Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah never took that particular one but if it's like that one I mentioned it used be lethal
    actually thinking back about five years or so it was and it was lethal

You're talking about this one:
    https://goo.gl/maps/c2sL9

And yes, the yield sign makes sense here because this slip road is shared with the next exit so people drive onto the slip road even though there's a good 400 meters until their exit.

I drive this road everyday and it definitely makes sense.

On the other side where I pointed out, there is no exit there and it's just a normal slip road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pov06 wrote: »
    You're talking about this one:
    https://goo.gl/maps/c2sL9

And yes, the yield sign makes sense here because this slip road is shared with the next exit so people drive onto the slip road even though there's a good 400 meters until their exit.

I drive this road everyday and it definitely makes sense.

On the other side where I pointed out, there is no exit there and it's just a normal slip road.

Yeah but I can see the sense of it being there it's just passed the point where the n7 limit goes from 60-100 and people are speeding up

And it makes sense to remind people they are joining a major road

Yeah but I can see the sense of it being there it's just passed the point where the n7 limit goes from 60-100 and people are speeding up

And it makes sense to remind people they are joining a major road

Exactly 5 kilometres away from that point. Like I said, the slip road is really long.

I would rather someone accelerate hard, speed and get in front of me instead of driving slowly and then me having to jam on the brakes or jump into the middle lane.

Yielding is definitely not possible, it just makes things more dangerous. You should try to drive there and when you get behind someone who stops fully you won't be very happy, especially in a small engined car like me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Exactly 5 kilometres away from that point. Like I said, the slip road is really long.

I would rather someone accelerate hard, speed and get in front of me instead of driving slowly and then me having to jam on the brakes or jump into the middle lane.

Yielding is definitely not possible, it just makes things more dangerous. You should try to drive there and when you get behind someone who stops fully you won't be very happy, especially in a small engined car like me.

Look it happens on pretty much everyone ramp going there are a few on the m50 which are also lethal

Best approach imo is to move into the middle lane to allow people enter the road, otherwise its dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've never had to stop at the end of a slip road but I've definitely had times where people really didn't want to make a gap for me to merge into.
    Strange really because it doesn't take much effort to watch someone coming on the slip road and slightly changing speed to either pass the end before they'll get there or allow there to be a bigger gap for them, or just move into the other lane if nobody is overtaking/sitting there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I'm now convinced that Sunday drivers are properly a thing. I mean it consistently Takes me longer to get home from work on a Sunday evening than any other day of the week. Coming home this evening just after 7pm stuck behind slow moving car after slow moving car 50-60 km in a 100kmh zone with almost zero opportunities to pass. Ah it least it's only 25km hardly a huge trek. This morning was grand but I don't think there are any Sunday drivers up at 6am :pac:

CIP4 wrote: »
    I'm now convinced that Sunday drivers are properly a thing. I mean it consistently Takes me longer to get home from work on a Sunday evening than any other day of the week. Coming home this evening just after 7pm stuck behind slow moving car after slow moving car 50-60 km in a 100kmh zone with almost zero opportunities to pass. Ah it least it's only 25km hardly a huge trek. This morning was grand but I don't think there are any Sunday drivers up at 6am :pac:

Weekend drivers I call them went to naas for afternoon tea yesterday and the amount of slow drivers and lane hogs was unreal

Anyone going to the Open Car Track Day in Mondello tomorrow?

http://www.mondellopark.ie/ctd_aug_3/

30 euro for a 20 minute spin! Booking on the day.

Weekend drivers I call them went to naas for afternoon tea yesterday and the amount of slow drivers and lane hogs was unreal

Ye it's a pain I mean I never have the issue on weekday evenings. I would often get stuck behind trucks more so in the mornings but I normally get passed them plus they are our own trucks so I can't complain about them :pac:

Ye it's a pain I mean I never have the issue on weekday evenings. I would often get stuck behind trucks more so in the mornings but I normally get passed them plus they are our own trucks so I can't complain about them :pac:

Ha I've one customer with a massive fleet of trucks.
    They are in the ass end of nowhere and the roads are wicked.

The truck drivers drive those roads like they own them and frighten the bejasus out of me regularly.

everytime I tell my customer, he just laughs and tells me I should experience the guys coming from the North :)

On car stuff, I may have mentioned the Ohs 2000 merc e200 has been failing to start. Friday he drove maybe a ten mile round trip to the doctor.
    Saturday it wouldn't start.

THis has been happening a while, it was intermittent before the car was serviced but is much more regular now, literally day to day he is unsure if the car will start.

The battery was tested while serviced and it's fine, but it's since the service the battery going flat is a particular issue. Now most of you who know me know that I don't know a lot about what goes on under the engine, but aside from an alternator failing, could it be some connection got knocked loose? (Can't see that myself tbh)

Or can alternators slowly fail?

