Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sister's old scope (25 yrs~)

Options
  • 10-03-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I've developed a renewed interest in the night sky lately using those star gazing apps. I remembered that my sister won a telescope on the den about 20 odd years ago and low and behold it was still up in my parents attic when I asked them. Gave the optics a wipe with some IPA and made some legs for it last night, pointed it at Jupiter and was shocked to be able to identify the dark bands across it.

I even saw some bright spots beside it and a work colleague reckons that I was looking at its moons (possible?).

Anyway. Is there any recommendations for improving the experience. Is there any thing I can get to improve the detail when looking at planets. Eye pieces maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mashtun wrote: »
    I even saw some bright spots beside it and a work colleague reckons that I was looking at its moons (possible?).

Definitely possible. The Galilean moons are easily visible even with a set of 10x50 binoculars. Pretty cool that you were also able to see dark bands! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Definitely possible. The Galilean moons are easily visible even with a set of 10x50 binoculars. Pretty cool that you were also able to see dark bands! :)

I think thats what I was seeing. Kept looking away and back again and they wouldn't go away. I'll check again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mashtun wrote: »
    I think thats what I was seeing. Kept looking away and back again and they wouldn't go away. I'll check again tonight

There's plenty of apps and websites which will show you the location of the Galilean Moons now or at any time in the past, here's one...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html

coylemj wrote: »
    There's plenty of apps and websites which will show you the location of the Galilean Moons now or at any time in the past, here's one...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html

Any tips for getting more from the scope. I'd love to be able to see a bit more detail on Jupiter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You'd need to give us more details such as brand, aperture etc... tbh I'm also surprised you can see the bands of Jupiter through a den scope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I'd love to know what scope it is too.

Sounds like you had a good night with it :)

Kersh wrote: »
    I'd love to know what scope it is too.

Sounds like you had a good night with it :)

I dunno if the full image is visible but that's the scope. No brand on it. I'll send a picture of the label later. If I set my digital camera to macro could I possibly get more detail? I saw the sky at night (BBC) a few months ago and people were getting nice shots of the moon from the eye piece with their phones!

Advertisement