Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a G shock for Dad

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have the second one so am biased but I prefer it over the other two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Casio seem to be making all their later range of g shocks with analogue displays now. I think the classics with the digital displays are more useful. The later ones don't really do anything a regular watch does now other then extreme shock protection. Older ones have moon graphs and other useful features. The ones I listed are 3 or 4 year old models now but I think they would be more functional and techy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

In my experience the analogue digital ones can a bit complicated to use compared to the digital lcd only models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I have quite a collection of G-Shocks.
    From your selection, the first and last one are the same watch, basically. These ones have an awful location for the light for night time viewing, meaning it's not actually that easy to read when you hit the button in the dark.

For normal inside viewing, the LCD display on the middle one is also a lot easier to read. I'm not sure why they keep making LCD displays which have dark numbers on a dark background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 RUK

Casio DW-5600E-1VER

This one. It's the classic Gshock. Easy to use n read

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Umbongo uk

RUK wrote: »
    Casio DW-5600E-1VER

This one. It's the classic Gshock. Easy to use n read

Agreed - pretty much exactly how a G-Shock should look - though the purist (pronounced "geek") in me will no doubt, at greater cost, steer me towards the GW-5000 when I do buy myself a G-Shock.

Oh, and hello to all on this forum - a special thanks to Wibbs for making me aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Umbongo uk

Apologies for double post there - for some reason I couldn't get into "edit" the first post.
    Probably something dumb I did, or didn't, do...!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For feck's sake U, 1 post in and you kill the hamsters in the server. I dunno… :D

Oh and plus one on the GW-5000. That for me is "G-Shock". I especially like the negative display one

GW-5000B-1JR_1.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Surprised nobody recommended an ABC Protrek so far. It's no G-shock but comes pretty close in terms of durability. I have two and will tick all boxes of your requirements: trekking, fishing and general outdoor stuff.

Here's a pic of my PRG-1500T. While I think it's better than my other PRG-40, you can find the latter cheaper and the digits are oversized, just perfect for telling the time at a glance. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the PRG-40, but Google is your friend :)

Watches%252009.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh and plus one on the GW-5000. That for me is "G-Shock". I especially like the negative display one

Gorgeous watch that, but the price... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2830632/Trail/searchtext%3ECASIO/gotoTab/reviews.htm
    299-2830632SPA71UC548287X.jpg

This is like a mini pro trek, has a compass and temp sensor, world time, stopwatch etc. I saw this in Argos for €76. Do you think this is worth buying? G shocks in around €100 that I was looking at don't really offer anything other then a stopwatch and world time so I'm thinking this may be a better option for my dad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

I have the 7900-1-er, absolutely love it, very comfortable on the wrist and easy to read/use

I've noticed that Casio seem to be moving to analogue displays more and more with the g-shocks, pity!

Although I do quite like the dark, negative displays on some models

Advertisement