Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do when hit by a vehicle

• 10-03-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was hit by a van earlier this evening (he was turning left and didn't indicate)..I'm grand but there's a wee bit of damage to the bike but nothing too major. The thing is I wasn't sure if anything could be done if there was serious damage to me or my bike? I took his name and number (well a name and a number... I forgot to ring it in front of him) as well as photos of his insurance disc and reg but I did this more to get him thinking about indicating in future and put the **** up him a bit... serves him right I think. He did offer to replace any parts if I brought it to a shop tomorrow but I don't think it'll come to that

Anyway, what's the "proper" procedure (if any) if you get hit by a vehicle? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

I take it you didnt phone the Guards. If not then you should have as that's rule number 1. Similar accident for me 12 months ago and I insisted in calling them although me and my bike were fine, except for a lot of torn winter wear. Driver coughed up to pay for replacement garments, possibly because he knew the guards had all the details of what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Yeah. As above. Minor incident years ago and I left the guy off. Discovered the steel forks were twisted next day and from wheel buckled. Bike effectively written off

Best make a report anyway. Will take 15 Mins. Never know what you discover or I juries develop layer on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm not sure how it works motorist on cyclist but the guards won't attend motorist on motorist without injuries.

I think you pretty much had it nailed in what you did.

If they will attend by all means call them.

Glad to hear you're not seriously hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

flat-550x550-075-f-u2-first-look-at-better-call-saul-no-half-measures.jpeg

(of course I jest. Glad you are OK op)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Call the guards in any case. If they ask you to make a statement then make it. The drivers insurance will have to cover your equipment costs and any compensation for injuries plus medical costs if any arise.

If damage is minor and you have no injuries then the driver might opt to cover your expenses in order to keep the no claims bonus on the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not sure how it works motorist on cyclist but the guards won't attend motorist on motorist without injuries.
    Really? I regularly see them attending nothing more than fender benders between cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Really? I regularly see them attending nothing more than fender benders between cars.

I'm only going on other boardies reports in motors to be fair. Perhaps there was reports of injuries.

No harm in making the call and as I say I was referring to motorist on motorist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Macy0161 wrote: »

Its not that they wont attend but rather you arent on their list of priorities unless there is an injury

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My friend got hit by a car a couple years ago, she waited for the police to come, took ages. However it was worth it as they took statements and the drivers insurance would have to pay for anything. Don't just assume you are ok, she got the price of a new bike but the real damage, delayed sore body was only felt later.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be clear, if there is an injury involving a motor vehicle the accident must be reported to the Guards. Whether they actually turn up or not is a different matter. They showed no interest whatsoever when I attempted to report a serious accident not involving a motor vehicle a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

saraceno wrote: »
    Anyway, what's the "proper" procedure (if any) if you get hit by a vehicle? Thanks

He holds a Civil liability to any loss and or injury sustained to you and or your person as a result of his negligence. His insurer take charge of this.

Long and the short of it, if your bike is damaged, call his Insurer, claim from them and if it's reasonable enough, he can pay them back their outlay and they will treat his claim as if it never existed.

You could potentially go with him directly but in my experience, people can get arsey when you land the bill on the table and frankly, as an innocent party, I have very little time for arguing for what's rightfully mine and was perfectly functioning before they hit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I wouldn't call the guards unless someone is injured But I would report it to your local Garda Station. No harm to have it recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭ted1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I wouldn't call the guards unless someone is injured But I would report it to your local Garda Station. No harm to have it recorded.
    Some injuries particularly back injuries fint show up till the following day.
    After your hit you can go I to shock and have elevated levels of adrenaline which can also mask injuries.

I would treat each incident on a case by case basis. If I was thrown or landed hard I would get a record of it by calling the police, if it was as a result if bad driving I would Mae sure he is charged. More so to protect other cyclist that vine across his path.

If it's a little tap as I stay in the bike I would give a very disgruntled look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I got ran over proper. Up and over the bonnet, at 30mph she drove off and I chased her down like a mad man full of adrenaline, caught her up at lights and she panicked drove straight in to two cars in front. She got 6 months suspended sentence for hit & run and I had a broken rib and a lifetime of ruined cycling I havnt been on the road at all in the last 8 years (all MTB now). My chest didn't hurt until I caught her & I collapsed on the road when I came to a man told me he nearly ran over me.

I could have sued, but didn't. I should have as she was scum. The police caught her on camera. She had no insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The Gardaí will turn up to every collision eventually but will only investigate the collision if there is an obvious offence disclosed or if there is somebody injured.

For non injury collisions they will just make sure all motorists have all their documents in order.

Insurance companies insist on all incidents being reported to the Gardaí before they will do anything.

Advertisement