Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I think it is. The story doesn't add up at all. I think they were leaving bbc anyway, and are ensuring the highest profile start in their next home

Clarksons next home has no stairs, just 24 hour ready-brek and bedpans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I don't like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Are they f*cking stupid or what?!

So f*cking what if he punched a producer. I doubt he did in the manner it's been told. He's a mans man. Not some diva that'll throw a hissy fit over cold food.

The show makes 50 million a year for them AND MORE IMPORTANTLY I WANT TO WATCH IT!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's a god damn publicity stunt it must be :confused::confused:

Are you willing to pay to watch it? If so, you can pay my TV Licence

The amount of foot stomping toys out of the pram stuff from the pubescent Top Gear fans is unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Are you willing to pay to watch it? If so, you can pay my TV Licence

The amount of foot stomping toys out of the pram stuff from the pubescent Top Gear fans is unreal

Sure you can say that about anything. Pay for hospital trolleys only so if it makes you happy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

The Guardian article linked to earlier is some of the worst ****e I've ever seen cobbled toghether by a so-called journalist. Do people actually pay to read that crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

The amount of people pretending they are culturally superior by virtue of top gear being beneath them is unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Sure you can say that about anything. Pay for hospital trolleys only so if it makes you happy :rolleyes:

That's a no then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I think it is. The story doesn't add up at all. I think they were leaving bbc anyway, and are ensuring the highest profile start in their next home

Their contracts are up for renewal fairly soon...greener pastures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Celebrity TV star gets the sack. So what? Just looked up the fact this guy is 54 years old, what if this guy actually died tomorrow? Would anyone actually give a $hit in 20 years time? Sorry Clarkson fans, they definitely would not.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Celebrity TV star gets the sack. So what? Just looked up the fact this guy is 54 years old, what if this guy actually died tomorrow? Would anyone actually give a $hit in 20 years time? Sorry Clarkson fans, they definitely won't.

The back of the Review section in the Sunday Times would be shyte though.

• Advertisement

The back of the Review section in the Sunday Times would be shyte though.

How do ya mean? Sorry my friend, I don't read any of that so its meaningless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Celebrity TV star gets the sack. So what? Just looked up the fact this guy is 54 years old, what if this guy actually died tomorrow? Would anyone actually give a $hit in 20 years time? Sorry Clarkson fans, they definitely would not.

Who said they would be holding a 20 year vigil on Clarkson's death?

How do ya mean? Sorry my friend, I don't read any of that so its meaningless to me.

Your loss so. Best bit of the paper. Or the weeks when Jay Leno does the car reviews - crap. Clarkson is an entertainer. He entertains me anyway.

Who said they would be holding a 20 year vigil on Clarkson's death?

I dunno, what are some people holding a "vigil" for why he got sacked?

I dunno, what are some people holding a "vigil" for why he got sacked?

You're making no sense whatsoever?
    Just coming up with absurd scenarios to get whatever contrived point you're trying to hammer out here.

Best off just leaving it there to save yourself further embarrassment

You're making no sense whatsoever?

You think people in 20 - 30 years time are going to care who Jeremy Clarkson was? lol Do you know who Morceambe and Wise were? (Before you googled them that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Never watch top gear but watching the media reports begs the question: why does such a presumably wealthy man dress like a 80s pervert geography teacher?

You think people in 20 - 30 years time are going to care who Jeremy Clarkson was? lol Do you know who Morceambe and Wise were? (Before you googled them that is)

I do actually but still you're not making any sense? Who said they'd still be pining for Clarkson in 20 years time. You must be quite young to hold such a juvenile viewpoint of the discussion.

Morecambe and Wise :rolleyes: Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

anncoates wrote: »
    Never watch top gear but watching the media reports begs the question: why does such a presumably wealthy man dress like a 80s pervert geography teacher?

This is an actual thing, The Clarkson Effect. So well known that my gran told me about it.
    Clarkson's fondness for wearing jeans has been blamed by some for the decline in sales of denim in the mid-1990s, particularly Levi's, because of their being associated with middle-aged men, the so-called 'Jeremy Clarkson effect'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson

I guess the pervert geography teacher look isn't that popular :P

• Advertisement

Wha???? Jeremy Clarkson is the 'Morecambe and Wise' of today!! A lot of people up in here are clearly not fans of modern history

Wha???? Jeremy Clarkson is the 'Morecambe and Wise' of today!! A lot of people up in here are clearly not fans of modern history

Eh?

This has got to be a windup

Girls, please.

I hate it when people squabble.:(

Candie wrote: »
    Girls, please.

I hate it when people squabble.:(

You should probably steer clear of the big boy threads then, love.

Eh?

This has got to be a windup

No windup my friend. 20- 30 years ago Morecambe and wise were the most popular thing on English television, and who remembers them nowadays? Same goes for Clarkson, in the grand scheme of things nobody will give a $hite. Thats my point. That's all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Candie wrote: »
    This is an actual thing, The Clarkson Effect. So well known that my gran told me about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson

I guess the pervert geography teacher look isn't that popular :P
    Aye, he did nada for jeans for men over 30, especially Levi 501's. Feck it, I can get away with it still, even though I'm middle aged, being snake hipped and such. I'm aiming more for the elegantly wasted, slightly derelict oul fella Rolling stones vibe, rather than the fat feck suburban golfer in denim. Jeremy decries middle class Cheshire golfers at every turn, yet he looks the very spit of one.

I did briefly meet the chap many years ago, before all the Top Gear II stuff kicked off and I found him very pleasant to talk with. A little publicly bashful for want of a better word, but very bright and engaging. But yep, he came across as a nice chap, eager to have an oul natter. Not nearly as "blokey" as the public persona that followed. Then again that shít sells better. He may well be the victim of his own success. James May seems to have weathered that stuff better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

anncoates wrote: »
    Clarkson isn't that wealthy AFAIK. I can't remember the details off the top of my head but he has most of his wealth through bad investments at least once in recent years. Possibly twice.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, he did nada for jeans for men over 30, especially Levi 501's. Feck it, I can get away with it still, even though I'm middle aged, being snake hipped and such. I'm aiming more for the elegantly wasted, slightly derelict oul fella Rolling stones vibe, rather than the fat feck suburban golfer in denim. Jeremy decries middle class Cheshire golfers at every turn, yet he looks the very spit of one.

I did briefly meet the chap many years ago, before all the Top Gear II stuff kicked off and I found him very pleasant to talk with. A little publicly bashful for want of a better word, but very bright and engaging. But yep, he came across as a nice chap, eager to have an oul natter. Not nearly as "blokey" as the public persona that followed. Then again that shít sells better. He may well be the victim of his own success. James May seems to have weathered that stuff better.
    I wear Levis 501. You Sir are dead to me. Jog on. Oh alright, you're not, but you better be careful. Jean-slanderer.

Wibbs wrote: »

Don't model yourself on the Old Stones, they aren't so much elegantly wasted as desperately wizened :)

Clarksons persona as the oafish dullard are totally at odds with the facts of his success. He's sold the format of the show to the BBC for a fortune and has been hugely successful as a writer in the not-quite-ukip-but-definitely-not-lefty mould, but has traded on his half-witted gorilla routine for a little too long now. Both Clarkson and the show are like the current Paris Fashion Week - an endless rehash of the same old recycled ideas and formats.

James May is far too good for TG, he's evidently a very bright and interesting man who would probably make a great present of a more middlebrow venture. I think he's overshadowed by the Clarkson ego.

Yes, I've watched too many episodes of TG with my dad. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Whether we like Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear/Cars/Political Correctness or not, surely we can all rally behind the heartening news that a public sector organisation is finally implementing a disciplinary procedure against a worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I wear Levis 501. You Sir are dead to me. Jog on. Oh alright, you're not, but you better be careful. Jean-slanderer.

Ah Potter, the man said he wears 501s FFS!

Anyway, I wear them too & I also am middle aged.

So there!

W32 L32 aswel. Just like 20 years ago.:cool:

Anyway, as things go Clarkson is an icon. Intelligent, knowledgeable, speaks his mind.

What's not to like?:confused:

I hate PC.

Political correctness is tyranny with manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
    No. Political correctness is manners.

Frito wrote: »
    Whether we like Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear/Cars/Political Correctness or not, surely we can all rally behind the heartening news that a public sector organisation is finally implementing a disciplinary procedure against a worker.

That is popular & makes them millions.....

Smart move lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Why did you bother answering the post then?

Your desperation to show that you don't like clarkson reeks of snobbishness and wannabe cultural superiority. Kind of sad that you care that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

It's cute that people genuinely believe that.

• Advertisement

Who?

Who?

Who are you?

Someone with no thread after their name :)

Answering a question with a question leaves me no wiser.

Why did you bother answering the post then?

I answered it because that particular poster seemed to believe I had read Mr.Clarkson's Sunday paper scribbling's, which I have not and I felt the need to inform the poster of the fact that i knew nothing of Mr.Clarkson's Sunday paper scribbling's

It's cute that people genuinely believe that.

We Irish love oppression. We also love to be cattle-tails to oppression aswell.

It used to be the British Empire. Got rid of that.

Catholic Church. Got rid of that.

Now it's EU,PC & The X Factor that keeps the communal brain cell ticking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

No windup my friend. 20- 30 years ago Morecambe and wise were the most popular thing on English television, and who remembers them nowadays? Same goes for Clarkson, in the grand scheme of things nobody will give a $hite. Thats my point. That's all

Eric Morecombe died in the early 80's, 1982 I think, so you're completely wrong, 20-30 years ago Morecombe and Wise no longer existed. But even so plenty of people remember them affectionately and they are still held in high regard as a comedy duo, the BBC made a tv movie of Morecombe's life just a couple of years ago.

You must be about 15 years old or something if you're trying to make the point that Morecombe and Wise are again history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

That is popular & makes them millions.....

Smart move lads.

You're right of course, much better to have him on a final warning then overlook his behaviour for the sake of profits and celebrity. This couldn't possibly backfire.

Frito wrote: »
    You're right of course, much better to have him on a final warning then overlook his behaviour for the sake of profits and celebrity. This couldn't possibly backfire.

And.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Someone with no thread after their name :)

Answering a question with a question leaves me no wiser.

If you don't know, there's just no point explaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

We Irish love oppression. We also love to be cattle-tails to oppression aswell.

It used to be the British Empire. Got rid of that.

Catholic Church. Got rid of that.

Now it's EU,PC & The X Factor that keeps the communal brain cell ticking over.

What does this have to do with Clarkson?

And the British empire, do you really think people here loved it?

And your last sentence really is nonsense.

I hope Clarkson makes it back on tv, I find him amusing.

Eric Morecombe died in the early 80's, 1982 I think, so you're completely wrong, 20-30 years ago Morecombe and Wise no longer existed.

What are you going to do, entertainment-wise, for yourself, when Mr.Clarkson dies?

dirtyden wrote: »
    What does this have to do with Clarkson?

And the British empire, do you really think people here loved it?

And your last sentence really is nonsense.

I hope Clarkson makes it back on tv, I find him amusing.

I was answering other poster's posts, whilst trying to keep the thread on track.

I gave my opinion on Clarkson BTW.

Try to keep up.:rolleyes:

Lord above. Why do I bother answering posts like this!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

What are you going to do, entertainment-wise, for yourself, when Mr.Clarkson dies?

Perhaps you could rephrase your question into something that makes a bit more sense?

Watch repeats of top gear and jeremy on youtube endlessly until I die, duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I was answering other poster's posts, whilst trying to keep the thread on track.

I gave my opinion on Clarkson BTW.

Try to keep up.:rolleyes:

Lord above. Why do I bother answering posts like this!!!!!!

Well no surprise you deflected from replying to my query on the nonsense you posted.

Why do I reply to posts like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement