Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ori and the blind forest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That sounds like a joyless, pointless and painful way of playing through any game, to be perfectly frank. A virtual badge is no reward for suffering through such a chore, regardless of one's stance on achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I somewhat agree. Surely it's the challenge not the reward that would drive you to try that? Similar to a hardcore character in Diablo. One death and you're out. Single segment run, no saves is the way to do it.

Not everyones cup of tea for sure but the challenge would be good. "Gaming" or "Cheating" the system removes the entire point of the challenge.

I can see some semi speed runners uploading a single segment deathless run to twitch or youtube in the near future.

And its far from impossible. I've died over 100 times on my file and im sure most in here has too.....but the thing to keep in mind is that this was our first playthrough and completely blind.....and we were going for collectibles. I know I died over 30 times alone just on the water tree escape trying to collect the orbs on the way up. On a deathless run, you would be skipping all that and just concentrating on surviving.

Very doable once you know the game.

I'm getting near the end of my playthrough I think. Ability wise,
    having triple jump, gliding and wall climb completely changes the way you get around
    . I feel like a squirrel ninja! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

maximoose wrote: »
    Ginso tree was some jump in the difficulty curve :pac:

Kept dying in the one spot until I got the timing right
    the worm like guys who pop up and shoot purple balls
    , Blast is great.

Just done The Ginso tree, very well designed level, the end sequence on it is excellently done, very exciting! Thoroughly enjoying this game, well worth the small price!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

tony1980 wrote: »
    Just done The Ginso tree, very well designed level, the end sequence on it is excellently done, very exciting! Thoroughly enjoying this game, well worth the small price!

I've gotten the
    water element - i believe it unlocks the ginso tree section?

very good tight gameplay, I'm actually discovering an enthusiasm for these type of games that i didnt even realise I had. I completed guacamelee last year when it was free with gold and loved every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Finished this last night. Really enjoyed the game. Story, Art Work, Music all great. I will admit though that the last section of the game
    Mount Huro
    had me close to smashing the controller :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Completed it last night too, absolutely loved it. I want more!

Only the 338 deaths, not too bad :pac:

Completed it last night too, absolutely loved it. I want more!

Only the 338 deaths, not too bad :pac:

Ohhh must check how many deaths I have. Didn't know it recorded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

logik wrote: »
    Ohhh must check how many deaths I have. Didn't know it recorded them.

You won't be able to reload your save once your finished now though. Finished my second playthrough yesterday, I did the no deaths, no abilities and under 3 hours, actually wasn't that difficult, did it in 3 sittings and 3 save files to avoid frustration. Such a great game.

It should tell you in smartglass or game hub how many respawns you've had

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Anyone else having problems using DS4 playing this?

• Advertisement

It should tell you in smartglass or game hub how many respawns you've had

Christ Maxi... just logged into SmartGlass. I can see you on my friends list. You are at 338 Respawns and I am at... wait for it...641!!! Risk taker, thats me haha :pac:

Ha! I feel better about mine now :pac:

Had about 200 deaths on mine when I finished it. The thing to remember though, is occasionally I would just suicide on purpose.

Like you would save before a risky jump, miss the jump and think "well I could climb all the way back up and try again, but it would quicker to just die and respawn back up there".... :D

The guys speedrunning it have found some impressive skips in a week. The record is down to 57 minutes already. Its even possible to complete the game without climb or super jump. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Im after finding a game breaking bug in the Ginso tree. it was up near the top after getting the bash and i fell through the floor and out side the map and of course what did i do?i saved it outside in the glitch and now im fcuked:mad:

https://account.xbox.com/en-IE/gameclip/92584ad4-27e2-4208-b1ee-0ad247c57150?gamertag=In4Ab8tin&scid=96430100-71ae-4488-8791-79d50fc045ea

Im after finding a game breaking bug in the Ginso tree. it was up near the top after getting the bash and i fell through the floor and out side the map and of course what did i do?i saved it outside in the glitch and now im fcuked:mad:

https://account.xbox.com/en-IE/gameclip/92584ad4-27e2-4208-b1ee-0ad247c57150?gamertag=In4Ab8tin&scid=96430100-71ae-4488-8791-79d50fc045ea

have you tried copying the save to another slot and loading it from there? That has helped with soft locks in the past with other people.

Its not the end of the world if you have to restart. Annoying yes but you can get to the Ginso tree in about 30 minutes without any glitches if you hightail it through the early game. The speedrunners can get there in 16 minutes using glitches and it only takes about twice that to do it legit.

Kirby wrote: »
    have you tried copying the save to another slot and loading it from there? That has helped with soft locks in the past with other people.

Its not the end of the world if you have to restart. Annoying yes but you can get to the Ginso tree in about 30 minutes without any glitches if you hightail it through the early game. The speedrunners can get there in 16 minutes using glitches and it only takes about twice that to do it legit.

They should give you the option to return to the last autosave (boss battles) as well - or where you find those soul wells.

just passed the Ginso tree, there really is zero margin for error there. Had to take a break after the 20 plus tries it took me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

just passed the Ginso tree, there really is zero margin for error there. Had to take a break after the 20 plus tries it took me.

Ori was pulling the thorns from his arse from those inner portals for a while after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Sparko

I managed to get stuck in a wall somehow in the Ginso tree, around some of those portals. I also saved in the general panic.

I'm playing on pc, luckily a bit of googling unveiled a tool some very helpful person on steam created which warps you to a variety of places, so using that I managed to get back on track without starting again. Otherwise I'd probably have never played again, glitches like this usually unleash my stubborn side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sparko wrote: »
    I managed to get stuck in a wall somehow in the Ginso tree, around some of those portals. I also saved in the general panic.

I'm playing on pc, luckily a bit of googling unveiled a tool some very helpful person on steam created which warps you to a variety of places, so using that I managed to get back on track without starting again. Otherwise I'd probably have never played again, glitches like this usually unleash my stubborn side.

In fairness, you saved in the glitch. I remember learning that lesson on the N64.

• Advertisement

There needs to be a rollback feature though. A lot of modern games with autosave have a 3 save rolling system. Ori is a phenomenal game but they should have added this. There are many tales of broken games due to saving oddities. Thankfully mine went off without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can this be downloaded on Xbox 360? Had a look today but could only see it for XB1...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can this be downloaded on Xbox 360? Had a look today but could only see it for XB1...

Xb1 or pc only I'm afraid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Christ, that Ginso Tree escape bit was tough :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

keane2097 wrote: »

It is coming out on the 360 but the release date is TBA.

It's a tough but very enjoyable game, superb value for 20 quid!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Christ, that Ginso Tree escape bit was tough :o

yeah, that was a bit of an unexpected difficulty spike alright. It doesn't help that the water is a cheating b@stard - no matter how quick you are, it always rubberbands back to you.

if its any consolation, the next section is a good bit easier.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yeah, that was a bit of an unexpected difficulty spike alright. It doesn't help that the water is a cheating b@stard - no matter how quick you are, it always rubberbands back to you.

if its any consolation, the next section is a good bit easier.

Yeah there was a few times I nearly gave up for the night, I actually got past the escape bit much quicker than it took me to do the right hand side of the heart where you had to bash the projectile through the 4 pipe/portal things to break the wall though.

I was struggling to do it when trying to get the secrets along the way, eventually said f*ck them and ignored them - did it first go!

Kinda wish I didn't now as they are now the only secrets that I missed in the game

I was struggling to do it when trying to get the secrets along the way, eventually said f*ck them and ignored them - did it first go!

Kinda wish I didn't now as they are now the only secrets that I missed in the game

I think I got them all but I'm not sure, is it just the 3 or 4 yellow orbs you pass? Is that the only area you can't revisit?

• Advertisement

Yeah just the few orbs. You can't revisit Ginso Tree or the Forlorn Ruins once you leave, or revisit the map after you enter Mt Horu.

Think that's all.

Advertisement