Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We must be the only 3 saddos not out :pac:

Lol I was out for dinner/lunch with the OH and his daughter earlier.

Came across a pig ignorant shower of people who completely invaded our table, to the point of using the one spare chair and plonking their drinks on our table.

I wanted a restful weekend this weekend and have gotten it, enjoyed the time out earlier then a few drinks at home.

Very enjoyable :)

I'm old though, almost as old as pred, what's your excuse?

Pred is probably having some sort of old person treatment given how bockety he is:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

On a fecking sunday hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Stheno wrote:

I was out Fri and Sat night, too much jig acting is what's wrong with me ha!

Trying to organise tickets and travel for Mayos matches in croker next Sat. Trying to get the uncle to bring a crowd of us!

On a fecking sunday hah

Bank Holiday hai. Great buzz around lawwwwd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was out Fri and Sat night, too much jig acting is what's wrong with me ha!

Trying to organise tickets and travel for Mayos matches in croker next Sat. Trying to get the uncle to bring a crowd of us!

Now I'm not trying to tear the scab off old wounds, but where are Mayo in the GAA this year (not a great follower)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Stheno wrote: »
    Lol I was out for dinner/lunch with the OH and his daughter earlier.

Came across a pig ignorant shower of people who completely invaded our table, to the point of using the one spare chair and plonking their drinks on our table.

I wanted a restful weekend this weekend and have gotten it, enjoyed the time out earlier then a few drinks at home.

Very enjoyable :)

Pred is probably having some sort of old person treatment given how bockety he is:D

cat.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=640

Stheno wrote:
    Now I'm not trying to tear the scab off old wounds, but where are Mayo in the GAA this year (not a great follower)?

Quarter finals next weekend, against Donegal. Mightn't get much further so I'd better make sure I go!

cat.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=640

That was me, every time they stopped talking I mentioned having to put up with ignorant people who intruded

They said sorry five times, but got worse.

Thankfully we left and found a nicer place, we are regulars where we were, these were just bank holiday blo ins

Quarter finals next weekend, against Donegal. Mightn't get much further so I'd better make sure I go!

Donegal are doing well enough, but I'm rooting for Mayo, how many nearlys has it been now, three?

Are they potentially facing Dublin in the semis?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote:
    Donegal are doing well enough, but I'm rooting for Mayo, how many nearlys has it been now, three?Are they potentially facing Dublin in the semis?

I've lost count at this stage, but ya Dublin face them if they get that far.

Now if ye'll excuse me I am on taxi duty and have to collect family peoples who will probably be in a bit of a state!

I've lost count at this stage, but ya Dublin face them if they get that far.

Now if ye'll excuse me I am on taxi duty and have to collect family peoples who will probably be in a bit of a state!

Enjoy, and have a great day out if you get to the match!

Best of luck to yiz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We are in New York State at the moment! What an awesome place for car spotting. Even the ****test cars are cool. We have a Dodge Caravan on rental, it's actually fairly tricked out for a soccer mom type car and reasonably slow for a 3.6 v6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

dgt closed his account? Bad buzz to wake up to. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Big Nasty wrote: »
    dgt closed his account? Bad buzz to wake up to. :(

Just catching up now on this thread after being out last night.I don't post much here but I always read his posts. An extremely knowledgeable and interesting poster and a shame he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

We must be the only 3 saddos not out :pac:

Going out this weekend was some write off for me working Friday Saturday Sunday. Was supposed to go out last night but by the time I got home and got diner and a shower it was after 9 sat down went on here and I was a sleep before 11. I feel now that everything has crept up on me so many assignments to do. I'm going doing one now. I need to update my cv and prepare for a first round interview aptitude test.

Not much time for doing any car stuff here :(

Going out on a bit of a trip for a few hours this afternoon with some friends so that will give me a bit of a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Just catching up now on this thread after being out last night.I don't post much here but I always read his posts. An extremely knowledgeable and interesting poster and a shame he is gone.

Yeah, it had gotten to the point where I actually looked forward to his posts. A deceptively clever youngfella and a Renaissance Motorist. Sayonara, dgt-san. Come back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

DGT was one poster who's knowledge and wit in real life as well as on here blew me away!
    Pity his posts are gone from here, for the time being.

