Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ori and the blind forest

Options
  • 10-03-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread but this hits tomorrow. It's been on my radar since e3 cause it looked like a what if Don Bluth worked for studio ghibli

The reviews started coming in today and not only is it pretty but also supposably a pretty damn good metroidvania so will give it a pick up tomorrow to see if it delivers

Steam don't seem to have it on pre-purchase oddly

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember it looking really nice at e3, and than completely forgetting about it till this morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

So excited for this game. I didn't want to start anything new till I finished a few more games I'd started awhile back, but an exception is made for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Reviews very positive so far:

GameInformer: 9.5/10
    Gamespot:9/10
    IGN:8.5
    US Gamer:4/5
    GameSided:9/10
    Venture Beat: 95/100
    GamesRadar:4/5
    DigiChumps:7/10
    Tiwnfinite:5/5
    Polygon:9/10
    Destructoid:9.5/10
    Shacknews:9/10

from GI Review:
    Concept:
    A “Metroidvania” game that focuses on story and art as much as platforming and challenge

Graphics:
    Equally haunting and beautiful, and both simple and detailed, the environments are uniquely mesmerizing

Sound:
    A wonderful orchestrated score melds with the action, adding tension to sequences and heart to the story

Playability:
    Pitch-perfect controls are put to good use in platforming challenges that demand precision. The adventure gets better as Ori unlocks new abilities

Entertainment:
    Nothing short of a work of art

Can't wait to get my hands on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Slightly worried they've delayed the pc version cause you can't pre purchase it on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Still says that tomorrow is the release date on their steam page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570

Delighted that it will have a ~€20 pricetag too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mr E wrote: »
    Still says that tomorrow is the release date on their steam page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570

Delighted that it will have a ~€20 pricetag too.

Really? It is starting at €60 for PS4 and XO. What gives...

It's €20 for XO/360 (and it's an exclusive so not on PS4)

maximoose wrote: »
    It's €20 for XO/360 (and it's an exclusive so not on PS4)

Thanks, odd, I remember seeing it on the Smyths website for 59.99. It is now gone from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

delighted to hear that its a good un, must cue up the download while I tackle some GTA heists tonight.

There is a timer on the steam page now - 1 day 4 hours until it is unlocked (so that's 11pm-12am tomorrow, depending on how the 4 hours rounds out).

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    There is a timer on the steam page now - 1 day 4 hours until it is unlocked (so that's 11pm-12am tomorrow, depending on how the 4 hours rounds out).

says it opens in 3 hours for me...

STILL CANT BUY IT THOUGH!!!

Yep you're right - it changed.

Available: 10 March
    This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour

BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2D platformers are back (again) so?

i dont think metroidvania games ever died off.

They just dont make enough of them. But they're usually really good when they do, even with crap/dull premises (Shadow complex on the 360)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gave it a go there. Seems to play really well but my PS4 controller is acting a bit weird. Some keys are doubling up and the drag button doesn't work at all. Seems to be some people with actual 360 pads having the same problem too. Will give it a go tomorrow with my fightpad and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, game seems solid, and it's mighty purty:

16lwznq.jpg

I have some old install of Vjoy messing up my controls so can't play it until I've purged it all. No luck so far

purged and got the game playing.

love it so far

but work in the morning so will stop here and re-assume tomorrow

Will pick this up tonight so! Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I rather enjoyed Elysian Tail that I downloaded off Gold membership for free last year, rather liked it and it's pretty similar to this... so I might be giving this game a try at some point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is this timed exclusive or will it ever come out on PS4? Looks amazing...

Might dust off the dual boot mac....

As far as I know it's a console exclusive

Started to install this morning before I left the house, xbox servers seem to be back to proper speeds at least after the mess last week, downloaded pretty quickly. Stupid work.

.ak wrote: »
    Is this timed exclusive or will it ever come out on PS4? Looks amazing...

Might dust off the dual boot mac....

Published by Microsoft so very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

That opening
    :(

Only played for 30 minutes but seems like it could be something special. Will give it a proper go tomorrow!

I bought this last night on the XO. It is beautiful. The sound track is amazing and fits right in with the game. Finished the first area, took my time enjoying the areas and trying to find everything I could. Going to be a great game.

Big Knox wrote: »
    That opening
    :(

Only played for 30 minutes but seems like it could be something special. Will give it a proper go tomorrow!

Yeah, I only got about 20 mins in myself but that opening! Worse than bloody Up! :pac:

Loving it so far, the animation of the scenery/background is nuts - looks amazing. The soundtrack is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Metroidvania is a perfect description for it, you can easily see their influences in this with sprinkles of the recent Rayman games.

Enjoying it so far, art design and soundtrack are great. Have to keep reminding myself to save, learnt some annoying lessons along the way :pac:

Have come across a few bugs that have locked up the game but nothing major.

I wonder was the timing of Rayman being given out free intentional to get a bit more interest in this.

Yeah saving can be a pain :D. I was caught out a number of times. And you move so far ahead, once you die you forget all the things you have found in-between deaths.

• Advertisement

It's pretty generous with them save states too, I just never use them. Modern game design has spoiled me. Need to train myself to use them more often.

Advertisement