Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season Fast Approaching

Options
  • 10-03-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Won't be long before it hit's May,they start to come in slowly for a few months!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Do they really come in that early??
    All around the coast??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do they really come in that early??
    All around the coast??

I can only speak for the east coast in recent years but it's June at the earliest. There's at least 8 or 9 weeks to go before I'll be even thinking about targeting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

They were very late coming in last year.It was halfway through july before i saw them in any big numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

Caught them on the west coast last year in mid may,very slow though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I can only speak for the east coast in recent years but it's June at the earliest.

If we're lucky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

They never really showed up last year off Louth - small numbers and only sometimes. Even from a boat we had to work very hard to get enough for bait. The earliest I've caught them up this way is May, but that was exceptional - usually July before they're really around.

Did any of ya use Sabiki Feathers for mackerel fishing,i do all the time not great in strength line wise but much better than what ya would buy out off the shop,there's a bloke selling them on adverts.ie for 1 euro a pack,he will do ya a deal if ya ordered a good few...selling them on e-bay to but ya would have to buy hundreds of packs at a time,but worth it..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Robarley wrote: »
    Did any of ya use Sabiki Feathers for mackerel fishing,i do all the time not great in strength line wise but much better than what ya would buy out off the shop,there's a bloke selling them on adverts.ie for 1 euro a pack,he will do ya a deal if ya ordered a good few...selling them on e-bay to but ya would have to buy hundreds of packs at a time,but worth it..

You can catch them in April down around kinsale get them every year there

realrebel wrote: »
    You can catch them in April down around kinsale get them every year there

kinsale,where abouts exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

kinsale,where abouts exactly??

Out around the old head off the rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I've used sabikis for years - they're first class. The tiny hooks are great for the kind of fish that are left in the NE or for herring, and the larger ones are good for mackerel, pollack and coleys.

bpmurray wrote: »
    I've used sabikis for years - they're first class. The tiny hooks are great for the kind of fish that are left in the NE or for herring, and the larger ones are good for mackerel, pollack and coleys.

Yeah love the sabikis,caught some nice fish with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

I seem to recall catching them early enough last year off the west coast, then they disappeared for a while and then they came back again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

wheres a good spot in Dublin to Fish for Mackerel anybody know ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Mackerel Season Fast Approaching
    Won't be long before it hit's May,they start to come in slowly for a few months!!

Eh, think I'd change the title of this thread.
    It's the middle of March and the mackerel are a long way off for most anglers. Unless you're out in a boat you've no chance of catching macks yet (especially on the East Coast).

Start a Mackerel thread when they show and then get the mods to sticky it.

Eh, think I'd change the title of this thread.
    It's the middle of March and the mackerel are a long way off for most anglers. Unless you're out in a boat you've no chance of catching macks yet (especially on the East Coast).

Start a Mackerel thread when they show and then get the mods to sticky it.

Eh!! No...actually 8 days away from April upon posting,then after that 30 days to May.

Happy Fishing :)

Eh yes! You OP'd on 10th March. At least 10 weeks before shore mackerel for most of us and then we'd be lucky. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Eh yes! You OP'd on 10th March. At least 10 weeks before shore mackerel for most of us and then we'd be lucky. ;)

I reckon May will come and go and we'll still be waiting for them in decent numbers

I reckon May will come and go and we'll still be waiting for them in decent numbers

No doubt in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

April mackerel from the shore in Cork.....optimistic!

• Advertisement

April mackerel from the shore in Cork.....optimistic!

Ya might ya know!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement