Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD price hike as car is over 15 years old

Options
  • 10-03-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello all,
    i just want to say im absolutely fuming. I am with FBD and have been for over 15 years. I have full NCD, no accidents, convictions, endorsements OR penalty points -ever. I drive less than 5K miles a year, (NCT cert can show this) and my insurance has gone from €340 last year to €752 this year! and that's only 3rd party fire & theft. I mean, WTF!
    How on earth can insurance go up that much in just 12 months. Sure, we expect a possible 10 -15% increase year on year but this is absolutely stupid money.
    In the UK, the same cover costs less than £175.
    I had always been happy with FBD but if costumer loyalty means nothing, time to move on.
    I have already tried Axa and 123, Axa is as bad, 123 wont quote because my car is over 15years, even though it has a full current (new) nct and is in immaculate showroom condition.
    I will try 0ph0rce0's suggestion of 25plus.ie
    I just cant believe how we are being screwed by Irish insurance companies. They don't care because whatever about road tax (which is a joke) & the nct (which is a money making racquet), we HAVE to have motor insurance.
    Alot of us are already struggling with other debts, our homes being repossessed etc and now this!
    No wonder everyday i am told "the country is f***d"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SparkyCrk

cant get an online quote with 25plus.ie if the car is older than 1995!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't bump an old an unrelated thread. Posts split to a thread of their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Most cars of that age are not in showroom condition, like yours. Insurers only care about the group profile and they do not like old cars. They are not going to make an exception to their acceptanc criteria on an individual basis

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SparkyCrk

hi all,
    just been onto FBD, age of the car is not a factor and they are quite happy to re-insure it - at their new premium rates,
    I asked & asked & asked why has my premium doubled only to be told insurance premiums have doubled across the board with all companies. Curious this cos i have a lady friend who got a cheaper renewal than last year with Aviva! but Aviva wont quote me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

FBD were in the news recently

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0302/683796-fbd-results/

I'd guess they are bumping up the premiums to cover recent losses.

Like all insurance, shop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

SparkyCrk wrote: »
    hi all,
    just been onto FBD, age of the car is not a factor and they are quite happy to re-insure it - at their new premium rates,
    I asked & asked & asked why has my premium doubled only to be told insurance premiums have doubled across the board with all companies. Curious this cos i have a lady friend who got a cheaper renewal than last year with Aviva! but Aviva wont quote me!

My wife is with aviva. Last year preemium 280. this year premium 280. No changes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CiniO wrote: »
    My wife is with aviva. Last year preemium 280. this year premium 280. No changes.

Wasn't she involved in a crash recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wasn't she involved in a crash recently?

Not recently. 4 years ago.
    And that was in my car, not hers.
    I would have lost my NCB if I hadn't NCB protection.
    I had NCB protection so my NCB stayed untouched, but I had to stay with the same insure since.

She informed her insurer then as well about that, and this caused her premium to rise by about 15% for one year afair. Not to bad imo, but on the other hand, it's bit silly that both policies were affected after one accident. (and this was own car damage only - no third parties involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

SparkyCrk wrote: »
    Hello all,
    i just want to say im absolutely fuming. I am with FBD and have been for over 15 years. I have full NCD, no accidents, convictions, endorsements OR penalty points -ever. I drive less than 5K miles a year, (NCT cert can show this) and my insurance has gone from €340 last year to €752 this year! and that's only 3rd party fire & theft. I mean, WTF!
    How on earth can insurance go up that much in just 12 months. Sure, we expect a possible 10 -15% increase year on year but this is absolutely stupid money.
    In the UK, the same cover costs less than £175.
    I had always been happy with FBD but if costumer loyalty means nothing, time to move on.
    I have already tried Axa and 123, Axa is as bad, 123 wont quote because my car is over 15years, even though it has a full current (new) nct and is in immaculate showroom condition.
    I will try 0ph0rce0's suggestion of 25plus.ie
    I just cant believe how we are being screwed by Irish insurance companies. They don't care because whatever about road tax (which is a joke) & the nct (which is a money making racquet), we HAVE to have motor insurance.
    Alot of us are already struggling with other debts, our homes being repossessed etc and now this!
    No wonder everyday i am told "the country is f***d"

Same here Sparky, paid around 340 Euros last year and year before, and got a renewal quote of 788 Euros for Third Party which includes 50% No claims discount. Spoke with them twice and they wont budge.

Have a Renault Megane 99. Got a quote from chill insurance in writing today for 446 Euros, rang FBD and said that I can forward it to them and if they can match the price I will renew with them. The answer was No, 788 is the price. Total Madness!!

Advertisement