Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ori and the blind forest

Options
124»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think I'll spend this evening going back through areas I've done to find secrets now that
    the water is clear I. had already unlocked water breathing before the Ginso tree and I was annoyed that none of the water was clean, seemed like the most useless ability ever
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think I'll spend this evening going back through areas I've done to find secrets now that
    the water is clear I. had already unlocked water breathing before the Ginso tree and I was annoyed that none of the water was clean, seemed like the most useless ability ever
    :pac:

Yeah I did a bit of that once I got out of the ginso tree as well, just dont forget to save often, even though the areas are easier with all your new abilities, you can still get caught out in a patch of thorns or by the falling blocks.

lets just say I may have had to re do 20 minutes worth of work... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Had to start again anyway last night, got to the part where you get the double jump in about 20 mins. It took me about two hours the first time.

you'd be surprised how fast you get through the puzzles even if you forget to save and have to redo the last five minutes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finished it last night, great game. The final chase part had me swearing at the TV a few times :pac: Playthrough was about 12 hours I think altogether, can't remember how many deaths.

Not sure I'll be going for the no death, no ability points and under 3 hour run though, sounds like a lot of effort.

Did any of the achievements glitch on anyone? I had all the map stones got going into Mt. Horu but the achievement was only at 69%, I ended up having to use the back up save glitch to get it annoyingly. Looking at the true achievement forums a fair few of them seem to be buggy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I must admit my response to the game tempered quite a bit towards the end. While I feel the endless seas of spikes did fit into the world and themes better than they do in most titles, the relentless reliance on spike traps as an obstacle ultimately grew dull. The other devices used to add difficulty - one shot lasers, 'hot' ground, randomly falling objects - felt cheap at best, and at worst actively clashed with the art design (one of the chases in particular made it extremely hard to pick out dangerous objects compared to graphical flourishes).

During the escape sequences, I felt a lot of those frustrations came to the fore, and really felt frustrating as opposed to a welcome challenge. Whereas Raymen Legends had similarity demanding 'one life' obstacle courses, the developers also managed to find fun, imaginative and fourth-wall breaking twists for the levels as opposed to relying on the same old tricks. Ori sadly struggles in that regard.

There's a good chunk in the middle of the game where Ori really does come together - the graceful platforming and a well-judged level of challenge overcoming the fact that the game is undeniably derivative. On either side however - a sluggish start and a maddening final stretch - it didn't seem as balanced, and made for an altogether less satisfying experience. Not a bad game by any stretch, and occasionally an excellent one, but too many niggles and poor judgements to get a free pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

When comparing this to Rayman, I think its important to remember that Ubisoft are a AAA studio with the resources that comes with that. On the other hand, this was made by about 6 people.

Frankly, I think they did a remarkable job.

I finished this myself last night, I have to say, i found it extremely satisfying. A perfect length and beautiful looking.

If I was to be overly critical, I'd probably feel that the following could be addressed. - pretty much the same as johnny_ultimates comments

The Escape Sequences - a great idea, but essentially trial an error until you have them learned, and even then there are random occurences such as projectiles required to bash off not appearing.

The colour palette / effects used in projectiles, I found myself on several occasions not really sure of what was going on because it was lost in flashes of whites and purples - I could only tell if i was taking damage by looking at my life orbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I have not played this, but there's a lot to be said for the 8-12 hour platformer....

If any of you liked this, you should try Dust: An Elysian Tale, it was free on Games with Gold about 6-12 months back, and free with PS Plus recently

Cormac... wrote: »
    I have not played this, but there's a lot to be said for the 8-12 hour platformer....

If any of you liked this, you should try Dust: An Elysian Tale, it was free on Games with Gold about 6-12 months back, and free with PS Plus recently

Yeah I really liked Dust and found this quite similar gameplay wise, though Dust had a lot more RPG elements to it. I don't think I got around to finishing it so I'll have to go back to it soon.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I really liked Dust and found this quite similar gameplay wise, though Dust had a lot more RPG elements to it. I don't think I got around to finishing it so I'll have to go back to it soon.

That's probably cause all the weird flurries in it :P
    I don't finish a lot of games, but I finished Dust and honestly. The guy who created it knew what he was doing story wise. Cause like 80% of the game you haven't a clue whats going on and all of a sudden *WHAM* the last hour hits.
    I don't want to post any spoilers but I found it quiet moving as stories go (and before anyone asks, no I don't have like a bazillion hours to play JRPGs or Square Enix stuff).
    You'll probably finish Dust in one sitting if you put some decent time into it already and don't give a feck about collectables or getting all the chests etc.... and it's well worth it...
    Plus 1 guy pretty much made it and fun fact he's friends with/works with the 2 that made Charlie Murder, another game i enjoyed though for vastly different reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Dust was a GwG title last year wasn't it?

Pretty sure I have it in my games, must give it a look.

maximoose wrote: »
    Dust was a GwG title last year wasn't it?

Pretty sure I have it in my games, must give it a look.

Yes it was. That's where I got it and it's pretty great
    Initially, you'll think "What is this weird Furries Bad-Metroidvania rubbish" but it has a certain charm that grows on you pretty darn quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kirby wrote: »
    When comparing this to Rayman, I think its important to remember that Ubisoft are a AAA studio with the resources that comes with that. On the other hand, this was made by about 6 people.

Frankly, I think they did a remarkable job.

Some degree of leniency given its origins is certainly allowed (although they did have Microsoft support, which is a boost many studios wouldn't enjoy). And it's impressive that production quality wise it can actually compete with Rayman (from the stunning art to the sweeping orchestral score). But I think most of the issues I have with it are down to merely unimaginative design, and I'm not entirely convinced it's solely a matter of resources as a result. There's still much to praise, yes, but I don't have issue also highlighting areas where it doesn't succeed.

Possible sequel on the way, one of the Moon Studio Devs posted this on neogaf
    Apart from interviews, post mortems, etc., I'm also dabbling around with a few prototypes. There are 5 potential things we have in the oven right now (spanning from smaller to _huge_ projects) and I'd love to talk about these games, but as usual, we have to keep things secret for a while longer. We like a good secret as much as the next guy ;) Some other people just came back from their well-deserved vacations, so I think it's all good :)

We also started acquiring some new talent and I'm super excited to see them do work for us. I think a lot of people are really interested in our way of working, the 'virtual office' kinda thing, etc. - and I think a lot of people are just super hungry to work on passion projects instead of doing work on the, without trying to sound disrespectful, 'factory games'.

Business-wise, Ori was already profitable a week after release and Microsoft is super happy, so we'll see about Ori's future :)

maximoose wrote: »
    Possible sequel on the way, one of the Moon Studio Devs posted this on neogaf

Well if they haven't started working on the sequel, I'd be surprised. It was a critical and commercial success. For a "new" studio, that's a big deal. They would want to build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

limnam wrote: »

Hmm, no mention of fixing the other achievements, secret areas not counting and those wells. There's a work around by using the same one over and over but there's no fun there. When they fix it I'll be back for another playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Got this last night on russian store for €5.60 ish. Could have stayed up all night playing it.

sweetie wrote: »
    Got this last night on russian store for €5.60 ish. Could have stayed up all night playing it.

one of the best games so far this year, prepare for some tense bits up ahead, it gets difficult pretty quickly!

one of the best games so far this year, prepare for some tense bits up ahead, it gets difficult pretty quickly!

I'm ready for the challenge! I've just completed all the souls games. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've been playing this for the last few days and really enjoying it. There has only really been one big difficulty spike so far. A sequence where
    you have to escape from rising water

I know the game is supposedly very difficult so I'm hoping it stays fun. The last game I played like this was Guacamelee which was amazing. So far this is just as good.

Posted this the xbox forum but no harm going here too I guess.

Definitive edition due on March 11 , new area , 2 new abilities , fast travel and easy mode being some of the features new to the game.

They don't give a price on it but do suggest a discount that current owners of the game will be happy with. Thats near the end of the video.

Current owners of “Ori and the Blind Forest” can upgrade to the Definitive Edition for $4.99, while all new players can pick up the full game for $19.99, which includes the original “Ori.”

So should be <€5 for the "upgrade", quite tempted to pick it up - had been meaning to give it another playthrough anyway

PC version has been delayed for some unknown reason.

Gutted to be honest.

so roughly how many hours of new stuff is there and how soon can it be accessed?

Not sure how much play you get out of the new material, but apparently it's accessible as soon as you unlock the double jump which is fairly early on.

Forgot how annoying the Ginso tree was until the weekend, got the hang of it much quicker than the first time but the controller came close to going out the window a few times :pac:

Advertisement