card as well which wouldn't suit if you were paying with cash.

I know that Topaz Cashel (exit 8 from the M8) give you the option of paying in the shop after you fill up, or paying beforehand with your card and selecting how much you'd like to put in.

I was there last week and there was 19c of a difference between diesel and petrol.

I know that Topaz Cashel (exit 8 from the M8) give you the option of paying in the shop after you fill up, or paying beforehand with your card and selecting how much you'd like to put in.

I was there last week and there was 19c of a difference between diesel and petrol.

I've been there a few times. Was there maybe 2 months ago it was a pitstop on the way to Kerry. I've never actually bought fuel there though so I wouldn't have noticed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

I've been there a few times. Was there maybe 2 months ago it was a pitstop on the way to Kerry. I've never actually bought fuel there though so I wouldn't have noticed it.

One thing I cant stand is people getting fuel and then leaving their cars at the pump when they go in to pay, and they know that you are waiting behind them to use the pump. Its one thing I like about using your card at the pump!

Was in Cashel today and the car in front of me and the two to my left were both just parked there with no one in them and the queue behind them. I put €50 into the Corolla and by the time I got out, payed at the pump and filled it, those 3 cars were still there.

One thing I cant stand is people getting fuel and then leaving their cars at the pump when they go in to pay, and they know that you are waiting behind them to use the pump. Its one thing I like about using your card at the pump!

Was in Cashel today and the car in front of me and the two to my left were both just parked there with no one in them and the queue behind them. I put €50 into the Corolla and by the time I got out, payed at the pump and filled it, those 3 cars were still there.

That's annoying alright. I normally just park in a space if I'm not getting diesel. Although if the place was empty during a quite time and there was 8 or 10 pumps free I'd often pull up at one if I was going in to get something in the shop but would never be that long in there and wouldn't do it if the place was even slightly busy.

Sometimes you do end up spending ages queueing to pay for fuel which holds it up abit I suppose.

As was said a good few petrol stations have the option of paying at the pump and setting select amount, my local Tesco has this option.

I've never filled up at a Tesco petrol station. It's been years since I even last saw one.

I've never filled up at a Tesco petrol station. It's been years since I even last saw one.

That is where I always go. There is one in my local town Claremorris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Went up the Vee for the first time today. What a view, what a road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Even if they move the car the pump will be blocked until the person pays for the fuel. So if they go into the shop and start doing their weekly shopping you'd still be waiting until they've finished.
    Pain in the bollocks all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »

For a split second I thought you were talking about the lady vee :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

colm_mcm wrote: »

Really is, a few of us from alfaowner go every year, always a good drive.
    The road from Lismore to the Vee is unreal this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There was an MX5 up there with the roof down, would've have loved a swap for an hour

Saw an Alfa Sprint in one of the towns on the way down (tipp I think)

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Even if they move the car the pump will be blocked until the person pays for the fuel. So if they go into the shop and start doing their weekly shopping you'd still be waiting until they've finished.
    Pain in the bollocks all the same.

In two stations I use (both Esso I think.. not 100% sure, but they have both got an "on the run" shop attached), you can get two separate fills before it stops working.

In other words, the till inside the shop sees the current sale, and the previous one. So if you get your fuel, and pull up into a parking space at the shop (to allow the person behind to use the pump) they can use the pump while you're inside.

However, if you knew each other and waited to go in to pay for the fuel together, and a third person pulled up, he wouldn't be able to use the pump until the two previous transactions were cleared.

That said.. I could be miles off.. that's just how it was explained to me before in the shop once by a girl working there.

Best response to that rag&bone ad where they destroyed the poor Porsche.
    (if anyone doesn't remember it or hasn't seen it, click here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Saw an absolute beauty of an E60 M5 touring earlier leaving dublin. Stopped in applegreen to get fuel too. The sound of it going through the toll was awesome :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Best response to that rag&bone ad where they destroyed the poor Porsche.
    (if anyone doesn't remember it or hasn't seen it, click here)

Holy ****! What is wrong with those people?!
    Though 48 likes and 5318 dislikes very clearly show where rag & bone can shove that ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

https://goo.gl/maps/2yDpH

Anyone else thing this yield sign doesn't belong here? The slip road is pretty much one of the longest sliproads you will get on the N7 (maybe) and there is a yield sign.

The amount of times I've seen people stopping to wait for a gap on the N7 is crazy because you won't even get a gap unless it's at night.

I think it's even more dangerous because instead of people accelerating from 30-40 km/h they are going from 0 km/h and add that to people not using the slip road for acceleration and just hopping straight onto the N7 at 60 km/h causing people to jump on brakes :rolleyes:

Got a chance to try out Rain X in the... rain!

It's pretty good stuff. At about 60 km/h the rain drops begin to fly off the windshield and at that speed you pretty much don't even need to use the wiper blades.

I drove home on the N7 with my wiper blades off the whole time :cool:

Going round a roundabout at any sort of "high" speed results in rain drop flying sideways off the windshield :pac:

Pov06 wrote: »
    Got a chance to try out Rain X in the... rain!

It's pretty good stuff. At about 60 km/h the rain drops begin to fly off the windshield and at that speed you pretty much don't even need to use the wiper blades.

I drove home on the N7 with my wiper blades off the whole time :cool:

Going round a roundabout at any sort of "high" speed results in rain drop flying sideways off the windshield :pac:

Rain X is pretty decent alright, but doesn't kick in until decent speeds (meaning if you just trotter about the town it'll probably never make any difference, but if you spend a fair whack of time on the motorway you'll likely be much more impressed with it's efforts).

Their anti-fog stuff is pretty decent, too, I found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone else thing this yield sign doesn't belong here? The slip road is pretty much one of the longest sliproads you will get on the N7 (maybe) and there is a yield sign.

The amount of times I've seen people stopping to wait for a gap on the N7 is crazy because you won't even get a gap unless it's at night.

I think it's even more dangerous because instead of people accelerating from 30-40 km/h they are going from 0 km/h and add that to people not using the slip road for acceleration and just hopping straight onto the N7 at 60 km/h causing people to jump on brakes :rolleyes:

Belongs just fine. Goes to show that plenty of people have no idea that you yield to cars already on the road you're joining. Yield sign just reinforces that. The majority of people expect cars on the road to move and let them join.

It's the same in the UK, not sure about other countries - if you can't join by the end of the slip, you stop and wait for a safe gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Rain X is pretty decent alright, but doesn't kick in until decent speeds (meaning if you just trotter about the town it'll probably never make any difference, but if you spend a fair whack of time on the motorway you'll likely be much more impressed with it's efforts).
    100% agree.
    Their anti-fog stuff is pretty decent, too, I found.
    Disagree. I found myself the best option to prevent fogging is keeping windscreen clean, interior dry and heating/aircon/fan/pollen filter in good condition. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Haven't tried Rain-X yet but I've used AutoGlym Fast Glass/Polish and wind that very good, can happily drive in the rain without wipers on.

• Advertisement

On the subject of Rain-x if you put your windshield wipers on when it rains or to clear dust etc.. would it not wipe the rain-x off and make it not last as long.

You would look like some nut job driving down the road pissing rain with no wipers on. :pac: :cool:

Belongs just fine. Goes to show that plenty of people have no idea that you yield to cars already on the road you're joining. Yield sign just reinforces that. The majority of people expect cars on the road to move and let them join.

It's the same in the UK, not sure about other countries - if you can't join by the end of the slip, you stop and wait for a safe gap.

So what's the long slip road for? Daydreaming?

The slip road only starts AFTER the yield sign so please don't insult people if you don't know what you're talking about. Must be a UK and Ireland thing, just shows how much people don't know about motorways since it's not part of the driving test.

Anywhere else in the world you have a slip road where you floor it to get to speed and merge. You should NEVER stop on a slip road. Imagine if there is a 20 tonne truck behind you having to accelerate at the end of a slip road. Actually wow, your post was really daft.

So what's the long slip road for? Daydreaming?

The slip road only starts AFTER the yield sign so please don't insult people if you don't know what you're talking about. Must be a UK and Ireland thing, just shows how much people don't know about motorways since it's not part of the driving test.

Anywhere else in the world you have a slip road where you floor it to get to speed and merge. You should NEVER stop on a slip road. Imagine if there is a 20 tonne truck behind you having to accelerate at the end of a slip road. Actually wow, your post was really daft.

Thats not a motorway though.

These are common enough off alot of light controlled junctions. Merge when safe to you have no right of way.

Thats not a motorway though.

These are common enough off alot of light controlled junctions. Merge when safe to you have no right of way.

VGOFhLs.jpg

Please tell me how this is safe...

So how do you merge? According to you guys (and the ones who actually thanked the other post) you stop, wait for a gap and accelerate.

Okay so, 0 to 100 in your car is what? 7 seconds in a decent motor, about 13 in a paddy-spec motor. I bet another car would be flying past at 100 km/h in about 5 seconds if not less.

And you still think I don't know what I am talking about????

The other suggestion was if there is no gap you stop at the end of the slip road :pac::pac::pac: Yeah and then try to accelerate your 20 tonne truck while Joe looking at his phone drives into the back of you whilst you're doing 20 km/h on the N7.

Good job guys, real motoring pros :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that coming out of citywest and heading to the m50?

If it is I can explain it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There is no way I'd be stopping on the head of a slip road on a motorway unless the traffic was very slow moving or stopped. Cannot ever remember a situation where it would be appropriate other than what I just mentioned.

Floor it, find a gap. Have used the hard shoulder as an extended slip road with heavy trailers before. Stopping a pulling out at 10-20mph there is just stupid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mycroft H wrote: »
    There is no way I'd be stopping on the head of a slip road on a motorway unless the traffic was very slow moving or stopped. Cannot ever remember a situation where it would be appropriate other than what I just mentioned.

Floor it, find a gap. Have used the hard shoulder as an extended slip road with heavy trailers before. Stopping a pulling out at 10-20mph there is just stupid.

It's a yield not a stop sign, if its where I think it was that slip used be literally metres it's quadrupled in length

Much safer now

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that coming out of citywest and heading to the m50?

If it is I can explain it:)

Stheno wrote: »
    It's a yield not a stop sign, if its where I think it was that slip used be literally metres it's quadrupled in length

Much safer now

No that's going towards Naas.

I know what you're talking about though because I use those roads every day.

• Advertisement

No that's going towards Naas.

I know what you're talking about though because I use those roads every day.

Ah never took that particular one recently but if it's like that one I mentioned it used be lethal
    actually thinking back about five years or so it was and it was lethal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement