Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

My cars are filthy, I have hundreds worth of cleaning products, but no working power washer, balls to that.

You may hit topaz or the like and use one of the self service power washers although the bloody timers on them can be short. I'll admit that the last time I got my car washed about 2 weeks ago I just paid to get it done. It's the first time I let someone wash one of my cars I'd say ever not sure if that's a bad thing or not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

CIP4 wrote:
    You may hit topaz or the like and use one of the self service power washers although the bloody timers on them can be short. I'll admit that the last time I got my car washed about 2 weeks ago I just paid to get it done. It's the first time I let someone wash one of my cars I'd say ever not sure if that's a bad thing or not

Yar, suppose I'll have to get it done somewhere, until I see what I'm going to do with my own. At 6 yoyo though, I won't be getting it done much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CIP4 wrote: »
    You may hit topaz or the like and use one of the self service power washers although the bloody timers on them can be short. I'll admit that the last time I got my car washed about 2 weeks ago I just paid to get it done. It's the first time I let someone wash one of my cars I'd say ever not sure if that's a bad thing or not :pac:

Saw a lad in limerick washing cars on Friday. Attacking the car with a long handle brush thing like it had insulted his mother....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My cars are filthy, I have hundreds worth of cleaning products, but no working power washer, balls to that.

Much prefer using the self service at a garage. Less hassle, but been meaning to put in a garden tap for ages now for the grass. I could use it for the power washer

Yar, suppose I'll have to get it done somewhere, until I see what I'm going to do with my own. At 6 yoyo though, I won't be getting it done much!

I spent 7 euro getting mine done but 2 lads spent 20 minutes doing it properly cleaned alloys, body with microfibres, dried, sprayed on some shiny stuff on the alloys and a kind of spray on wax stuff. Sure for 7 quid you can't really go too wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If it was me I would spray on some GPC and let it dwell, rinse (repeat?), then 2bm time and rinse after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The oh has been using my car today as his needed to be jumped started.

He has the most irritating habit of allowing the fuel to run down to the warning light, and parking it up, so I go out to use the car and discover it's on fumes :(

Stheno wrote: »

He has the most irritating habit of allowing the fuel to run down to the warning light, and parking it up, so I go out to use the car and discover it's on fumes :(

My mum just won't buy fuel full stop. It's not even that she doesn't want to pay for it she just doesn't like the effort of having to get it or the smell of it or in case she gets her hands dirty. So it always down to me or dad to get it for her. We have her spoiled :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Rear drum brake fixed!

I took the drum off again and indeed it was the wheel cylinder that had lost one of the pins that push against the brake shoe. I pushed the brake shoes to one side and removed the rubber boot on the wheel cylinder. The pin popped right back into the cylinder but as I did that brake fluid started coming out of it.

Readjusted the brake shoes, bled the brakes, everything is super now. I think the shoes were just badly adjusted leaving a gap for the pins to fall out. Everything is working fine now and the best part is it cost €0.00!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Pov06 wrote: »
    Rear drum brake fixed!

I took the drum off again and indeed it was the wheel cylinder that had lost one of the pins that push against the brake shoe. I pushed the brake shoes to one side and removed the rubber boot on the wheel cylinder. The pin popped right back into the cylinder but as I did that brake fluid started coming out of it.

Readjusted the brake shoes, bled the brakes, everything is super now. I think the shoes were just badly adjusted leaving a gap for the pins to fall out. Everything is working fine now and the best part is it cost €0.00!

Was it not pretty beat up man?
    It will probably destroy the cylinder pretty quick imo.
    Just watch for a slow drop in fluid.

It may be fine but I'd be cautious of it :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Was it not pretty beat up man?
    It will probably destroy the cylinder pretty quick imo.
    Just watch for a slow drop in fluid.

It may be fine but I'd be cautious of it :)

Actually it didn't look too bad compared to the on the other side.

The cylinder started leaking because the piston naturally started sliding out once there was nothing (brake shoe) applying pressure on it. Once I pushed the piston back into the cylinder it didn't leak no more.

Took it for a decent drive and it was fine.

I suppose I was lucky to find the bit in the centre of the drum instead of stuck between the shoe and the drum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Errr are you not supposed to replace contaminated brake shoes and clean the drum if the fluid has leaked......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Stheno wrote: »

Is he the woman in the relationship because any woman I know always does that?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Errr are you not supposed to replace contaminated brake shoes and clean the drum if the fluid has leaked......

The amount of fluid that leaked out wouldn't contaminate anything. Think about it - the drum was off so there's no brake fluid on the drum. The shoes are to both sides of the cylinder so when it leaks the fluid runs straight down onto the ground :)

It would be a different story if the cylinder seals were ruined and it was leaking whilst driving... This wasn't the case as it only leaked when I took it apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Is he the woman in the relationship because any woman I know always does that?

Behave :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Autosport wrote: »
    Behave :P

He does have driving habits you see guys on hear attributing to women fairly regularly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

He hasn't been driving in heels again has he ? :(

He hasn't been driving in heels again has he ? :(

Nah not today, he reserves that for the weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

http://www.adverts.ie/commercial-4-x-4-s/nice-clean-jeep-onily-got-it-put-cant-get-insurance/8315289

Adverts is comical. "@scubas if it's gets nct I wood do something need few bob with it my jeep it getting new beaks and dicks on it" :pac::pac::pac:

I dunno if I'd like a jeep with new beaks and dicks on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No wonder they can't build a decent diesel if they're arsing around on skateboards listening to Rudimental on their Mark Levinson headphones

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No wonder they can't build a decent diesel if they're arsing around on skateboards listening to Rudimental on their Mark Levinson headphones

Ah stop, you'll all have this thread invaded soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »

They don't need jeeps. Where they're going, they don't even need roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Can gardai have any cars as unmarked yokes? I know the common ones are focus', mondeos and recently white i30 estates. Distinguishable by the lights on the side of the bumpers.

Lately however I've seen Gardai in an unmarked landcruiser. 1999 reg lwb, light blue, but all tinted out windows, drivers too - fully black, illegal to joe soap I'd say.

Very well disguised, seeing as late 90s landcruisers are owned by the majority of farmers out in the sticks.

Can gardai have any cars as unmarked yokes? I know the common ones are focus', mondeos and recently white i30 estates. Distinguishable by the lights on the side of the bumpers.

Lately however I've seen Gardai in an unmarked landcruiser. 1999 reg lwb, light blue, but all tinted out windows, drivers too - fully black, illegal to joe soap I'd say.

Very well disguised, seeing as late 90s landcruisers are owned by the majority of farmers out in the sticks.

They used have a couple of bmws as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yup, theres apparently a heap of random stuff. I've heard tales theres even an Evo in the mix, or at least there was.

In Limerick they do drive a white, beat up Citroen Berlingo and not a new one, this is like an early 00's.
    Saw it fly up the Dock Road with blues and twos some years ago. Don't know if it's still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They've an old light blue forester that's on the M50 and M4 often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

They can be in anything, I've seen them in 5 series, 407s, Connects, Berlingos and Octavias. Last year i seen them on a few occasions in a 98 Camry. Also seen them in cars that aren't even D reg's. The typical mondeos and focus are still about but there are a lot of new Hyundais and mk3 Focus's on the roads lately that are very hard to spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Yup, theres apparently a heap of random stuff. I've heard tales theres even an Evo in the mix, or at least there was.

Could be just pub talk I heard but apparently they used the Evo solely for the M1 so catch people heading for the boarder. Also heard that back in the early 90s they had Sapphire Cosworths in Dublin but they where short lived as they were too powerful for the guards to handle. Again that's probably a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Je suis tres mal

They can be in anything, I've seen them in 5 series, 407s, Connects, Berlingos and Octavias. Last year i seen them on a few occasions in a 98 Camry. Also seen them in cars that aren't even D reg's. The typical mondeos and focus are still about but there are a lot of new Hyundais and mk3 Focus's on the roads lately that are very hard to spot.

There's a camry around dunshaughlin a lot.
    Didnt that girl get pulled in by a camry, the one that was done for having a welded rear diff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Could be just pub talk I heard but apparently they used the Evo solely for the M1 so catch people heading for the boarder. Also heard that back in the early 90s they had Sapphire Cosworths in Dublin but they where short lived as they were too powerful for the guards to handle. Again that's probably a load of bollocks.

Don't know about the Evo but the Cosworth spey is true.
    They broke them all up in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

sometimes the garda sense just starts to tingle, usually when that dirty d reg car with 2 lads in the front is actually using indicators and following the rules of the road

I've seen a guy in a tracksuit driving a 98 Corolla at the quays. Next I hear sirens and I see flashing lights on the Corolla.

Must be some kind of drug squad.

I'd be vary of any newish Hyundai behind me. There's a few that are used as undercover cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd say the trick with that level of undercover is just to not do something so bad that they'll waste their undercoverness on stopping you

Generally they won't blow their cover to stop you unless it's justified.

BMW 5 series and Audi A6s are in use around Dublin.

And the Landcruiser Noccy described does too, well in Cork anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

2003ish Citroen C6 around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I've seen the blue Forester in Cork twice. Flew past me like a rocket both times.

• Advertisement

Have seen a blue/ purpleish Forester in Dublin too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

The amount of fluid that leaked out wouldn't contaminate anything. Think about it - the drum was off so there's no brake fluid on the drum. The shoes are to both sides of the cylinder so when it leaks the fluid runs straight down onto the ground :)

It would be a different story if the cylinder seals were ruined and it was leaking whilst driving... This wasn't the case as it only leaked when I took it apart.
    That makes sense, sorry I thought you were driving it.

The 90's Camry will have to go once the insurance is up and no one will touch it anymore.
    What kind of loading would "undercover garda vehicle used in pursuits" buy you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got my 08-16 insurance disc. Turns out my insurer for this year is Axa, not Asgard. Weird, because Axa directly quoted me €800 more.

GvidoR wrote: »
    Got my 08-16 insurance disc. Turns out my insurer for this year is Axa, not Asgard. Weird, because Axa directly quoted me €800 more.

Broker quotes are usually completely different when you go directly, no surprise there.

Broker quotes are usually completely different when you go directly, no surprise there.

Often there are times when direct insurance won't quote but they will through brokers.
    The mind boggles so it does.

• Advertisement

Often there are times when direct insurance won't quote but they will through brokers.
    The mind boggles so it does.

Yeah because generally they don't have strict criteria like the company itself.

Allianz wouldn't quote be a few years back because my car was too old (this was said to be my the operator on the phone).

I got a quote from Allianz through First Ireland a year later :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Speaking of unmarked cars, the most odd ones I've seen (all in Dublin):

- 2007 Volvo S60 T5 (Black)
    - 2008 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Black)
    - 2008 BMW X5 3.0sd (Black)
    - 2005 BMW E90 330i (Silver)
    - 2005 Subaru Forester (Dark Blue)
    - 2002 Audi A4 (Black)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Sobanek wrote: »
    Speaking of unmarked cars, the most odd ones I've seen (all in Dublin):

- 2007 Volvo S60 T5 (Black)
    - 2008 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Black)
    - 2008 BMW X5 3.0sd (Black)
    - 2005 BMW E90 330i (Silver)
    - 2005 Subaru Forester (Dark Blue)
    - 2002 Audi A4 (Black)

There also used to be an old mk2 Gold Punto from Mountjoy.

Yup I saw that driving around phibsboro back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

morritty wrote: »
    There also used to be an old mk2 Gold Punto from Mountjoy.
    ...Gvidor? :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement