Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning and maintaining open drains on farm

Options
  • 10-03-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    Is there any time limitations to the cleaning out of open drains on agricultural land? the drains are approximately 4 ft-12 ft wide and 6 ft - 10 ft deep.
    I know you are restricted to maintaining hedgerows from 1st March till 31st August. I'm just wondering if the same time limit applies.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Don't think so. Usually they're done in summer months when ground is dry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Recommended time is mid May to mid August, during the winter small animals/fish eggs etc. are attached to gravel and stones.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

ziggerd wrote: »
    Hi
    Is there any time limitations to the cleaning out of open drains on agricultural land? the drains are approximately 4 ft-12 ft wide and 6 ft - 10 ft deep.
    I know you are restricted to maintaining hedgerows from 1st March till 31st August. I'm just wondering if the same time limit applies.
    Thanks

Definitions of an open drain could vary widely. We could be talking about an insignificant ditch or a major Salmonid nursery. The size of either can be the exact same!
    It would be extremely important to know precisely what you're dealing with. A mistake could be costly.
    In general, instream works are not carried out during the closed season, from October 1 st to April 31 st.
    Even in the open season conditions may still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Definitions of an open drain could vary widely. We could be talking about an insignificant ditch or a major Salmonid nursery. The size of either can be the exact same!
    It would be extremely important to know precisely what you're dealing with. A mistake could be costly.
    In general, instream works are not carried out during the closed season, from October 1 st to April 31 st.
    Even in the open season conditions may still apply.

Would a nursery be obvious to the naked eye? Never seen one so just interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

just do it wrote: »
    Would a nursery be obvious to the naked eye? Never seen one so just interested

I suppose it's fairly obvious if you know what you're looking for.
    I've little doubt you've came across some lovely streams in your travels, you'd see the quality of habitat in them. But even the most innocuous of watercourses can be teeming with life. A species like Brook Lamprey with Annex 1 and 2 protection can readily be found in silty enough streams.
    So it's important to know what your goin digging before you wet a bucket!

• Advertisement
Advertisement