Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Watch repeats of top gear and jeremy on youtube endlessly until I die, duh.

I'll rub one out to a playlist of his most derisive laughter. It'll be like a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

dirtyden wrote: »
    Well no surprise you deflected from replying to my query on the nonsense you posted.

Why do I reply to posts like that.

Yeah right. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Perhaps you could rephrase your question into something that makes a bit more sense?

Fair enough. Show an idiot like me How Jeremy Clarkson's worldwide view makes any sense then.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Fair enough. Show an idiot like me How Jeremy Clarkson's worldwide view makes any sense then.

Look past the laddish persona and there's an extremely intelligent person looking back at you. I've read a lot of what he's written, purely because I enjoyed grumpy old man whingeing in written format but some points he makes are as unexpected as they are bright.

Jeremy Clarkson is a journalist, TV presenter & a colmumist for newspapers..

Also,as part of his job(s) he tries to 'entertain'.

It helps to make his career more intresting(for Joe Public) & more profitale(For him & his family) .

He's very good at it too.

If your'e looking up to him as a Guru, or someone who can supply you with all the answers you want, you're clearly barking up the wrong tree.

What do you expect/want from him?

Look past the laddish persona and there's an extremely intelligent person looking back at you. I've read a lot of what he's written, purely because I enjoyed grumpy old man whingeing in written format but some points he makes are as unexpected as they are bright.

Will anyone recognize that in 30 years time though?? No way IMO. IMO, in 30 years time more people are going to remember Terry Pratchett than this person

Will anyone recognize that in 30 years time though?? No way IMO. IMO, in 30 years time more people are going to remember Terry Pratchett than this person

You realise what the majority of people are now, right? Clarkson is a fantastic entertainer but if he died tomorrow, hed be forgotten in 30 days Just like Pratchett, Fenton, Harrison Ford, had he been less fortunate. Anyone.

Jeremy Clarkson is a journalist, TV presenter & a colmumist for newspapers..

Also,as part of his job(s) he tries to 'entertain'.

It helps to make his career more intresting(for Joe Public) & more profitale(For him & his family) .

He's very good at it too.

If your'e looking up to him as a Guru, or someone who can supply you with all the answers you want, you're clearly barking up the wrong tree.

What do you expect/want from him?

I'm not "looking" from anything from him TBH. This guy is a modern day celebrity. A person who I do not give a $hit about, and a person that history will not give a $hit about either. Do you honestly think the likes of this clown are going to be remembered in 300 years time? No way. This guy is unimportant, the fact that some people think this clown is culturally important just shows how ****ed up we've become

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

He's not the worst in my opinion. The anti PC schtick is, I would say, partly to make a certain type think he's a legend.
    Some of it is probably genuine, some of it is probably not really meant. Some of it not that outrageous at all, and just taken seriously by serial offence seekers.
    He has said a few dickish things in fairness - presumably just for a reaction mainly, but I honestly don't think he's that bad a person overall.

I think the same about Katie Hopkins. Most of it is an act I'd wager. When she takes off her troll hat, she comes across as fairly reasonable.

Clarkson is nothing like Richard Littlejohn, whose vileness is quite sinister.

If Clarkson punched someone and gave them verbal abuse though, he deserves the consequences obviously.

• Advertisement

You realise what the majority of people are now, right? Clarkson is a fantastic entertainer but if he died tomorrow, hed be forgotten in 30 days Just like Pratchett, Fenton, Harrison Ford, had he been less fortunate. Anyone.

IMO Pratchett will never be forgotten. He was a writer, not a actor/cartoon character

I'm not "looking" from anything from him TBH. This guy is a modern day celebrity. A person who I do not give a $hit about, and a person that history will not give a $hit about either. Do you honestly think the likes of this clown are going to be remembered in 300 years time? No way. This guy is unimportant, the fact that some people think this clown is culturally important just shows how ****ed up we've become

If he's so unimportant, why are you getting your knickers in so much of a twist about him.......at this hour?

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Frito wrote: »
    Whether we like Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear/Cars/Political Correctness or not, surely we can all rally behind the heartening news that a public sector organisation is finally implementing a disciplinary procedure against a worker.

Meanwhile, we await their long overdue report on the Paedophiles & perverts who abused & molested while receiving their shilling.

If he's so unimportant, why are you getting your knickers in so much of a twist about him.......at this hour?

Eh?

My "knickers" are no way in a twist at all, I'm just trying to give you a another viewpiont on how you shouldn't view the angle of Jeremy Clarkson's viewpoint as the total truth on things. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are you willing to pay to watch it? If so, you can pay my TV Licence

The amount of foot stomping toys out of the pram stuff from the pubescent Top Gear fans is unreal

Do you actually think Top Gear needs, or indeed gets any of, the TV licence fee? It funds itself and then some (some being a lot).

Lets flip it - are you willing to pay a higher licence fee if Top Gear goes? Because the Beeb are going to want their lost cash somehow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Not some diva that'll throw a hissy fit over cold food.

If it turns out he did do it over food, like a big screaming diva, will you repent and burn your Jeremy Clarkson fanboy quilt cover and pillow case?

• Advertisement

My "knickers" are no way in a twist at all, I'm just trying to give you a another viewpiont on how you shouldn't view the angle of Jeremy Clarkson's viewpoint as the total truth on things. That's all.

I think your'e Knickers are always in a twist TBH.

I explianed my position on this, but you had to come back for more.

Well, so be it.

You love to rant & fair play to ya.

Sweat & rant in your own room & as long as it dosen't interfere with the general population.

It's all good then....

I think your'e Knickers are always in a twist TBH.

I explianed my position on this, but you had to come back for more.

Well, so be it.

You love to rant & fair play to ya.

Sweat & rant in your own room & as long as it dosen't interfere with the general population.

It's all good then....

That's not fair Filmer, you are being highly disingenuous. Show me why I should give a damn what Mr.Clarkson has to say about anything and then we can actually debate the subject

Karl Stein wrote: »
    If it turns out he did do it over food, like a big screaming diva, will you repent and burn your Jeremy Clarkson fanboy quilt cover and pillow case?

Karl. How many millions of pounds have you made for any cause?

Jeremy's talent kept a fair few people in jobs over the years.

How creative are you? Other than to make a few smart remarks on an internet site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Frito wrote: »
    Whether we like Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear/Cars/Political Correctness or not, surely we can all rally behind the heartening news that a public sector organisation is finally implementing a disciplinary procedure against a worker.

It's a British public sector body so why would anyone here care about that?

Yeah Karl, you never made any millions in money terms that we know about, so what say have you over anything at all at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Well I guess a big man like Clarky boy should be kept well fed with hearthy meaty food :) I wouldn't blame him if he did lash out.

That's not fair Filmer, you are being highly disingenuous. Show me why I should give a damn what Mr.Clarkson has to say about anything and then we can actually debate the subject

Lookit, IMHO.................yer an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjitttttt. of the highet description.

Now there you have it.

Thanks & goodbye.:)

Ahh Filmer, don't be like that.

How creative are you?

My most creative moment was, this one time, when I puked on the bathroom floor after a feed of beer.. the shape of the puddle was reminiscent of wistful old woman staring toward the sea.
    Well I guess a big man like Clarky boy should be kept well fed with hearthy meaty food :) I wouldn't blame him if he did lash out.

Ah yes, you're back-pedalling. You think him being a big screaming diva, and lashing out, over not having his dinny-poos served to him was justified now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Well it's good of you to admit it anyway. And why should I even want to convince anyone of the validity or otherwise of Clarkson's views. Top Gear is just a tv show, albeit an entertaining one. Beats me why the OTT caricature of himself that Clarkson plays on it should get people so aerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

This thread is a strange one. I think people care more about this than the man does himself :pac:

Beats me why the OTT caricature of himself that Clarkson plays on it should get people so aerated.

Wait.. isn't it his fanboys who are getting their Jezza y-fronts in a twist? Isn't it they who want him to be held to a different standard to everyone else?

Fwiw I like Top Gear and it's one of the very few programmes on TV that I will actually think 'TG is coming on'. I've learned to tune out the painful 'comedy' and focus on the cars, locations, challenges and amazing production which imo make the programme what it is.

Well it's good of you to admit it anyway. And why should I even want to convince anyone of the validity or otherwise of Clarkson's views. Top Gear is just a tv show, albeit an entertaining one. Beats me why the OTT caricature of himself that Clarkson plays on it should get people so aerated.

But that's exactly the point, why should people care if it gets cancelled anyways? It's not like its going to exist forever, it won't. It can't. Things change. Embrace that is the absolute fact of actual existence and move the f**k on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

So out of complete lack of interest ?

Should JC be crucified or given a payrise when he moves the ship to Sky ?

Scene one of Top Gear Mk II (live on Sky):

Jeremy and the Irish producer cook a steak on the engine of a tank.

.....and people pay for ideas like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Should JC be crucified or given a payrise when he moves the ship to Sky ?

He will be on good friday.

• Advertisement

Fwiw I like Top Gear and it's one of the very few programmes on TV that I will actually think 'TG is coming on'. I've learned to tune out the painful 'comedy' and focus on the cars, locations, challenges and amazing production which imo make the programme what it is.

The challenges are the best thing on it. As is destroying caravans in a variety of ways.

Clarkson hooning it around the track in a V12 monstrosity shouting "POWERRR" is one of Top Gear's tropes and tbh is preferable to them doing a review of the new Vauxhall Astra or whatever. The "Star" in a reasonably priced care is usually interminably boring as is the slide in recent years to product placement of whatever dire film that said "star" is promoting.

The news bits are another series of tropes, like insulting mexico or "and now the Dacea Sandero...", they get to be like familiar sitcom catchphrases.

But that's exactly the point, why should people care if it gets cancelled anyways? It's not like its going to exist forever, it won't. It can't. Things change. Embrace that is the absolute fact of actual existence and move the f**k on.

I don't particularly care, it's had a good run. What I do find a bit absurd is the BBC getting it's knickers in a twist over what is essentially an internal matter to that production. Get Clarkson to apologise to the guy and bung him a couple of grand compo, why there needs to be an inquiry seems faintly ridiculous as is shelving 3 already completed programs.

Also, like it or not, as much as it seems unfair, "talent" should be given more leeway than normal. It just seems like stuff is going in an ever more pc direction. Like him or not, at least Clarkson HAS a character, would it be preferable to have yet another programme hosted by some anodyne nonentity like Matt Baker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I've read a lot of his columns. He may have moments but he's also a borderline retarded. His Xenophobic rants are as dumb as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I've read a lot of his columns. He may have moments but he's also a borderline retarded. His Xenophobic rants are as dumb as you can get.

He's extremely well travelled and takes the piss. People get the ****s in India It is a fact. Eating bugs in far off places does not make you a man...it means there just is a lack of decent chippers. These are opinions - not the ranting s of a racist zealot.
    Three Blind Mice used to be sang by us lot at school, we innocently pronounced it "knickers". Not knowing what a knicker or a ****** was ...being 4 years old at the time. The world didn't end in the late 1970s as a result of this and so far as I know none of my then classsmates went on to join the KKK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

He's extremely well travelled and takes the piss. People get the ****s in India It is a fact. Eating bugs in far off places does not make you a man...it means there just is a lack of decent chippers. These are opinions - not the ranting s of a racist zealot.
    Three Blind Mice used to be sang by us lot at school, we innocently pronounced it "knickers". Not knowing what a knicker or a ****** was ...being 4 years old at the time. The world didn't end in the late 1970s as a result of this and so far as I know none of my then classsmates went on to join the KKK.

And the people from England should be very proud of how their small little country conquered so much of the world. The guy's a f'kin boob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He is the epitome of everything that is the Little Englander. Maybe Katie Hoskins could do his show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

efb wrote: »
    He is the epitome of everything that is the Little Englander.

Yup. And he's loved by many because of exactly that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

This morning they were interviewing a family from Leeds who had witnessed the altercation. Sky are a joke, who gives a bóllocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

IMO Pratchett will never be forgotten. He was a writer, not a actor/cartoon character

It depends on the future demand for slight science fiction. You are right that authors last in terms of fame. For all we know Celia Ahearne will be more famous than her father in 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

It depends on the future demand for slight science fiction. You are right that authors last in terms of fame. For all we know Celia Ahearne will be more famous than her father in 100 years.

A hernia will never be forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    This morning they were interviewing a family from Leeds who had witnessed the altercation. Sky are a joke, who gives a bóllocks.

Top story too. Very very slow news day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The biggest irony of all is that supposed "mans man" Jeremy looks down his nose at the kind of people who are his loudest cheerleaders.Hes far from being the down to earth blokey sort that they love to portray him as.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a science fiction writer, better known as a satirical writer using the medium of fantasy and has sold millions of books since the early 80's.
    Pratchett is likely to be still selling, just like Barrie, Lewis, Tolkien and Blyton, well into the next century, over the life time of his books there have been no pretenders.
    Clarkson would become as relevant as Gay Byrne, the world would bring on, his work has no permanence, being a car review show, how many of his VHS based specials have been reissued and still sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not a science fiction writer, better known as a satirical writer using the medium of fantasy and has sold millions of books since the early 80's.
    Pratchett is likely to be still selling, just like Barrie, Lewis, Tolkien and Blyton, well into the next century, over the life time of his books there have been no pretenders.
    Clarkson would become as relevant as Gay Byrne, the world would bring on, his work has no permanence, being a car review show, how many of his VHS based specials have been reissued and still sell?

Who is arguing otherwise!? Has anyone said that clarksons legacy will be up there with the worlds best selling authors? It's only you that I see trying to make the comparison

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Morecambe and Wise :rolleyes: Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

He is more Tommy Cooper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jahalpin wrote: »
    He attacked a member of staff, they have to fire him, I'm surprised the producer hasn't reported the assault to the police

is there any witnesses to this assault?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When are they going to decide what to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No. Political correctness is manners.

f09tfm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

fryup wrote: »
    is there any witnesses to this assault?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-family-claim-they-witnessed-presenter-threaten-to-have-producer-fired-during-expletive-laden-rant-10105472.html

Apparently he also threatened to have the guy fired. His arrogance shows no bounds.

At least if he gets sacked he can concentrate on what he does best, being an obnoxious right winged racist bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

I answered it because that particular poster seemed to believe I had read Mr.Clarkson's Sunday paper scribbling's, which I have not and I felt the need to inform the poster of the fact that i knew nothing of Mr.Clarkson's Sunday paper scribbling's

If you are going to accuse people of "scribbling's" (sic) then the least you could do is not butcher the English language with appalling grammar.
    http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement