Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭SeanW

PWEI wrote: »
    At least if he gets sacked he can concentrate on what he does best, being an obnoxious right winged racist bigot.
    No doubt (you'd hope?) to be replaced with a muesli eating Guardianista to remake Top Gear as an "eco-feminist" show?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

SeanW wrote: »
    If you are going to accuse people of "scribbling's" (sic) then the least you could do is not butcher the English language with appalling grammar.
    http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

Ease up man, its an internet forum not the BBC

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If I had a "fracas" with a colleague I'd be summarily dismissed!

Just because someone's a big BBC celeb shouldn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

No doubt (you'd hope?) to be replaced with a muesli eating Guardianista to remake Top Gear as an "eco-feminist" show?

NO, just with somebody who is not the Nigel Farage of TV presenters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The power lap would be measured on CO2 output, the lowest wins, there would be A Star On A Reasonably Priced Bicycle, comparisons of all new family hatches in CO2 output, also taking production into consideration, the news would be mostly talking about food mileage and how far your organic tofu has to travel, knitting behind the wheel, how cars can be made more women friendly, since all three presenters would be women of course, driving- Birkenstocks vs high heels, what is the % of women on the boards of car manufacturers and a 30 minute segment on taking public transport instead of cars. It's not going to be all dull, in every show a Ferrari would be torched, blown up, dropped from a great height, fired from a canon, etc..., whilst explaining that these cars are penis extensions, irresponsible, bad for mother earth and that the new Prius is out now, which incidentally will sit in the new absolute zero category of the re-organised cool wall, with everything else in the new "Burn in Hell, Scum" category.
    Oh yeah. I am SO looking forward to that! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

pity he didn't come out from underneath his hotel bed when there was lads outside his hotel room in argentina willing to hit him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

He is a horrible arrogant little bully who let all the positive attention from Top Gear go straight to his ego and created a twisted monster who thinks he can do and say as he feels, but this time he has gone too far. Imagine with all the starving kids in the world he freaks out over not getting a steak. Sack the little pr!ck, hes only an untalented waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

buried wrote: »
    Celebrity TV star gets the sack. So what? Just looked up the fact this guy is 54 years old, what if this guy actually died tomorrow? Would anyone actually give a $hit in 20 years time? Sorry Clarkson fans, they definitely would not.
    How do ya mean? Sorry my friend, I don't read any of that so its meaningless to me.
    You think people in 20 - 30 years time are going to care who Jeremy Clarkson was? lol Do you know who Morceambe and Wise were? (Before you googled them that is)
    I dunno, what are some people holding a "vigil" for why he got sacked?
    Wha???? Jeremy Clarkson is the 'Morecambe and Wise' of today!! A lot of people up in here are clearly not fans of modern history
    No windup my friend. 20- 30 years ago Morecambe and wise were the most popular thing on English television, and who remembers them nowadays? Same goes for Clarkson, in the grand scheme of things nobody will give a $hite. Thats my point. That's all
    I answered it because that particular poster seemed to believe I had read Mr.Clarkson's Sunday paper scribbling's, which I have not and I felt the need to inform the poster of the fact that i knew nothing of Mr.Clarkson's Sunday paper scribbling's
    What are you going to do, entertainment-wise, for yourself, when Mr.Clarkson dies?
    Fair enough. Show an idiot like me How Jeremy Clarkson's worldwide view makes any sense then.
    Will anyone recognize that in 30 years time though?? No way IMO. IMO, in 30 years time more people are going to remember Terry Pratchett than this person
    I'm not "looking" from anything from him TBH. This guy is a modern day celebrity. A person who I do not give a $hit about, and a person that history will not give a $hit about either. Do you honestly think the likes of this clown are going to be remembered in 300 years time? No way. This guy is unimportant, the fact that some people think this clown is culturally important just shows how ****ed up we've become
    My "knickers" are no way in a twist at all, I'm just trying to give you a another viewpiont on how you shouldn't view the angle of Jeremy Clarkson's viewpoint as the total truth on things. That's all.
    That's not fair Filmer, you are being highly disingenuous. Show me why I should give a damn what Mr.Clarkson has to say about anything and then we can actually debate the subject
    But that's exactly the point, why should people care if it gets cancelled anyways? It's not like its going to exist forever, it won't. It can't. Things change. Embrace that is the absolute fact of actual existence and move the f**k on.
    Ease up man, its an internet forum not the BBC

....riiight

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

....riiight

MOD - If you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation then there is no need to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Karl Stein wrote: »
    My most creative moment was, this one time, when I puked on the bathroom floor after a feed of beer.. the shape of the puddle was reminiscent of wistful old woman staring toward the sea.

Ah yes, you're back-pedalling. You think him being a big screaming diva, and lashing out, over not having his dinny-poos served to him was justified now is it?

O refuse to believe it myself. The only kind of celebrity to lash out over incorrect or or no food, when it's as easy as going to the chipper for some, are people like Beyonce or Kanye West.

Clarkson simply isn't Kanye West. He's just not. There's something else there and it's being hidden. It may well still be his fault but it's hidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

darkdubh wrote: »
    The biggest irony of all is that supposed "mans man" Jeremy looks down his nose at the kind of people who are his loudest cheerleaders.Hes far from being the down to earth blokey sort that they love to portray him as.
    Only people that don't actually watch Clarkson and instead are working off the medias completely made up Clarkson caricature could think these things.

Clarkson is afraid of manual labour, he likes posh food, the only ladish thing about him is he's into cars, outside of that I'd say he has very little in common with your average British "lad".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He only talks ****e and has inane opinions, so he's similar in that sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

PWEI wrote: »
    NO, just with somebody who is not the Nigel Farage of TV presenters.

solidarity with your trigger alert.

This is hilarious. I really only watch top gear specials. No interest in cars. Find them all mostly a bit annoying but occasionally fun. Production values are brilliant though. The slope joke was way off though.

The sheer hatred they get is massively over- proportional.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

This is hilarious. I really only watch top gear specials. No interest in cars. Find them all mostly a bit annoying but occasionally fun. Production values are brilliant though. The slope joke was way off though.

The sheer hatred they get is massively over- proportional.

I think it goes both ways. Some people love to be outraged by Clarkson/Top Gear and can't wait to get on the Twitters to tell everyone about it. On the other hand, a mildly entertaining tv show runs into a spot of bother and the fanboys are taking it as an attack on Western Democracy.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Only people that don't actually watch Clarkson and instead are working off the medias completely made up Clarkson caricature could think these things.

Clarkson is afraid of manual labour, he likes posh food, the only ladish thing about him is he's into cars, outside of that I'd say he has very little in common with your average British "lad".

The most important thing about him is, he doesn't like football.
    It makes me feel less of a freak for not foaming at the mouth at the thought of 22 men chasing an inflated pig's bladder round a field. That alone makes him OK in my book. No offense to any football fans, but I'm a bloke who is proud to say "I don't get it!" :D

It's a good point there, someone comes in to say "I don't care, blah blah blah" but the same poster attacks J.C. with increasing ferocity over 30 posts in a thread about Jezza who he claims not to "give a damn/sh1t" about, who is irrelevant and "no-one will remember" ...

If that were true, if J.C. were such a non-entity that you GENUINELY don't care about - and no one else doe - then why all the hate in a thread specifically about J.C?

Surely it would be easier to avoid a thread about a non-entity. If he actually were such ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

22 men chasing an inflated pig's bladder round a field.

Only 20 really chase it around as the goalkeepers generally perform a relatively static role, being confined to their areas.

Plus they've been using using footballs made with synthetic materials for the last 159 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

This is very true he has had a very privellaged life since he was a kid. When he talks about not spending 60K on a specific car but going for the 80K alternative he means it because he could. The average joe could not even consider such a thing. I used to find him very entertaining but over the last few years its all got a bit samey and I couldnt really give a toss of the BBC sack him. I reckon Sky would whip him up though, like it or lump it he is gold and no matter where he goes raitings will go with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Jeremy Clarkson has the most punchable face known to man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Surely it would be easier to avoid a thread about a non-entity. If he actually were such ...
    It seems that you want a clear run for Clarkson's supporters.

It seems that you want a clear run for Clarkson's supporters.
    No, I'm suggesting that if the Clarkson bashers genuinely didn't care about him one way or the other, they wouldn't be constantly going on about how much they "don't care" about him.

I don't care about Professional Wrestling (for example), but I don't constantly drone on and on and on about it.

anncoates wrote: »
    Only 20 really chase it around as the goalkeepers generally perform a relatively static role, being confined to their areas.

Plus they've been using using footballs made with synthetic materials for the last 159 years or so.

OK, 20 men chasing an inflated synthetic ball around a field and 2 others trying to keep it from going through a net-covered opening whilst earning more money in a week than most hard-working people in a year (or several) and more than any heads of state, scientists working to advance the human race or people speaking up for human rights. And that's small change compared to what Sky makes. ;)
    That's pretty much what one would have to say if aliens visited, a game of football was on the telly and they would ask what all the fuss was about.
    Of course aliens turning up at my house is far more likely than a game of football being on my telly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

anncoates wrote: »

It's at least that old, and still **** ?!?

OK, 20 men chasing an inflated synthetic ball around a field and 2 others trying to keep it from going through a net-covered opening
    Or as a friend of mine put it, a load of lads kicking a bag of wind around a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Clarkson went to the Chelsea v PSG match, odd behaviour for someone who doesn't like football. He even announced he was going to the paps who doorstepped him.

All part of the persona. People are naive to believe they have any familiarity with someone's personality based on what they see on tv. Laughable really.

Ps. Apparently*(according to a weekly b1tchy / pop gossip email) they were late back to the hotel as they were in the pub. Fair enough. Apparently the big man was getting stuck into the Rose wine. When confronted with the reality of no dinner he let rip with something along the lines of "you useless lazy Irish cnut" ..no punches. Big deal. If your man had any swingers he would have told them to get to bed and catch themselves on.

Completely innocuous. Non event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

OK, 20 men chasing an inflated synthetic ball around a field and 2 others trying to keep it from going through a net-covered opening whilst earning more money in a week than most hard-working people in a year (or several) and more than any heads of state, scientists working to advance the human race or people speaking up for human rights. And that's small change compared to what Sky makes. ;)
    That's pretty much what one would have to say if aliens visited, a game of football was on the telly and they would ask what all the fuss was about.
    Of course aliens turning up at my house is far more likely than a game of football being on my telly...

You can describe any field game as such, like rugby is a load of lads throwing a ridiculous egg shaped ball around a field!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Ah yes, you're back-pedalling. You think him being a big screaming diva, and lashing out, over not having his dinny-poos served to him was justified now is it?

LOL!!! Back pedalling :D:D:pac::pac: My bike's a one speed.

Yeah it was justified. Sure what do you know, maybe the producer is a bell end :pac: The point is that Clarkson is a legend. RTE can only have wet dreams about having a talent like him on their station. As if they'd ever get him on the late late for 5 mins even.

Now go on, run back to your telly, you're probably missing Home & Away or Fair City.

You can describe any field game as such, like rugby is a load of lads throwing a ridiculous egg shaped ball around a field!

Rugby is a game for men with odd-shaped balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Or as a friend of mine put it, a load of lads kicking a bag of wind around a field.

Ye had Frada over?

• Advertisement

Clarkson went to the Chelsea v PSG match, odd behaviour for someone who doesn't like football. He even announced he was going to the paps who doorstepped him.
    He's kids support the team and he followed them by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that honour belongs to Piers Morgan.

No he doesn't, far from it. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

that honour belongs to Piers Morgan.
    Enda Kenny :mad:

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Enda Kenny :mad:

Endas more a kick in the bollix guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No, you always slap the teacher

No, you always slap the teacher

not in my day you didnt. Not if you wanted to continue living anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

He's kids support the team and he followed them by default.

In this times article he explains that he wasn't a fan, his son "converted" him in 2009, more or less and ever since he has become a fan. Indeed he went to the 2012 Champs league final.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5949802.ece

"So there we are, then. I am now a football fan. I know this because in one afternoon I learnt I’m not a football fan at all. I’m a fan of Chelsea. Chelsea are the only team that can play. Chelsea players have by far the most impressive reproductive organs. Stamford Bridge is my church. The men who play there are my Gods.

In short, I have a team, and that’s what’s always been missing. Because I was born in Doncaster."

All part of the persona. People are naive to believe they have any familiarity with someone's personality based on what they see on tv. Laughable really.

Ps. Apparently*(according to a weekly b1tchy / pop gossip email) they were late back to the hotel as they were in the pub. Fair enough. Apparently the big man was getting stuck into the Rose wine. When confronted with the reality of no dinner he let rip with something along the lines of "you useless lazy Irish cnut" ..no punches. Big deal. If your man had any swingers he would have told them to get to bed and catch themselves on.

Completely innocuous. Non event.

So no slapping. Odd that it's even an issue. Maybe he said the P word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Maybe he said the P word.

Petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

What's all this talk about Enda? Is he actually real? I always thought he was some sort of preprogramed hologram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So no slapping. Odd that it's even an issue. Maybe he said the P word.
    Id be surprised if the BBC let the punch rumours go this far without issuing a denial if it was just a verbal exchange, unless they really are just trying to drege up a bit of publicity...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Not really a Top Gear fan and I would rarely watch it. But we need guys like Clarkson who aren't pre-scrubbed, overly sterile, PC robots. The BBC should be more concerned about their staff who allowed/facilitated Paedophile rings to operate under its badge and within its corridors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Yeah it was justified.

So, u-turn notwithstanding, if he did slap the guy you think it was justified? You'd condone his being a pampered man-diva who lashes out when his food isn't ready?

This this is what you call a 'man's man'?

Your man-card has been revoked.

So, u-turn notwithstanding, if he did slap the guy you think it was justified? You'd condone his being a pampered man-diva who lashes out when his food isn't ready?

This this is what you call a 'man's man'?

Your man-card has been revoked.

LOL man card, either you're a 6 yr old or you're a stereotype 30-something :pac:

Does it upset you that there's real alpha men in the world who'll get into fisty cuffs over food? What plastic box salad from centra did you eat at your office desk today because your boss doesn't allow you outside at lunch? :pac:

So, u-turn notwithstanding, if he did slap the guy you think it was justified?
    I don't know the details but hitting someone is rarely justified. It happens though, most people do get into stupid fights over their lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I don't know the details but hitting someone is rarely justified.

Tell that to Mint Aero who thinks that Clarkson's diva outburst was justified.
    It happens though, most people do get into stupid fights over their lifetime.

Yeah but over your food not being ready? Seriously, anyone who thinks that that type of diva outburst is 'alpha male' behaviour needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fair play to Clarkson. People of servitude have been trampling all over privately-educated, middle-aged millionaires for too long!

• Advertisement

Yeah but over your food not being ready?
    I'm not arguing he didn't act like a child, but I don't know that there wasn't a day full of him being antagonised leading up to that point. He always struck me as a bit of a spoilt man child, it's part of his appeal.

To be fair if there's ever a time you going to flip your top it's when you're hungry after a long day.

Advertisement