Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing Read-Only from folders Win8.1

• 10-03-2015 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I'm at a cul de sac on this one. After doing a clean install onto my C: partition all my folders across a second partition on the SSD, two more internal drives and an external drive are now read-only, contents files/pics everything else is fine, just the folders. Newly installed items are fine but nothing seems to be able to update. In particular Steam and... another program that incrementally adds to a folder :rolleyes: are throwing up access is denied messages.

Already took control of the folders but neither using attrib -R in command prompt or the right click -> properties radio button seems to have a permanent effect.

Permissions are set to "all" across every usergroup and I've logged in from both winlive and local administrator accounts all with the same results.

Any help would be very welcome. I've had a good look around online but nothing seems to be coming up other than the two above routes.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Had something similar happen ages ago, but as is unfortunately all too usual with obscure Windows problems, I can't remember anything other than this sounds familiar.

Take a look at this, it's ringing a bell for me, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Basically, the fact that the username was the same over the two installs was confusing Windows. Again, not sure if that's useful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Nope, well, might be, who bloody knows with windows!

In the end, managed to get things working by making the .exe of the affected programs run in administrator mode via the properties->security settings.

Not sure why that should have made a damned difference since at this stage every usergroup has full admin privs anyway. :rolleyes:

Cheers for the suggestion though!

Advertisement