Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ori and the blind forest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Really love the weight of the character and the feel of the movement, any game that gives wall jump this early is singing a love song to me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I think the game is elegantly executed, there is a degree of over-familiarity. It just feels like I've unlocked the double jump as an early power in a lot of Metroidvania games recently, and so can't say I'm quite as excited or surprised about the exploratory potentials it opens up when I did get it (even if it is beautifully animated).

Nonetheless, I admire that a lot of care and fine-tuning has been put into the flow of the platforming - it's a beautifully smooth and graceful game in motion (144FPS helps ;)). Derivative the design may be in many respects, but sloppy it is not. It's also consistently challenging, and full of properly branching paths and maps. I do hope the background art diversifies a bit later on, though - a lot of the locations I've visited so far definitely lack aesthetic variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just completed the Ginso Tree
    sweaty palms with that escape.

Checked out the achievements too, complete the game without dying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I love Metroidvania games so I will likely get this. 20 quid though for and arcade game. robbing feckers

rizzla wrote: »
    Just completed the Ginso Tree
    sweaty palms with that escape.

Checked out the achievements too, complete the game without dying :pac:

Holy f*ckball maracas batman!

that whole sequence is amazing. Also kept getting myself killed at the same spot.

you do tend to (in)conveniently forget you can walljump sometimes. especially with the new ability you pick up just prior to that (which I might add is awesome fun)

absolutely loving this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

This game is every thing I hoped for since seeing it at E3 last year. Love the challenging obstacles and the level design is very good.

One thing I learned the hard way was to create more soul links to save the game, although even if you do forget to save it doesn't feel like a grind at all to get back to where you died.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ginso tree was some jump in the difficulty curve :pac:

Kept dying in the one spot until I got the timing right
    the worm like guys who pop up and shoot purple balls
    , Blast is great.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What skill trees have people been upgrading? I've been kind of going for one skill from each so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What skill trees have people been upgrading? I've been kind of going for one skill from each so far.

Just being bringing them along together.I assume you'll have everything unlocked by the time the game was over?.

Although, I did think the same for Skyrim until I realised that wasnt the case.

I'm trying to upgrade whats best to help me get access to more areas. So going for under water breathing and triple jump.

At the moment though it's pretty even across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just being bringing them along together.I assume you'll have everything unlocked by the time the game was over?.

Although, I did think the same for Skyrim until I realised that wasnt the case.

That's what I was thinking too, though I am tempted to just go unlock triple jump as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can it be played using a keyboard and mouse set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

woah, what an awesome game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RasTa wrote: »
    Can it be played using a keyboard and mouse set up?

I tried it when I was having issues with my controller (thankfully now rectified). Didn't think it worked at all, like most 2d platformers with k&m. Just felt awkward and inexact for a game with this pace. Put it this way - I found it easier to play with my controller even when buttons were causing two things to happen at the same time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What controller you using, don't have one at the moment. Would rather not spend €30 to play this game(360 wired)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I'm currently on my third play through of Rogue Legacy and nearly have everything maxed out. :o

Is this along the same vein? I'm fierce tempted.

I'm currently on my third play through of Rogue Legacy and nearly have everything maxed out. :o

Is this along the same vein? I'm fierce tempted.

No the closest comparison would be super metroid, similar sort of environments, abilities and challenges.

Reminds me a fair bit of Dust: An Elysian Tale too.

RasTa wrote: »
    What controller you using, don't have one at the moment. Would rather not spend €30 to play this game(360 wired)

I'm using my PS4 controller.

At the end of the Forlorn Ruins,
    had to stop, I just couldn't focus on the wind escape. I don't think it's as urgent as the water one so just need to slow down a little.

• Advertisement

At the end of the Forlorn Ruins,
    had to stop, I just couldn't focus on the wind escape. I don't think it's as urgent as the water one so just need to slow down a little.
    yeah the wind one is tricky if you take it like the water one, its actually a lot more about timing your movements right as each segment plays out

Finished it there. Sort of kicking myself over the forlorn ruins as it was the only dungeon of the 3 main ones I didnt 100%, I didnt mean to skip a whole segment of it, its just I had just unlocked triple jump and it does feel at times like cheating cause you can make jumps normally you'd have to wait for certain upgrades for. I ended up timing my jumps pass a trickey set of rotating lasers (I think you are actually meant to go slowly around the room in a big loop, but I just skipped over it by timing my jumps and wall bounces)

Overall though, for a 20 euro game I got 8 hours gametime in one session, and I didnt 100% it. I loved the feel of the character, movement was spot on and when you finally open up all her move set and go through some of the earlier areas, the momentum you can build up is great and really highlights how much you grow in the game.

Overall very few missteps design wise, I really only disliked one area
    misty forest
    which the game pretty much confirms you wont have to go back to it once your done, there's no hidden goodies or anything to justify dealing with some of that crap again so that was good

the other dungeons were all fantastic, very challenging and the escape sequences were nerve breaking excitement from beginning to end.

My biggest criticism is probably the binding of the pound move to down on the analogue stick. It's the only control element that's not as tight as the rest, you can mess up very easily inputting it and there is a particular point towards the end of the game where you cant mess up doing the pound move and I'm pretty sure I had to repeat that area 20 or so more times because of it messing up on me.

Will probably go back to it soon enough to 100% it, now that I know where I messed up in one area I can probably finish it off very quickly in a 2nd playthrough.

My game just crashed at the very end. I can't even resume the save file because you can't continue once you have completed the game. Off to youtube to watch the final cutscene. I guess the complete the game achievement will have to wait. Soured my experience :(

Edit: Managed to watch it via the cutscenes option. Excellent game!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is excellent. I'm about halfway through it. Terrific.

To answer the question from earlier about upgrades, I too rushed for the under water breathing. I got it before the water sections and it makes them nice and relaxing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Very jealous of people with an Xbox.

Big fan of 2D games with beautiful art like Dust, Child Of Light etc and this looks absolutely stunning. First game I'd nearly consider watching a full playthrough of on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This seems to be the 1st truly big download only game this gen. Some solid reviews and I've got a metroid/vania itch but I just know it will drop in price in a sale sooner rather than later....... must resist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

calex71 wrote: »
    This seems to be the 1st truly big download only game this gen. Some solid reviews and I've got a metroid/vania itch but I just know it will drop in price in a sale sooner rather than later....... must resist :o

Just give in Calex! You know you want to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It more than likely will end up on sale soon enough, but it's well worth the price now!

Have just unlocked Mt Horu, but now I've all the abilities I'm going back to get all the secrets. Have really enjoyed it.

Might try and do the under 3 hours playthrough afterwards but there's no chance of the 'complete without dying'!

I dont see how you could complete it without dying, it is an insane challenge.

logik wrote: »
    I dont see how you could complete it without dying, it is an insane challenge.

As soon as you die, pause, exit, reload last save. You do it quick enough your respawn counter is still zero. Make good use of the different save slots.

It'll still be hard though.

• Advertisement

As soon as you die, pause, exit, reload last save. You do it quick enough your respawn counter is still zero. Make good use of the different save slots.

It'll still be hard though.

Good point, although you would have to be creating save points quite regularly to avoid frustration.

Advertisement