Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Defence Force Reserves

• 10-03-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have an interest in joining the army reserves, just wondering what it entails and how you go about joining the reserves?

Also, would it benefit you in any way when they start recruiting again? I'm 24 (coming 25 in September) it says on their website that the age limit is 25 for joining. If I join the reserves now then will that mean I can still join when they start recruiting?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

JohnBhoy10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an interest in joining the army reserves, just wondering what it entails and how you go about joining the reserves?

Also, would it benefit you in any way when they start recruiting again? I'm 24 (coming 25 in September) it says on their website that the age limit is 25 for joining. If I join the reserves now then will that mean I can still join when they start recruiting?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The DF website has information on what training in the RDF involves - there are also loads of threads concerning it on this Boards site. You basically have to wait until their next recruitment drive, which will likely be later this year (but no idea about the date).

An RDF member is awarded some extra points at interview to join the PDF (15, I think, but open to correction). However, if you're not 25 by close of application date for the PDF recruitment, then that's that whether or not you're in the RDF.

You can also apply to become a cadet (the route to officer) in the army until you're 28. Probably need a degree in something to do this though so that depends on your own situation.

You can also join as a Naval Service recruit up until 27 (28 to become an officer). They are currently accepting applications for naval recruits right now (until 27th of March) so apply soon if you think you might find 'life on the seas' as interesting as on land. ;)

Air Corps is similar: Officer cadet up until 28, but recruits not taken from 25 years on.

All the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Raider32

Hi all i have a Similar Question to Joining the RDF although my Circumstances are a bit Different as im Ex FCA/RDF,

Way back in 2003 i Joined the FCA as it was called back then, i served just under 9 years, but due to huge Unemployment in Ireland i decided like many Irish at the time to seek work in Australia, after some years away from home ive returned to Dublin and as the recession is over and where all starting to get work for the most part, ive been thinking to Returning to Volunteering and considering Returning to the RDF,

When the Recession started the DF cut its Reserve numbers down to almost nothing recruitment was stopped Pay and Promotions in both RDF/PDF where for pay was Cut and promotions where frozen for a time which pissed me off as i was Preparing for my POTS to discover no training or promotions where going ahead for some years,

My Questions is to all...

is this back to Normal & is this Possible? for an Ex reservist to Rejoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Did you discharge yourself prior to leaving Ireland?

If not, were you placed on the "non effective" list by your Brigade?

Hi Yes i Received my Discharge Cert about a Month before i Left, it Stats Termination of Engagement on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Raider32 wrote: »
    Hi Yes i Received my Discharge Cert about a Month before i Left, it Stats Termination of Engagement on it

As long as you left voluntarily and had a clean record, you can re apply and join again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I think if you wish to rejoin within 3 years you keep your rank but anytime after that your gotta go through recruit training again (open to clarificaton on this)

Thanks all yeah i left Voluntarily and yes ive a clean Record i would not mind doing recruit training all over again to bring me up to Standards

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Just contact the Coy you were in previously and let them sort it out, they'll tell you if you need to go through recruit training again or can resume where you left off.

My Unit was Disbanded 24 Infantry B Coy

Advertisement