Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing chainset from 50/34 to 53/39

• 10-03-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

I am changing an 11 speed Ultegra compact chain set 50/34 to a standard 53/39.
    Will i have to replace the chain for a longer one or will it be OK. I have an 11/28 cassette on the back

thanks
    Dono1975

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Should be ok, just stay well away from the 53-28...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

I made the a similar change recently but on 10 speed. 53-28 didn't look like a great plan on the old chain so i got a longer one. The derailleur was stretched way forward so I got a new chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If a new chainset I'd be putting on a new chain.

While you might mean never to use 53/28 or 53/25 it might be too late for your rd and hanger when you put it in there on some drag with a headwind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

You will also have to reposition (raise it up the seat tube) the front derailleur due to the larger diameter of the 53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Dono1975

Thanks for the replies lads ill put a new chain on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I often switch between compact and standard chainsets without moving the FD or changing the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW I often switch between compact and standard chainsets without moving the FD or changing the chain.

I do the exact same, changed the chain initially but only to save the cassette/chainring. cassette is a nine speed 25/? And No problems at all

Advertisement