Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Ficus so temperamental?

• 10-03-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I've a higher mortality rate with Ficus than with any other houseplant. But my cheapest method for acquiring houseplants is not very Ficus-favourable:
    Often I buy a pot of commercial planting like the sort that are ribbon-ed-up for Mother's Day etc; and when you look, they are just clumps of small plants roughly potted up in very light mixture - basically, they are meant to last just until Valentine's etc and not much longer.

Usually I separate the little plants and pot them up decently; and this method suits most of the little rascals: they heave a sigh of relief and start to grow like they should :-)

But Ficus hates me no matter how carefully handled. I've read the books, I know the rules: I tiptoe round the roots and I don't over-water, etc etc

But still they mope and droop and die.

Anybody know why? Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

katemarch wrote: »
    I've a higher mortality rate with Ficus than with any other houseplant. But my cheapest method for acquiring houseplants is not very Ficus-favourable:
    Often I buy a pot of commercial planting like the sort that are ribbon-ed-up for Mother's Day etc; and when you look, they are just clumps of small plants roughly potted up in very light mixture - basically, they are meant to last just until Valentine's etc and not much longer.

Usually I separate the little plants and pot them up decently; and this method suits most of the little rascals: they heave a sigh of relief and start to grow like they should :-)

But Ficus hates me no matter how carefully handled. I've read the books, I know the rules: I tiptoe round the roots and I don't over-water, etc etc

But still they mope and droop and die.

Anybody know why? Ideas?

Weeping Figs are notoriously difficult to please. The main issue you haven't mentioned is temperature. They hate change so you are better off buying a smallish plant from a reputable retailer who knows that these plants need a lot of tlc and can't be left flapping in the wind on the top of a trolley just arrived from Holland!

Then transport it home out of draughts and find somewhere out of chills or temperature changes. Don't repot until necessary and it should behave, although it might lose a few leaves at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@lk67 thank you --
    You've a good point there: they may just be suffering from their treatment on the way to Weedies - and even while there: often soaking wet or wasting in drought.
    Mine are nursed along in baby-incubator conditions but maybe they are too traumatised by their past life to survive.

LOL - a proper plant will do better, of course: but I never can resist Death Row! Love rescuing plants from the very doors of death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Temperature and they are very temperament plants, they even hate being moved in the same house!!!!

Advertisement