Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development of the Wicklow Arms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Regrettably not. One minute WCC say they're ceasing work on the site to allow further exploration of options and the next they're back felling more trees and demolishing existing structures. Not very satisfactory!

Langerland wrote: »
    Any Update from that meeting? Any more clarity on this development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

People at the meeting were questioning the legality of WCC actions and the lack of public consultation, planning process etc..
    There was no clear answer to that, but the councillors present seemed to say that the council could do whatever development work they wanted up to a certain cost (I think 120,000 pounds or euros was mentioned) This elicited some scepticism from the floor, especially when they admitted they had no idea how much they have spent developing the site so far.

They announced that work had ceased. But yesterday I passed by and there were more people than ever working there. It seems they have moved activities now to a different part of the site, away from the floodplain.

Does that mean that all the hard stand areas and the septic tanks they installed in a flood prone area down by the riverbank have been a total waste of public money? Who knows. They must have a humungous housing budget if they can afford to throw money away like that.

An interesting article in the IT here refers to the recent burning of Stylebawn
    Gardaí have started an investigation after one of the country’s oldest private houses, Stylebawn in Delgany, Co Wicklow, was destroyed by fire at the weekend.

Meanwhile, across the road from the Stylebawn ruin at the "not-a-halting-site" WCC's expensive development works are nearing completion.
    A traveller family was forced to leave Bray due to "a huge outpouring of goodwill from the people of Bray" for a 90 year old pensioner who was brutally beaten and will never be able to return to the home she lived in all her life.
    Well done to the people of Bray for taking action.
    And the best of luck to any unarmed pensioners and/or people living alone in Delgany for 2017.
    I just hope this is not all part of some spat between developers and WCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Neither of those news reports mention travellers or people forced out of their homes.

Please keep on topic.

And there won't be any anti traveller posting allowed either

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Mod edit:
    Take the agenda somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks this discussion is about the Wicklow Arms development. Take the scare mongering and targeting named individuals to other places. Maybe facebook but not here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Please stay on topic - Final warning!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wicklow Arms development has been approved by An Bord Pleanala.

Taken from the Bray People:

Members of Delgany Community Council are 'disgusted' that An Bord Pleanala has approved development at the Wicklow Arms site.

'The general opinion is that the inspector accepted everything that the developer's people said and didn't really listen to what we had to say,' said David Walsh, PRO of the council.

He said that they haven't scheduled a meeting to take any further steps. 'We don't think a judicial review would be appropriate as we don't have the grounds,' he said.

The village-centre development includes 22 dwellings, retail, office and restaurant space.

The authority signed off on the permission last Thursday. Wicklow County Council granted permission last year to Cruslim Property Limited, however a number of individuals and organisations appealed, including Delgany Community Council and Bellevue Court Residents Association.

The plans include the development of 12 town houses, 10 apartments and two retail units and three office units, as well as the demolition of old single-storey farmer cottages.

The cottages currently house a photography studio and printers and would be replaced by a landscaped car park.

Access to the development would be through Bellevue Court.

Some of the objections to the plans included access for houses through Bellevue court, the height of the development, and the demolition of cottages on the site.

The Wicklow Arms public house itself is a protected structure and the demolition works do not relate to any aspect of the protected part.

The planned development includes a mix of semi-detached and detached three-bedroom houses; two one-bedroom apartments and eight two-bedroom apartments.

The commercial element of the scheme includes redevelopment of the Wicklow Arms including alterations to provide for a change of use from public house to restaurant.

A previous application by Cruslim Properties was rejected by planners as 'incomplete'.

Bray People

Advertisement