We did think he was inadvertently leaving the boot open, but that's now not the case, so less than 36 hours for the battery to fail is a mystery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mycroft H wrote: »
    There is no way I'd be stopping on the head of a slip road on a motorway unless the traffic was very slow moving or stopped. Cannot ever remember a situation where it would be appropriate other than what I just mentioned.

Floor it, find a gap. Have used the hard shoulder as an extended slip road with heavy trailers before. Stopping a pulling out at 10-20mph there is just stupid.

Imagine the complete mind fvck it would be for the RSA to tell people that the average car can decelerate much faster than it can accelerate, so the only sensible thing to do is err on the side of more speed rather than less and brake if you have to, rather than dawdling out like a gimp in top gear gear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anyone going to the Open Car Track Day in Mondello tomorrow?

http://www.mondellopark.ie/ctd_aug_3/

30 euro for a 20 minute spin! Booking on the day.

Went to the one they had on a couple of months ago to watch, unfortunately the bad weather ruined it imo. If it had been nice out and I had decent tyres I probably would of put my bus on the track for the 20mins. If it stays dry though and there's a decent turnout it should be good day.

@stheno did you visually look at the battery and see what it's like what ah / cca value does it have as when people change car batteries they love buying the smallest cheapest batteries they can get. To me with my limited enough knowledge I would guess that either the battery is shagged and can't hold charge and needs to be replaced which I had to put a new battery in my 4 year old Astra same with the megane new battery and its 4 years old.

Otherwise you have a drain on the battery ie something is drawing current be it interior light or an alarm etc although it's more likely to be that the battery is shagged. I doubt it's the alternator as if it was youd get the battery discharge warning coming on when driving under high load or at least it would flicker on and off when idling with lights heater etc ie load on it. If you have a multimeter you could test voltage with the car on and car off you should get 12 with car off and 14 ish with car on with load on it is turn on lights heater.

Edit: When it won't start will it turn over just too weak for the engine to catch and fire up or does it just not turn over at all completely dead do you get ignition lights and all.

@stheno did you visually look at the battery and see what it's like what ah / cca value does it have as when people change car batteries they love buying the smallest cheapest batteries they can get. To me with my limited enough knowledge I would guess that either the battery is shagged and can't hold charge and needs to be replaced which I had to put a new battery in my 4 year old Astra same with the megane new battery and its 4 years old.

Otherwise you have a drain on the battery is something is drawing current be it interior light or an alarm etc although it's more likely to be that the battery is shagged. I doubt it's the alternator as if it was you get the battery discharge warning coming on when driving under high load or at least it would flicker on and off when idling with lights heater etc ie load on it. If you have a multimeter you could test voltage with the car on and car off you should get 12 with car off and 14 ish with car on with load on it is turn on lights heater.

No you know me, I don't do much mechanical stuff, but there it nothing new drawing off the battery

Mechanic took it down to our local motor factors as part of the service and checked it was at the right amp level when on. Personally I think OH should change the battery, it's there at least three years, and see if that makes a difference.

Problem with my OH is that once a car gives trouble, he writes it off, unlike me who will tend to persist a bit.

I've enough free time this week to do the battery change and pay for it, and see how we get on :) I'll also talk to our mechanic about it :)

Just do yourself a favour and buy a decent make that is the right size and ideally as high a cca as possible. As your at nothing putting a 40 ah battery (just picking at random) in it you might as well try and turn it over with your hand granted this would be a bigger thing for a diesel as they are naturally harder to start but still applies to petrol. I think Bosch have a battery size thing on there website it's a c200 he has.

If your changing the battery yourself make sure to bolt on the clamps good and tight on to the terminals. As with electricity in general bad/ loose connections generate heat and increase resistance in the circuit.

Just do yourself a favour and buy a decent make that is the right size and ideally as high a cca as possible. As your at nothing putting a 40 ah battery (just picking at random) in it you might as well try and turn it over with your hand granted this would be a bigger thing for a diesel as they are naturally harder to start but still applies to petrol. I think Bosch have a battery size thing on there website it's a c200 he has.

If your changing the battery yourself make sure to bolt on the clamps good and tight on to the terminals. As with electricity in general bad/ loose connections generate heat and increase resistance in the circuit.

I'll buy the right spec battery from my mechanics motor factors and get them to fit it so no worries on that front.

I half think the battery is a bit shagged tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Beware, a silly dgt speaking his mind...!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so selfish, so condescending, so betraying, so patronizing... They befriend you, leech off you, use you then stab you in the back... Yet still have the cheek to imitate your personality. The pettiness never goes unnoticed. Not that I'm going to care, as these people will ostracize themselves when they show their true colours, growing old and bitter of their own making. Maybe they will realize, hopefully when its too late to reverse any damage done.

A thought that came into my mind earlier :)

Car related, I have the gazebo out over the 406 to stop the rain soaking the seats and giving me a wet arse. Aftermarket sunroofs should be banned

dgt wrote: »
    Beware, a silly dgt speaking his mind...!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so selfish, so condescending, so betraying, so patronizing... They befriend you, leech off you, use you then stab you in the back... Yet still have the cheek to imitate your personality. The pettiness never goes unnoticed. Not that I'm going to care, as these people will ostracize themselves when they show their true colours, growing old and bitter of their own making. Maybe they will realize, hopefully when its too late to reverse any damage done.

A thought that came into my mind earlier :)

Car related, I have the gazebo out over the 406 to stop the rain soaking the seats and giving me a wet arse. Aftermarket sunroofs should be banned

Assuming you are not talking about me in the first part of the post, I'm wondering if you have now desunroofed the pug, and hence the gazebo?

I'll buy the right spec battery from my mechanics motor factors and get them to fit it so no worries on that front.

I half think the battery is a bit shagged tbh

90 % of the time it is a shagged battery I'd personally always change the battery first before looking any deeper into it.

Assuming you are not talking about me in the first part of the post, I'm wondering if you have now desunroofed the pug, and hence the gazebo?

Ah no, not at all! You're sound out sure, along with most other posters here :D just a rambling thought I thought I'd share :)

It's to stop the rain leaking in, a tarp is too messy. I hopped in it one day and had to race in to the house to get cardboard for the seats...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Aftermarket sunroofs should be fitted properly

FYP ;)

joujoujou wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Touche :D however I have yet to see one that is...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] however I have yet to see one that is...!

Hard to find indeed. But surprisingly I found them even more reliable than the factory ones (if properly fitted of course), especially in terms of leaking - they're usually much more simple than the factory ones. :)

........... Personally I think OH should change the battery, it's there at least three years, and see if that makes a difference.

I've enough free time this week to do the battery change and pay for it, and see how we get on :) I'll also talk to our mechanic about it :)

May well be the battery but I wouldn't change it until a load test confirms the battery needs replacing. I'm sure your mechanic will advise a load test. If the battery is at fault at this time of year a load test will be very informative :)

As well as this some petroleum jelly / dialectric grease applied afterwards will prevent future corrosion :)

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so selfish, so condescending, so betraying, so patronizing... They befriend you, leech off you, use you then stab you in the back... Yet still have the cheek to imitate your personality. ...........

Scant consolation but it only happens to nice people :cool:

Augeo wrote: »
    May well be the battery but I wouldn't change it until a load test confirms the battery needs replacing. I'm sure your mechanic will advise a load test. If the battery is at fault at this time of year a load test will be very informative :)

As well as this some petroleum jelly / dialectric grease applied afterwards will prevent future corrosion :)

Load test was done at last service a few weeks ago and was fine

Mechanic is bemused

If it was an actual load test as opposed to a reading with a multimetre and it passed and it passes again this week than I would be confident to say it's not the battery :)

A mechanic being bemused with an electrical issue is par for the course generally speaking.... auto electricians exist because of this.

Augeo wrote: »
    If it was an actual load test as opposed to a reading with a multimetre and it passed and it passes again this week than I would be confident to say it's not the battery :)

A mechanic being bemused with an electrical issue is par for the course generally speaking.... auto electricians exist because of this.

Ah for sure, he's bemused as he has taken the car to a proper place to test the battery as opposed to doing the multimeter test :) (they've some kit they hook it up to, and run it for a while) and this issue has occured even though it appears the battery is ok.

I don't know of any decent auto electricians in North Dublin though, I used one to recondition an alternator, and frankly didn't like him. Replacing the battery is a cheap fix in one way if it is is, but I'll wait till Tuesday to talk to mechanic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Not much car related except to say that it seems common for cars in Spain to all have premium tyres. Noticed that today.

On an unrelated car note, I was bored last night and myself and another poster decided to go to Spain for a few days to make the most of the bank holiday weekend. Booked flights at 9pm, flew out at 1pm today....:D

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Not much car related except to say that it seems common for cars in Spain to all have premium tyres. Noticed that today.

On an unrelated car note, I was bored last night and myself and another poster decided to go to Spain for a few days to make the most of the bank holiday weekend. Booked flights at 9pm, flew out at 1pm today....:D

Is it really warm? I'm hoping for a week off in September, and I'm going somewhere warm, don't care where at this stage

Goodness, I'm here just over 5 years. Doesn't the time fly by! :)

Ah the memories, the ups and downs :)

Jaysis, I'm here twice that.

Blowin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Best of luck matey. You've got me out of many a pickle and given me a disease for alfas that i probably wouldn't have had without your in put.....see you soon, you'll be welcomed back by one and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

One of the people I know the best all thanks to this forum. A truly wonderful chap with an intelligence level that often goes unnoticed on this forum. You shall forever be known as king of "The Today I did something to my Car Thread"...!

We might see you back soon once you have owned all the 406's in the country..:D

A true friend, best of luck chap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ahh balls

• Advertisement

Best of luck matey. You've got me out of many a pickle and given me a disease for alfas that i probably wouldn't have had without your in put.....see you soon, you'll be welcomed back by one and all
    166man wrote: »
    One of the people I know the best all thanks to this forum. A truly wonderful chap with an intelligence level that often goes unnoticed on this forum. You shall forever be known as king of "The Today I did something to my Car Thread"...!

We might see you back soon once you have owned all the 406's in the country..:D

A true friend, best of luck chap. :)

Just noticed he closed his account

Shame, great contributor :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Another valued poster gone just like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Will miss him and his 406 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus dgt gone, he didn't post as often lately and then started posting a bit more frequently recently. I didn't know him or his old posts as I didn't frequent the motors forum here on boards but the time s I did see his posts he done some amazing things to cars. Shame he is gone and I wonder if he will still go to the meets, probably not, he probably has more important things to be doing now. So best of luck dgt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The Speed camera vans: are the cameras pointing out the back window only (at traffic coming towards them on their side), or the front as well? (at traffic on the other side of the road)

(I always assumed they were only at the back of the van.)

• Advertisement

Jesus dgt gone, he didn't post as often lately and then started posting a bit more frequently recently. I didn't know him or his old posts as I didn't frequent the motors forum here on boards but the time s I did see his posts he done some amazing things to cars. Shame he is gone and I wonder if he will still go to the meets, probably not, he probably has more important things to be doing now. So best of luck dgt.

TBH there are some right pricks on here lately who seem to be headlining the forum with their brand obsessed attitudes, and taking pot shots when they feel like it.

I can see why members leave. I wouldn't be anywhere near the level of dgt as a poster of value on here, but I've regularly felt like either unfollowing the forum or closing my boards account lately mainly due to how ****e this place is recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Problem is alot of posters snipe from a detached view.

Go to a meet and you will see that there are some genuinely great people behind the usernames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Stheno wrote:
    I can see why members leave. I wouldn't be anywhere near the level of dgt as a poster of value on here, but I've regularly felt like either unfollowing the forum or closing my boards account lately mainly due to how ****e this place is recently

There is a few pups around here lately, and are only here to act the maggot and stir controversy. I hope that mods are keeping an eye on such people.

Pity there isn't more genuine helpful guys/gals around.

Problem is alot of posters snipe from a detached view.

Go to a meet and you will see that there are some genuinely great people behind the usernames.

Well that's the thing, anyone I've met from here has been dead on, I've never gone to a meet as they are generally on Sundays when the OH has his kids over and we plan stuff to do, but I've met at least ten regular posters on here. All of them have been sound out, helped out if they've been able to, I've helped out where I could, some have been to my place and vice versa.

Others have just given great advice.

Then you've the people who'll never meet anyone here, who come on with their high horse/troll attitudes, with no interest in helping anyone or contributing positively.

It's the latter I find in the majority lately

gaiscioch wrote: »
    The Speed camera vans: are the cameras pointing out the back window only (at traffic coming towards them on their side), or the front as well? (at traffic on the other side of the road)

(I always assumed they were only at the back of the van.)

If you search on here you'll see plenty of posts that they can monitor both sides of the road.

There is a few pups around here lately, and are only here to act the maggot and stir controversy. I hope that mods are keeping an eye on such people.

Pity there isn't more genuine helpful guys/gals around.

There are still plenty of helpful people on here, god knows plenty of people were patient with me with my weird accelerator problem on the Honda :) There were a few who took the piss, but mostly in a nice way :)

And in fairness to the mods, anytime I report stuff, they deal with it. I've also seen them deal with loutish behaviour without prompting. I can think of about three users at the minute that are within the boundaries of appropriate behaviour, I imagine the mods are just waiting for them to step out of line to deal with them

It's cyclical, tends to be worse in summer, so this too shall pass :)

Shots fired!
    2yoxxma.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Talking off BMW...

I tried online to get a quote for E60 525d with Liberty... 1300eu! I pay with them 800eu for Subaru WRX! Madness!

Talking off BMW...

I tried online to get a quote for E60 525d with Liberty... 1300eu! I pay with them 800eu for Subaru WRX! Madness!

Thats mental

and it's of not off SH :)

We must be the only 3 saddos not out :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement