Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gutter Press

• 10-03-2015 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

www. herald .co.zw/alcoholic-dumps-zim-out-of-wc/

As reported in the Irish Independent today. Disgusting article. I've never seen anything so despicable reporting of a Cricket Match.

Even if John had mistakenly touched the boundary and hadn't noticed then you take it on the chin and move on. That's the Spirit of Cricket. Fuming. :mad::mad:

Comments

Ach, on the other hand, delightful to see just how much it annoys him. And the reaction on the comments seems to be stfu. Mooney chose to air his issues, like any sports star it leaves the door open to any small minded nasty person to use that afterwards. I'm sure Mooney can afford to laugh at him, as winners can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

It is reassuring to read all the comments below the article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

HonalD wrote: »
    www. herald .co.zw/alcoholic-dumps-zim-out-of-wc

As reported in the Irish Independent today. Disgusting article. I've never seen anything so despicable reporting of a Cricket Match.

Even if John had mistakenly touched the boundary and hadn't noticed then you take it on the chin and move on. That's the Spirit of Cricket. Fuming. :mad::mad:

But he did touch the boundary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

marc96 wrote: »

Literally none of that is relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I cannot see how anyone can say that. The replays indicated that he didn't and none of the crowd behind him indicated that he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Someone please post this on the zimbabwe forum, They spent the whole game calling us a bunch of arrogant tossers, I'd love to see their reaction to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I cannot see how anyone can say that. The replays indicated that he didn't and none of the crowd behind him indicated that he did.

The catch is suspect. Williams walking off made the decision not replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

On another topic i was fishing the All Ireland Open Shore Competition last Saturday.

On the second cast i Reeled in a 51cm Bass

Good enough to win the pool for longest round?

Yes but it was not on my hook,it was instead on a rig that somebody had lost before the comp even started.

I could have said nothing and went with it but i would not like to win by cheating.

If he knew he touched the boundry then he has to live with that,im sure its not the case though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He could nick it to first slip and it's considered fine but claiming a catch is the worst thing you can do. Cameramen did a good job but it isn't clearcut, there is doubt and it would have been interesting if the batsman waited for the third umpire's decision. I believe he would have survived.

Not the point of the thread though and it doesn't excuse that vulgar article.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Fair play, I've always admired Taylor

[IMG]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p>On behalf of the Zimbabwe cricket team.We just want to express our apologies to <a href="https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket">@Irelandcricket</a&gt; and John Mooney for the unacceptable article</p>— Brendan Taylor (@BrendanTaylor86) <a href=" 11, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

EDIT: Anyone know how to post tweets here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I know it's already been said, but I would pretty much take no notice of what is essentially a Mugabe mouthpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fair play, I've always admired Taylor

[IMG]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p>On behalf of the Zimbabwe cricket team.We just want to express our apologies to <a href="https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket">@Irelandcricket</a&gt; and John Mooney for the unacceptable article</p>— Brendan Taylor (@BrendanTaylor86) <a href=" 11, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

EDIT: Anyone know how to post tweets here??

Just paste the link in. Boards.ie has its own in-built code to display it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Replays do show he touched the boundary,doesn't matter as game is over but I will say the batsman was at fault for walking off when he should have stayed on!

Replays do show he touched the boundary,doesn't matter as game is over but I will say the batsman was at fault for walking off when he should have stayed on!

Replays don't show anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

fair play
    Craig Ervine @Craig_Ervine77 · 11h 11 hours ago
    A sincere apology to @Irelandcricket and John Mooney. Have some respect for the player and the game#unnecessary#heraldArticle
    Follow

Sikandar Raza
    @SRazaB24
    Sending full support from all the players to john mooney against the unacceptable article @Irelandcricket @Craig_Ervine77

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Replays don't show anything.

If you say so but it shows 100% that he touched.but like I said it doesn't mean anything anyway as game is over

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Someone please post this on the zimbabwe forum, They spent the whole game calling us a bunch of arrogant tossers, I'd love to see their reaction to this
    It's already been posted, good to know I am not the only one who lurks there:pac:

If you say so but it shows 100% that he touched.but like I said it doesn't mean anything anyway as game is over

It shows something that could be a touch, but could be a shadow. Depends on the angle you choose. It's certainly not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It shows something that could be a touch, but could be a shadow. Depends on the angle you choose. It's certainly not 100%

It's acedemic now but there was no clear evidence that he touched the boundary. The commentary kept saying he did but there was no sign of it.

However, in the spirit of cricket, the batsman took their call from the fielder. To say that Zimbabwe lost on the match on this ball is widely exaggerating - there are 300 legitimate balls to play with so it cannot have been a deciding factor IMO

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The suggestion that he touched the boundary came from the Aussie commentator who was just couldn't bring himself to admit he got it or wrong. Replay after replay he was pointing to a movement only he saw. The player himself left the crease before it had been ruled on, which as I understand it, meant he couldn't have continued even if he'd been ruled not out.

The Zimbabwean reaction has been classy and fair play to them. One dodgy journalist shouldn't taint the image of a country. There's a few beauties around this neck of the woods we can be glad don't get much coverage abroad.

:)
    Jimmy Neesham @JimmyNeesh · Mar 10
    @Chakariboy your piece on John Mooney is easily the most disgraceful, malicious "article" I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Go home.

Advertisement