Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

the absolute best thing about this thread is the saltiness of the people that hate Stewart Lee and his section on Top Gear.

What he does is quite accurately satirise the values that Top Gear & Clarkson represent and make their views look as stupid, small minded and bigoted as they really are. This might be a problem for those that actually subscribe to that kind of thinking and lifestyle... or you could not take their message seriously and realise they talk an awful lot of **** and just enjoy Top Gear anyway.

and yeah, if you don't like Stewart Lee try raising your standards. Humour is subjective and all that but don't get angry at him because your standards are low, thats your problem, not his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Mint Aero wrote: »
    You can't compare the work day he had to normal run of the mill people. Did you see the episode where Hammond was hoisted up a vertical 200ft dam in a jeep?! Can you imagine how sky rocket his adrenaline would be after that!

They were filming in Newcastle all day. Clarkson's adrenaline was probably in top gear and the chap was probably hanging for food. What kind of idiot can't arrange a bit of hot food after the days work? Should be sacked and get a bollicking from the heads of BBC too. Thankfully Clarkson gave him the bollicking he deserved. Might think twice before f*cking up a simple task.

Either you are a windup merchant or as big a tool as clarkson.

If he was so concerned for food why did he supposedly keep the helicopter waiting whilst he was in a bar ?

It is gobshytes like you that now has a normal employee getting abused through social media and on web, just because some people's pet tv celebrity behaved like a spoilt prat.

clarkson was late. Dinner had been available, but was the chef meant to wait around indefinitely for lord clarkson to turn up ?
    In your deluded little world everyone should pander to celebrities.

I presume you are a kid and have never really worked in the real world because if you did you would see this as just a big bully throwing their weight around rather than your so called alpha male.

It is funny you drag in alpha males.
    If anything your comments show who is a subservenient lickspittle who would grovel for a crumb from clarkson.
    As May said "it's all getting a bit ridiculous" PC culture gone mad. Men should be men and have arguments if needs be. Who needs some scrotum tied up in a suit reading the HR rule book through their hipster glasses anyway :pac:

Try that in the vast vast majority of work environment and see how far it gets you.

BTW it is easy to see how he is a johnny come lately Chelsea fan.
    His sense of entitlement together with a complete lack of class ties in well with their manager.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson initiated the BBC investigation which prompted his suspension, after he informed BBC bosses of the alleged "fracas".

BBC News understands that the star phoned BBC head of television, Danny Cohen, to report the incident.

Producer Oisin Tymon, with whom the altercation took place, is not believed to have filed his own complaint.

Interviews are expected to be held with the star and other parties next week, and the show has been taken off-air.

Clarkson has expressed regret over the incident, which his co-presenter James May labelled "a bit of a dust-up".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31869967

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

BMMachine wrote: »

What he does is quite accurately satirise the values that Top Gear & Clarkson represent and make their views look as stupid, small minded and bigoted as they really are. This might be a problem for those that actually subscribe to that kind of thinking and lifestyle... or you could not take their message seriously and realise they talk an awful lot of **** and just enjoy Top Gear anyway.

That's the thing, everyone is wise to Jeremy Clarkson and his on screen persona (I can't speak for his personal views). It's just light hearted entertainment at the end of the day with some stereotypical joking thrown in every now and then. But no, people make out that SL has made some groundbreaking revelation on Top Gear's immaturity which is then lapped up by the rabid "Sack him, Racist, Little Englander" tools who actually take JC with anything other than a pinch of salt.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

That's the thing, everyone is wise to Jeremy Clarkson and his on screen persona (I can't speak for his personal views). It's just light hearted entertainment at the end of the day with some stereotypical joking thrown in every now and then. But no, people make out that SL has made some groundbreaking revelation on Top Gear's immaturity which is then lapped up by the rabid "Sack him, Racist, Little Englander" tools who actually take JC with anything other than a pinch of salt.

exactly. Clarkson is to be taken in no way seriously. I generally like when they do those top gear specials and all that, sure a lot of it is set up and whatnot but who cares. I care not for the show in general as I have almost 0 interest in cars, aside from the one I drive :p
    Should he be sacked? I don't care really. It would be a shame due to no Top Gear specials but that really isn't enough to interest me either way, he probably shouldnt be sacked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Physical and verbal assault (not a fight, which implies there's a pair of them in it) is ok once it's by a PC rejecting "legend".

I really think there will come a time when just being polite and compassionate to others will be deemed PC gone mad.

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Hasta la vista, baby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Baby Jane wrote: »
    Physical and verbal assault (not a fight, which implies there's a pair of them in it) is ok once it's by a PC rejecting "legend".

I really think there will come a time when just being polite and compassionate to others will be deemed PC gone mad.

Can you (and everyone else) back up your claim of physical assault with some evidence?
    No?
    Thought not. OK, moving along. Let's see what the result of the investigation will be and in the meantime some of the anti clarkson brigade can wipe the foam from their chin.

Can you (and everyone else) back up your claim of physical assault with some evidence?
    No?
    Thought not.
    But you... didn't let me answer. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have now reached a point where it now appears being a celebrity sportsperson, tv star, etc means that you can walk on the little people and their "fans" end up targetting the little person who dared to discommode their favourite celebrity.

How many other forms of employment would have some employees equivalent to those that are currently plying their trade as sports professionals.

We have seen how the likes of suarez was supported, excused and even forgiven for his excesses.
    We nearly had a convicted rapist welcomed back into a professional football team.
    Perhaps kids should just be told become good at something that is on TV, you will gets loads of dosh and you can get to treat everyone like shyte and the best bit is people will defend you.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No?
    Thought not. OK, moving along. Let's see what the result of the investigation will be and in the meantime some of the anti clarkson brigade can wipe the foam from their chin.

Yes, the BBC have it

It's the Clarkson sycophants who have the foam on their chin. They're hilarious.

I love how, if it was anyone else, there wouldn't be a denial of assault despite reports indicating it. However when it's his lordship Jeremy Clarkson "it's all lies!"

Ok, so no evidence. Anyone? Anyone?
    Maybe someone on boards was there and can shed some light?
    We've heard about a lot of shouting, but no one said "I saw the whole thing, he grabbed yerman, pulled his fist back and hit him square in the face, he went down like a sack of spuds, yeronner."

It's more a case of "If he did assault him, he's a thug" but his bizarrely ass-licking fans can't bring themselves to say this, so they either play down the possibility that he assaulted someone, or they insist on solid proof, otherwise it didn't happen.
    It may have happened, is the point, and to deem this as just another example of his "legendary", "anti PC" antics is a bit sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Anyone? Anyone?

He was suspended by the BBC. The BBC aren't going to suspend an asset like Clarkson unless they've a damn good reason.

Are you saying the thread should be closed because none of us were there to witness what happened? Are you aware that this is a discussion forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/jeremy-clarkson-vs-danny-cohen-just-how-much-is-the-infamous-steak-dinner-fracas-going-to-cost-the-bbc-10105987.html?origin=internalSearch

Good piece in the standard, it's clear just how many friends clarkson has. And how much he is worth. Too gear ain't going to disappear for sure.

Ok, so no evidence. Anyone? Anyone?
    Maybe someone on boards was there and can shed some light?
    We've heard about a lot of shouting, but no one said "I saw the whole thing, he grabbed yerman, pulled his fist back and hit him square in the face, he went down like a sack of spuds, yeronner."

You are making a fool of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

You might if a work colleague clocks you on the job.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Either you are a windup merchant or as big a tool as clarkson.

If he was so concerned for food why did he supposedly keep the helicopter waiting whilst he was in a bar ?

It is gobshytes like you that now has a normal employee getting abused through social media and on web, just because some people's pet tv celebrity behaved like a spoilt prat.

clarkson was late. Dinner had been available, but was the chef meant to wait around indefinitely for lord clarkson to turn up ?
    In your deluded little world everyone should pander to celebrities.

I presume you are a kid and have never really worked in the real world because if you did you would see this as just a big bully throwing their weight around rather than your so called alpha male.

It is funny you drag in alpha males.
    If anything your comments show who is a subservenient lickspittle who would grovel for a crumb from clarkson.

Try that in the vast vast majority of work environment and see how far it gets you.

BTW it is easy to see how he is a johnny come lately Chelsea fan.
    His sense of entitlement together with a complete lack of class ties in well with their manager.

It's amazing to see how afraid people are of HR. :confused:

It's amazing to see how afraid people are of HR. :confused:

Mere mortals tend to be afraid of instant dismissal in their workplace hence the lack 'smacking' people about when you you don't get your own way. The sycophantic lot will gloss over this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

She was only sixteen!

• Advertisement

What on earth is this HR thing about? That post from Jmayo is spot-on and would be agreed with if it weren't for the weird awe Clarkson commands.

Up to this, I didn't even think he was that bad - knew half the time he was just messing, or else something he said wasn't that offensive and just taken too seriously... but this incident is pure obnoxiousness and the lengths people are going to to downplay it and even defend it... are almost surreal.

Clarkson shouldn't feel entitled to get his way no matter what - it's up to him to be on time, otherwise tough. He's not the only customer - staff have certain conditions they're entitled to, and lives outside of work.
    And yes, his fans don't seem like "men's men" at all, they seem like complete grovellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

used to love topgear..when it was about real cars.and bikes....buses and trucks...now i dont like the silly behaviour of dropping cars out of aeroplanes..etc...driving up and down rivers....

let the other two lead....and lets go back to real car information..good and bad and the ugly....

clarkson is way ott for me..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I never liked Top Gear.

used to love topgear..when it was about real cars.and bikes....buses and trucks...now i dont like the silly behaviour of dropping cars out of aeroplanes..etc...driving up and down rivers....

let the other two lead....and lets go back to real car information..good and bad and the ugly....

clarkson is way ott for me..............

Sounds boring

Sounds boring

It will be replaced by the vegan lesbian public transport show.

It will be replaced by the vegan lesbian public transport show.

Seems to be what they really want :D

So true. A distaste for physical and verbal assault could only mean wanting a... "vegan lesbian public transport show".

Embarrassing. The likes of that wouldn't even be said by my nearly 70-year-old dad - and he's come up with some clangers.

So true. A distaste for physical and verbal assault could only mean wanting a... "vegan lesbian public transport show".

Embarrassing. The likes of that wouldn't even be said by my nearly 70-year-old dad - and he's come up with some clangers.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Cool off. They're just taking the piss out of a made up politically correct caricature. The sense of humor disparity between the pro and anti JC can't be coincidence at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

:confused::confused:

Think she's saying there is a strong whiffe of camphor off Jezza?

Sorry if I got the vibes wrong.

• Advertisement

Cool off. They're just taking the piss out of a made up politically correct caricature. The sense of humor disparity between the pro and anti JC can't be coincidence at this stage.
    They're being caricatures themselves with their "It's PC gone mad" in relation to criticism of physical/verbal assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Did you read the Guardian article above? The Left would like nothing more than Top Gear to be axed and replaced with an "eco-feminst" version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The update on Top Gear was, in fairness, a masterstroke. By the end of the 90's car magazine shows were a dime a dozen, even RTE had one.

That being said the current format feels played out and a bit contrived at this point. I don't usually bother with it anymore but it would seem that the show is still riding a wave. No doubt the next show will have HUGE viewing figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

HeHe this thread is evolving nicely. We've gone from a guy saying that Clarkson is too much of a mans man to act like a Diva over food.

Being shown multiple reports and eye witness statements that he did do that and he admitted to it himself.

Next up was, well, he was damn right to get upset. Some imbecile can't do his job and have his food ready for him.

I guess the next thing to come up should be the fact that it's being stated that they had booked the cast and crew in for dinner at 8pm in the restaurant but Clarkson refused to get on the helicopter and kept on drinking. They arrived at 10pm and the Chef had gone home.

He was given soup and cold cuts. He threw a fit and eventually the manager made him a steak sandwich.

It's also being reported that multiple people who worked on the set were upset with his behavior and other patrons of the hotel thought it was very inappropriate. Clarkson contacted his boss to give himself up before his disgruntled crew could throw him to the dogs.

Clarkson is a f'king boob. You'd have to be a moron to defend him.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    HeHe this thread is evolving nicely. We've gone from a guy saying that Clarkson is too much of a mans man to act like a Diva over food.

Being shown multiple reports and eye witness statements that he did do that and he admitted to it himself.

Next up was, well, he was damn right to get upset. Some imbecile can't do his job and have his food ready for him.

I guess the next thing to come up should be the fact that it's being stated that they had booked the cast and crew in for dinner at 8pm in the restaurant but Clarkson refused to get on the helicopter and kept on drinking. They arrived at 10pm and the Chef had gone home.

He was given soup and cold cuts. He threw a fit and eventually the manager made him a steak sandwich.

It's also being reported that multiple people who worked on the set were upset with his behavior and other patrons of the hotel thought it was very inappropriate. Clarkson contacted his boss to give himself up before his disgruntled crew could throw him to the dogs.

Clarkson is a f'king boob. You'd have to be a moron to defend him.

I've been to a few office parties where people get too drunk and aggressive. It happens, all is forgiven the next day :)

I've been to a few office parties where people get too drunk and aggressive. It happens, all is forgiven the next day :)

Yeahhhhhh......not the same thing though, is it?

When the cast get drunk, the crew have to wait on them and then one of the cast who caused them to miss the restaurant, then this same a-hole that is the reason why everybody can't eat something from the menu, through a hissy fit and assaults a producer.

They were all in the same hotel, everybody else didn't get p*ssy about the food. Only this baboon..

Aye. Straw-clutching on an epic scale in this thread.
    And it isn't always forgiven the next day, and it's completely reasonable not to accept it too.

When the cast get drunk, the crew have to wait on them and then one of the cast who caused them to miss the restaurant, then this same a-hole that is the reason why everybody can't eat something from the menu, through a hissy fit and assaults a producer.

They were all in the same hotel, everybody else didn't get p*ssy about the food. Only this baboon..

Assault? lol calm down. It was merely a "fraca" I've seen the word thug bandied about in this thread too :rolleyes: you'd swear he stomped on yer mans head or something. You guys must be salivating at the mouth over this chance to sit on a high horse.

A punch is an assault obviously.

How is it suddenly not when it's by Jeremy Clarkson. :confused:

• Advertisement

Assault? lol calm down. It was merely a "fraca" I've seen the word thug bandied about in this thread too :rolleyes: you'd swear he stomped on yer mans head or something. You guys must be salivating at the mouth over this chance to sit on a high horse.

Troll on, Brotha!

Troll on, Brotha!

Yeah yeah I'll go this way and you guys go back to happyland where people act like HR drones 24/7 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In most jobs, you punch someone in the face at an office party you'll get the sack

Bambi wrote: »
    In most jobs, you punch someone in the face at an office party you'll get the sack

Again, Clarkson isn't sitting at his call centre desk petrified of his supervisor is he. Sorry but not everyone is subservient to upstarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Again, Clarkson isn't sitting at his call centre desk petrified of his supervisor is he. Sorry but not everyone is subservient to upstarts.

He's suspended, isn't he?

He's suspended, isn't he?

Yes. That was reported when the news broke first? :confused::confused: There's a link in the first post about it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If people are going get into gushing bro love for bad asses, a gerbil-faced, adenoidal, posh twerp in stonewashed jeans that bullies work subordinates is a bit of a strange choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

A punch is an assault obviously.

How is it suddenly not when it's by Jeremy Clarkson. :confused:

No it isn't, good grief. An assault is an assault.. If a professional boxer throws a punch outside the ring, then yeah. For the rest of us a punch is nothing, we cant really make it count. If that were the case our courts would have a backlog of decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

anncoates wrote: »
    If people are going get into gushing bro love for bad asses, a gerbil-faced, adenoidal, posh twerp in stonewashed jeans that bullies work subordinates is a bit of a strange choice.

An overbearing establishment bully-boy whose fanboys consider him some sort of 21st Century rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

think he is over the top with his bully type talk.....like the other two presenters,,,,hope they carry on without him.......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Sums it up.

'Rise of "The Talent"'.

https://vimeo.com/8909197

• Advertisement
Advertisement