But it is a massive problem, you attempt to contribute you get slapped back by posters.

I lurk a lot keep the mouth shut!!
    We've being loosing a lot of good posters around here lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

There are still plenty of helpful people on here, god knows plenty of people were patient with me with my weird accelerator problem on the Honda :) There were a few who took the piss, but mostly in a nice way :)

And in fairness to the mods, anytime I report stuff, they deal with it. I've also seen them deal with loutish behaviour without prompting. I can think of about three users at the minute that are within the boundaries of appropriate behaviour, I imagine the mods are just waiting for them to step out of line to deal with them

It's cyclical, tends to be worse in summer, so this too shall pass :)

yeah, its such a shame some forummers are upsetting others :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Personally I think motors was far worse 5 years ago. Every week there was another thread along the lines of "petrol is too cheap, we need more speed traps, there's too much parking spaces available, all motorists are evil" and don't even get me started on slow driver threads and the like. People getting banned and threads closed was a daily occurance. And that was before the subject turned to cyclists.
    When you see the above threads now, they don't get half as heated.
    But such are the perils of the internet, unfortunately everyone's allowed on it. :p
    I mean they let me on it.
    Hope dgt is back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Personally I think motors was far worse 5 years ago. Every week there was another thread along the lines of "petrol is too cheap, we need more speed traps, there's too much parking spaces available, all motorists are evil" and don't even get me started on slow driver threads and the like. People getting banned and threads closed was a daily occurance. And that was before the subject turned to cyclists.
    When you see the above threads now, they don't get half as heated.
    But such are the perils of the internet, unfortunately everyone's allowed on it. :p
    I mean they let me on it.
    Hope dgt is back soon.

I miss the good old days of Usenet groups without spammers before the Eternal Septembe, 2400bps modems. The internet had more of a 'cosy elite club' feel about it in them days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

DGT's gone? :eek:

Sad news. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Was at wedding Thursday and I parked in church yard as was driving bridesmaids and some old clown of a wan decides to use the car as a chair. I was going to go over tell her to move but didn't want to make a scene. Some people are clowns and have 0 cop on. No damage but not the point. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I would of went over, pulling inconsiderate people up on things like that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I was very close alright and if ever happens again will tell them to move!

Gavman84 wrote: »
    I was very close alright and if ever happens again will tell them to move!

Were they sitting in the bonnet type of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GvidoR wrote: »
    There is a 24/7 filling station in Carrick where you put in cash or card, select how much you want to put in the car and it stops right at that amount.
    Where's that, hardly the Statoil on the Dublin road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

probably thought the paint was so clean they wouldn't wreck their clothes. be handy to have a panic button on the keys like they all do in america just a quick go of the alarm to get them off

could be the new one built just on the way past the mini roundabout opposite the gaa?

Were they sitting in the bonnet type of thing?
    Kind of sitting on top of the wing bit of bonnet.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Kind of sitting on top of the wing bit of bonnet.

That drives me mental

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

probably thought the paint was so clean they wouldn't wreck their clothes. be handy to have a panic button on the keys like they all do in america just a quick go of the alarm to get them off

I remember when the alarms that were installed on to my parents cars years ago had that feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

could be the new one built just on the way past the mini roundabout opposite the gaa?
    Didn't even know that existed, down by Tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Speaking of alarms, found out how sensitive mine is, if you have the windows down but the car locked, even something like someone playing loud music next to it sets it off :pac:

Didn't even know that existed, down by Tesco?
    I think I'm just mixed up not really sure had a look there on google maps and can't find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think I'm just mixed up not really sure had a look there on google maps and can't find it

Could have been built after google maps took the images. They did say it is a the new garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

There is no Statoil in Carrick (on Shannon). I can't remember what's the name of it, but it's on the N4 as you're leaving the town towards Sligo.

It's the place which was flooded at one point and where the car boot sale is every Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So I've a set of 4 spark plugs, ngk bcpr6es, for anyone who wants them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Ah the little red button.

My car has one :)

GvidoR wrote: »
    There is no Statoil in Carrick (on Shannon). I can't remember what's the name of it, but it's on the N4 as you're leaving the town towards Sligo.

It's the place which was flooded at one point and where the car boot sale is every Sunday.

haha **** it there's me looking in carrick on suir like an idiot

• Advertisement

Driving on the N7 today and I started hearing bangs every so often like a gun shooting at the car or a rock hitting the underside of the car. I was really confused and pulled in. Looked under the car, everything looks fine. I check the all the springs, yep still intact. So I set off again.

Drove for a few hundred metres and I hear it again, but this time I felt the back of the car going down like the handbrake was yanked for a moment and then I realised - right side drum brake is catching on something and locking the wheel momentarily.

Drove the car home, put the arse up in the air, took the drums off and I found a bit of metal loose inside one of the drums. I have no idea where it came from. Slight damage to one of the brake shoe friction surfaces but it's just a spot less than the size of a 1 cent coin.

Compared both sides of the car and I couldn't find where the metal bit came from. Both sides were exactly the same and both brakes were working perfectly. I put the handbrake on a slight bit and both sides turned with similar enough difficulty. I put the handbrake on fully and couldn't spin either side with my hands. Tried the same by holding the brake pedal down - same thing, brakes working perfectly.

Anyone know what this bit is?

swfHzjK.jpg?1
    T6fQh7q.jpg?1
    tfnMmoa.jpg?1

I am thankful that the wheel didn't lock up as it could have been lethal :(

It looks like something that sheared off

Any chance it was road debris that you picked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How are the handbrake cables? my thinking is that looks like an adjuster for it well the other half of one. Did you have a look at the other side?

It looks like something that sheared off

Any chance it was road debris that you picked up?

I don't think it sheared off. It was getting stuck between the drum and the brake shoe which is why it felt like the handbrake was applied. That obviously damaged the part quite a lot.

I'm not sure how something big like that could get into the drum though.
    Hal1 wrote: »
    How are the handbrake cables? my thinking is that looks like an adjuster for it well the other half of one. Did you have a look at the other side?

Everything I could see in the drum was fine. I looked at both sides and they looked identical :confused:

Can you get an exploaded diagram of the hub assembley. It would help in identifying the part and problem. What car do you drive?

Can you get an exploaded diagram of the hub assembley. It would help in identifying the part and problem. What car do you drive?

I was looking at a diagram on http://toyotapartscatalog.com/ but I couldn't see anything like it.

It's a 1999 Toyota Yaris 1.0.

• Advertisement

Are the handbrake cable mounts that secure it under the car intact? That would worry me and I wouldn't feel safe driving until I found out what it was.

I found this pic whilst doing a quick search. Since you have checked the hub assembly already.

Step32.jpg

Are the handbrake cable mounts that secure it under the car intact? That would worry me and I wouldn't feel safe driving until I found out what it was.

I found this pic whilst doing a quick search. Since you have checked the hub assembly already.

Yeah everything is secure. It doesn't even look like a bit that would be near the handbrake cable mounts and it was inside the drum itself.

I'm really confused :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

That's the non threaded side of an adjuster, the fork area is pushed away from the adjuster so that the shoes are adjusted correctly.
    It would be in contact with the shoe at the top or bottom.

Equivalent to this pic, sorry I'm on the phone at the minute. . .

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll285/DrgnWagnSteve/16-installtensioner.jpg

YbFocus wrote: »
    That's the non threaded side of an adjuster, the fork area is pushed away from the adjuster so that the shoes are adjusted correctly.
    It would be in contact with the shoe at the top or bottom.

Equivalent to this pic, sorry I'm on the phone at the minute. . .

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll285/DrgnWagnSteve/16-installtensioner.jpg

Could be but it doesn't look like it would fit on the type of adjuster that's on my car. Nothing similar with a part like that.

I will probably have to rip the whole drum apart to find it :pac:

EDIT: It's off the brake cylinder inside the drum, feck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ok a quick question if you scrap a car (scrappage allowance) for a new car can the garage resell the car??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement