Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

priming/painting new door frames

Options
  • 10-03-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

have door frames to prime and paint. can anyone tell me what i need..is it an undercoat and primer + then final colour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

fifib wrote: »
    have door frames to prime and paint. can anyone tell me what i need..is it an undercoat and primer + then final colour?

What type of wood?....... assuming they are wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

yes sorry forgot to say their red deal. will be matching them to windows which are an off-white colour

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Just seal any knots with a 'knot sealer' (colron ot the like), this will stop them bleeding through coats of paint. Then make a choice of wether to go for water or oil based paint.
    Then prime, sand and top coat. Personally on a fresh unpainted wood I would apply 2 coats of a grey primer and 2 top coats, sanding between each. And again, my choice would be for a water bourne lacquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I would use a shellac-based knotting sealer, followed by an oil-based primer, undercoat and top coat. For white/ off-white top coat it might be advisable to use 2 coats of undercoat to get good coverage/ hiding with the top coat. Some of the water=based top coats aren't bad but I prefer oil-based undercoats and primers for easy of application and finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I'd disagree with the oil based if they aren't top notch at painting. I find the water based while taking more layers to build up, is a lot more forgiving and also a lot easier on the nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Fair enough, but I find oil-based undercoat very forgiving and plenty of "body" in it to cover up surface imperfections etc and good hiding power. I love the smell of paint myself, but not everyone else does!

Advertisement