Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools - Dublin 15/Dunboyne Area

Options
  • 10-03-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

I am not from the Dublin 15 or surrounding area and therefore I know nothing about any of the schools in the area. We are living here and will be sending our little boy to a school in the area. I am looking for recommendations for schools and some info on how I go about researching the schools and what I should be looking for. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Central

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Where in Dublin 15 do you live, this will determine the catchment area for your schools and also do you wish to send your child to a Catholic school or an Educate Together. That again will narrow down your choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

Sorry, living in the Ongar area. I am very much into a good education and good opportunities for my little man and we are catholic so again, would prefer a catholic school. We are also not in a position to go down the private education route.

TIA

Thanks January,

I know the names of the schools in the catchment area but the problem is I don't know anything about the schools/reputation/teachers/students etc.

Would be great to get some personal feedback?

Thanks

Ahhh right!

I don't have any experience of any of those schools. Maybe make appointments to pop in and see them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I'm sure the Mods may have an issue about discussion on 'reputation/teachers/students'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Naming of individual teachers would not be on, but otherwise any factual feedback should be ok.

OP there have been numerous threads in this forum over the years on this subject, and I've yet to see particularly bad feedback on any of the schools mentioned above.
    In my own experience, you cant beat the educate together schools but if you want to go with the religous ones fair enough - dont discount them though - most have after school religion organised by parents with the local religious people. They're a great way to let your child learn about tolerance, integration and understanding by seeing it in action.
    Also from my own experience, every school will have great teachers and one or two not so great ones. It's a bit of a lottery so dont get too hung up on the school's reputation.
    The ability to easily get to the school, preferably by walking, would be high on my list of requirements for a primary.
    I would also look at what secondary school(s) each primary is a 'feeder' for, as that will be important to you later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

I have 3 boys going thru Mary Mother of Hope and would highly recommend it to anyone....If you are in Ongar though you may not get the option as it is usually over subscribed from children within their catchment area...Benedicts would be yours in Ongar

Also, I'd be ringing all these schools first thing in the morning to make sure you will actually get a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

January wrote: »
    Also, I'd be ringing all these schools first thing in the morning to make sure you will actually get a place.

+1. I know Benedict's was heavily over subscribed for autumn 2015

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ALL named schools are experiencing a heavy waiting lists !
    Not sure if you can "pick" or just go with the one that accepts your application BASED on the catchment area !
    Good luck but the applications confirming places have been sent already back to parents ,some weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

athtrasna wrote: »
    +1. I know Benedict's was heavily over subscribed for autumn 2015

I can endorse this. We met all the criteria & our twins were 18 & 19 on the waiting list for 90 places.... was told by the school that near 200 applied that met their criteria. Already been told that the 90 places have been accepted so that's that. ET Hansfield for our pair, though having since been up to visit it we're delighted, despite the fact its not really in walking distance & car parking for drop off's is a major issue up there.

Having been in your position this year OP I suggest you apply to 3 or 4 schools & hope you get offered a place as there may not be a choice involved, you may only be offered one of the schools & this may not be your first choice one. D15 is heavily populated with a shortfall in school places according to one TD I spoke to recently so try to give yourself as many options as you can.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Hi there

Does anyone know which primary school is in the catchment area for Springlawn estate? I see that St xaviers is the catchment for summerfield and part of the clonsilla road but not Springlawn. The only other school I know of is St bridgets and I believe its a boys primary school. I'll have a girl going to school in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Springlawn is in the catchment for xaviers sure its only around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

The catchment area,for enrolment purposes is:

Summerfield Estate, Kirkpatrick Drive andAvenue, Rockfield Park, Close and Drive, Coolmine Close, Green, Road, Park,Lawn, Boulevard, Woods and Mews. OrchardCourt, Grove, Close and Green, Clonsilla Road 52-132 and 113 – 201. Broadway Road, Drive, Park & Grove, WoodviewGrove. Roselawn Road 76 – 174 and 139 –181. Roselawn Glade, Crescent, Walk andDrive. Glenville Estate (all), DelwoodEstate (all) and Brompton (all). Verdemont, Westend, Grove Road and Waterville.

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Hi there

Yes, that catchment stops at 51 Clonsilla road. Very odd that waterville is in the catchment area but Springlawn isn't.

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that our little man won't be going to school until September 2018 so I'm not sure I can even apply to any of these schools yet, anybody know?

Also, I am keen to hear about St. Peter's NS in Dunboyne if anyone has any feedback on there. I had a cousin attend there years ago and have heard recently it still has a great name and rep.

TIA

Like that, it would be worth ringing and asking about enrollment policies as some schools do take names a few years in advance. Educate Togethers especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

DvB wrote: »
    I can endorse this. We met all the criteria & our twins were 18 & 19 on the waiting list for 90 places.... was told by the school that near 200 applied that met their criteria. Already been told that the 90 places have been accepted so that's that. ET Hansfield for our pair, though having since been up to visit it we're delighted, despite the fact its not really in walking distance & car parking for drop off's is a major issue up there.

Having been in your position this year OP I suggest you apply to 3 or 4 schools & hope you get offered a place as there may not be a choice involved, you may only be offered one of the schools & this may not be your first choice one. D15 is heavily populated with a shortfall in school places according to one TD I spoke to recently so try to give yourself as many options as you can.

Just to bump this for anyone who may be looking at St. Benedicts for next year, our 2 started school in Hansfield ET & were then last week offered places in Benedicts, as already mentioned previously ours were 18 & 19 on the waiting list so even if you dont get in at the start there's still a chance of getting offered a place if that far down the waiting list.

Hansfield has a great set up & the staff are superb BTW, & in particular the Principal made a very good impression on us... an incredibly nice man who is fantastic with the kids.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement