Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Plantation

Options
  • 10-03-2015 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Morning All,

Could anyone tell me, roughly, what 6 acres of a 14 year old Oak Plantation is worth?

The plantation is going up for auction (one ot four lots) and I'd like to bid but I want to get a better idea of it's real value first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Rough ballpark is it's only worth whatever forestry premiums are left on it, give or take €1000, depending on location. If it's beside you, then perhaps a little more. I think there would only be 6 years of premium left on it. It will be a long time before it's clear-felled.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Irish Traveling

Thanks for your reply blue5000.

So what would you think is a reasonable price to pay to purchase the land and plantation, as it is, at auction?

Thanks.

D.

Without seeing it it's hard, any road frontage? How easy would it be to get trees out of it? Is it wet?
    Might be worthwhile to get a forester to look at it. My guess is 2k an acre with good access, 1500 with poor access. Don't forget it's going to be another 100 years before your grand children get the benefit. Old man around here says 'If you hate your relations, plant your land with trees'.

I appreciate it is hard to give a price with out seeing it.

It has good access, just off a motorway with new/resurfaced local roads. Two sides of the plantation have access from the road.

Not particularly wet but it is well drained.

Either way it sounds like it's not going to be in high demand given the return?

Thanks again for your reply.

D.

If it has that much road frontage it might be suitable for a site or two.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think so given it's proximity to the motorway and the land elevation etc..

Advertisement