Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Monitor

Options
  • 10-03-2015 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, we have our six week old in a side on cot in our room and plan on keeping him there for at least six months before moving him to his own room. I do want to start thinking about a baby monitor though and I'm looking for suggestions.

I would like video and sound. I'm not picky about the sensor mats tbh. I would like decent night vision. A sturdy receiver is a given.

We are very techy (well the OH is a developer) so could probably get a good quality webcam and work with apps/computers. If anyone has done that Id love to hear from you!

Otherwise what are people using? Wha t would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We have luvion brand, currently using two cameras for toddlers. It was expensive to buy but 3 years in it has more than paid for itself. Full color camera and sound. Has a talk back function which I can use when the oldest is playing rather than napping, works very well!

It also has a lullabye setting which we used when they were babies, handy to be able to turn on music without going into the room

One of the best features for us is the temp indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Hi,
    We have a Tomy TF500. great monitor, no camera tho as we were thinking that we would be paranoid about looking at the screen the whole time and would probably still have to go into the room to check anyway. If the baby is near 6 months old they should be able to sleep without the parents looking at them every 5 mins.
    The monitor has a room temperature sensor which is more important that the baby does'nt overheat. Its sensitive enough to hear them breath, there is talk back, and parent controlled light and lullaby.

My advice, don't bother with a camera, you will know by sound alone how the baby is doing. good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

Hi,

I loved my Motorola monitor with the camera, it made life so much easier and reassured me constantly.

I bought mine in Argos and they aren't making it anymore however this is on sale and looks like it's upgrade:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9135756.htm

addob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We have the bt video baby monitor and I love it: it plays music, has a talk back function, very clear night vision, tells us the temperature: the video really comes into it's own as baby becomes a toddler too! It was worth every cent I spent on it couldn't recommend it highly enough. If you ever need to you can buy extra cameras for it too.

http://www.mothercare.ie/bt-1000-digital-video-baby-monitor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Czhornet wrote: »
    My advice, don't bother with a camera, you will know by sound alone how the baby is doing. good luck!!

I definitely don't obsess about watching my children all time, but more than often hearing a sound am trying to guess what is going on is a pain! With the video I can check quickly

One of the times it was most valuable was when my youngest at 7 months vomited in her sleep. She didn't wake and all we heard was what sounded like coughing. However, I could see that the sheet around her was wet and when I went to check, as soon as I opened her door I could smell the vomit. In this case the sound only wouldn't have worked for us. But in the end it's a personal choice and as cyning said, once you have toddlers who can get out of bed a camera is both very effective and entertaining!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

We were given this one as a present (on request)

D-Link WiFi

It's pretty good, you can even download an app to your smartphone and watch the feed remotely - doesn't come with it's own screen though, but any laptop, tablet, or smartphone is usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We have a y-cam and have it rigged up to the tv/laptop/phones.

Its not especially for baby monitoring and will make a great security camera once we finish with watching the babies sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

We got a Dropcam by Nest, not specifically a baby monitor but a camera with sound, nightvision, speakers (so you can talk via it). It connects via wifi. We have apps on our phones for it, can turn it on, watch the video, zoom in etc from our phones. We like it. the night vision is good. We use it mostly when we put our fella down in the evening and we are in another room. He sometimes cries a little in his sleep (breaks my heart) but he doesn't wake up and keeps on sleeping. Having the Dropcam we can see if he is sleep-crying or actually awake and crying, so we don't go in and wake him up if he is still asleep.

You can pay to have everything recorded to the cloud but we didn't bother. You can cast it to a tv if you have Chromecast, baby on the big screen!

I opted not to get a mat-sensor thing as I felt I' be driven demented by it. I'm bad enough as it is with zooming in on the dropcam to make sure he's still breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thinking of getting a video monitor for our new arrival. Looking on amazon but cant decide between Tomy TFV600 or Motorola MBP26, would like one wit a room temperature gauge on it. Any advice?Budget is around €100.

Advertisement