Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

I like Clarkson. He annoys the right people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Tzardine wrote: »
    I don't get the anger at Clarkson for calling the producer a lazy Irish whatever. It's hardly racist. It's actually probably factual. I mean he is Irish and may have been lazy.

If he had called him a lazy paddy potato farmer I would say fair enough. But I don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist for him calling somebody a lazy Irish whatever.

What about lazy black?

Try not to be so impressionable and naive son. Seriously are you afraid your kids are going to drown in the rain or what?

It's called humour fella, they're not slurs when used in this context, for instance do you cry racist when an Irish chap is referred to as a Paddy or an Italian paisan is referred to as a greaseball?

Lighten up a bit and you might live longer son, it's all in jest around here.

Uh, yeah?

I'll give it a try Wednesday though and see what the corporate policy is on calling the Italian guy who is on my team a lazy greaseball.

Will report back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would have thought that cnut is fare more offensive than Irish. If someone called me a lazy German cnut I won't take offence at the German bit.
    I can also call the Italians in my team Italian without any problems.
    Greaseball would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest Stewart Lee fan but his bit on Top Gear is fantastic:

The first 25 seconds or so pretty much sums up Clarkson. :D

Clarkson's No. 1 fan, lol!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

What about lazy black?

Depends on the context and if anything is said on top of it. For example I would have no problem with this.

Person 1: Do you know who Alex is ?
    Person 2: Yeah it's the lazy black lad.

There is nothing offensive about that.

Depends on the context and if anything is said on top of it. For example I would have no problem with this.

Sayings it to the guy is what is offensive if anything. Wasn't there a soccerball scandal re "black bastard".

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think it might have been a little bit more nuanced than that.

These are people who are on the road together working very closely under a lot of pressure. If there are moments of raised emotions, it's not the same as some guy beating his wife because the dinner wasn't ready.

'Nuanced', my foot!!

He delayed hotel staff and helicopter pilots, among others, by spending 2/3 hours
    drinking after filming. He eventually turned up at the hotel, allegedly blind drunk.
    The kitchen staff had had dinner ready earlier but closed shop a few hours later as there was no sign of Clarkson and company appearing.

Clarkson behaved like an out and out prat. Why are so many people condoning
    his boorishness and thuggery? Am amazed that so many think there is nothing
    wrong with the way he treated his producer. Oisín Tymon is in hiding, ffs!! Getting
    death threats because thousands of morons are blaming him for Top Gear having
    been taken off the air!! Not only did the poor guy have to suffer verbal and allegedly physical assaults from Clarkson, but he is being treated as the guilty party by
    people who don't seem to have the intelligence to distinguish right from wrong.

'Nuanced'??!!!! Give me a break!!! :(:(

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31832698

These 300,000 must be the same ones who fall for the Nigerian Prince e-mail scams.

Lol!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31832698

These 300,000 must be the same ones who fall for the Nigerian Prince e-mail scams.

over 900,000 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Top Gear will go to ITV or Ch4. Too much of a money spinner to be allowed to disappear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Topgear with ad breaks ? it would ruin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Topgear with ad breaks ? it would ruin it
    Yeah, because the tired and repetitive staged 'mishaps' and heavily scripted jokes haven't done that already.

Presumably though the Irish guy was already aware that he was Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

kleefarr wrote: »
    Top Gear will go to ITV or Ch4. Too much of a money spinner to be allowed to disappear.

Top Gear is owned 100% by BBC Enterprises, offers will surely be made esp by Sky One who'd love to have a household name on board but I'd not assume he'll take the money and run - Clarkson (and Wilman) vetoed a move to BBC One when it was floated for Top Gear as he felt the channel was too mainstream and had the "wrong" audience ie people who watch The Voice and Dancing with Stars or whatever its called.

Presumably though the Irish guy was already aware that he was Irish?

I still think out of screaming abuse, calling him a cnut and hitting him, pointing out that he is, in fact, Irish is not the worst thing. Except maybe to people who teach their kids to sing "baa baa rainbow sheep" to make absolutely sure they're not offending anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

brooke 2 wrote: »
    'Nuanced', my foot!!

He delayed hotel staff and helicopter pilots, among others, by spending 2/3 hours
    drinking after filming. He eventually turned up at the hotel, allegedly blind drunk.
    The kitchen staff had had dinner ready earlier but closed shop a few hours later as there was no sign of Clarkson and company appearing.

Clarkson behaved like an out and out prat. Why are so many people condoning
    his boorishness and thuggery? Am amazed that so many think there is nothing
    wrong with the way he treated his producer. Oisín Tymon is in hiding, ffs!! Getting
    death threats because thousands of morons are blaming him for Top Gear having
    been taken off the air!! Not only did the poor guy have to suffer verbal and allegedly physical assaults from Clarkson, but he is being treated as the guilty party by
    people who don't seem to have the intelligence to distinguish right from wrong.

'Nuanced'??!!!! Give me a break!!! :(:(

Because we love celebrities and hate anyone standing in the way of our love for that celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭amandstu

Don't forget that ,if he was physically and mentally abusing someone else then ,by including a generic epithet such as "Irish" he is expanding his area of attack to anyone else in that group.

Everyone else in that group has the benefit of JC'S bile.

Is the naughty step too harsh for the dear boy?(except he was already on it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I still think out of screaming abuse, calling him a cnut and hitting him, pointing out that he is, in fact, Irish is not the worst thing. Except maybe to people who teach their kids to sing "baa baa rainbow sheep" to make absolutely sure they're not offending anyone.

Of course it's not the worst thing. But imagine your boss punched you and called you a lazy irish cúnt for not getting his lunch and when you complained about it everyone ignored it, it's not something to get offended over.

The problem for bbc here is the that they have a history of ignoring complaints about their "stars" as long as their stars were big enough. Obviously Jimmy Saville was a lot worse, but same principle. Any complaints about him were ignored because he was too important to the bbc. At least they're finally listening.

• Advertisement

It's like calling someone a 'black bastard'. Presumably it's not for informational purposes - rather, it's pointing out something that is supposed to be negative, or relevant to the insult.

Calling a black man a 'prick' is not racist. Calling him a 'black prick' is. Can you see the difference?

It's like calling someone a 'black bastard'. Presumably it's not for informational purposes - rather, it's pointing out something that is supposed to be negative, or relevant to the insult.

Calling a black man a 'prick' is not racist. Calling him a 'black prick' is. Can you see the difference?

Well, as long as it's not the "worst thing" so apparently it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

I attempted to read the whole thread but then decided not to subject myself to such tripe!! How can anyone attempt to defend his actions?? I would love to see his defenders go in and do a days work, to be subjected to verbal & physical abuse by a grown man & think that it is acceptable. Especially considering this grown man is more than capable of getting into a car & driving to find a restaurant that serves hot food himself if he wasn't happy with what was on offer. Such a pompous, self entitled, obnoxious excuse of a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I attempted to read the whole thread but then decided not to subject myself to such tripe!! How can anyone attempt to defend his actions?? I would love to see his defenders go in and do a days work, to be subjected to verbal & physical abuse by a grown man & think that it is acceptable. Especially considering this grown man is more than capable of getting into a car & driving to find a restaurant that serves hot food himself if he wasn't happy with what was on offer. Such a pompous, self entitled, obnoxious excuse of a human being.

Grown men shouldn't need hospital treatment for a spot of blood on their lip and they should be capable of taking a bollocking and/or giving it back as good as they get when they f*ck up a simple task once they're passed the nappy stage.

Such cotton wool mollycoddling tripe in this thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Grown men shouldn't need hospital treatment for a spot of blood on their lip and they should be capable of taking a bollocking and/or given it back as good as they get when they f*ck up a simple take once they're passed the nappy stage.

its PC gone mad, isn't it!

BMMachine wrote: »
    its PC gone mad, isn't it!

Sometimes I think the PC movement was started and is being reinforced by trolls.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think the PC movement was started and is being reinforced by trolls.

Yeah I was just reading that in Andrew Pierces bit in the Mail on Sunday. He was saying how its a conspiracy against any kind of strong leadership individuals to make others less well off feel better about themselves

BMMachine wrote: »
    Yeah I was just reading that in Andrew Pierces bit in the Mail on Sunday. He was saying how its a conspiracy against any kind of strong leadership individuals to make others less well off feel better about themselves
    Physically attacking colleagues when drunk is 'strong leadership' nowadays? :rolleyes: I'd say it's exactly the opposite, unless you consider that you see loads of strong leaders in play shcools up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Sunday Times making him out to be a martyr. If he'd named any other race he'd be fired from there too.

20Cent wrote: »
    Sunday Times making him out to be a martyr. If he'd named any other race he'd be fired from there too.
    We are the last people you can racially abuse with some degree of safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Grown men shouldn't need hospital treatment for a spot of blood on their lip and they should be capable of taking a bollocking and/or giving it back as good as they get when they f*ck up a simple task once they're passed the nappy stage.

So you'd be ok with being called a lazy (insert nationality) **** and followed up with a punch in the mouth by a workmate over nothing, when a more simpler request would have serviced, like any chance you nip out and get me a bowl of irish stew!

• Advertisement

onlyme! wrote: »
    So you'd be ok with being called a lazy (insert nationality) **** and followed up with a punch in the mouth by a workmate over nothing, when a more simpler request would have serviced, like any chance you nip out and get me a bowl of irish stew!
    Hey, that's 'strong leadership'. All the best organisations are run on that basis. Steve Jobs was renowned for beating the crap out of his underlings. Same with Warren Buffet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Car-ma for his failed attempt at trolling in Argentina and subsequent lies.

onlyme! wrote: »

Oh, where you there? No. Didn't think so.

We are the last people you can racially abuse with some degree of safety.

Well, to be fair I don't think there's a whole heap of an ethnic difference between an English and an Irish person (or even me as a German). If he is part of the same "race" (an idiotic construct, there is only the human race, there are no subspecies or races), he is also abusing himself.
    Maybe it should be changed to cultural abuse, since there is no such thing as being racist, since that would have to include every member of the species Homo Sapiens.

exactly! Its this 'trial by media' stuff which is ruining our society

yeah i was .....i heard him clearly say where's my dinner ya bog trottin lazy irish **** why don't you go home, but first take this

Well, to be fair I don't think there's a whole heap of an ethnic difference between an English and an Irish person (or even me as a German). If he is part of the same "race" (an idiotic construct, there is only the human race, there are no subspecies or races), he is also abusing himself.
    Maybe it should be changed to cultural abuse, since there is no such thing as being racist, since that would have to include every member of the species Homo Sapiens.
    I look forward to you rolling this argument out when someone is called a 'black bastard' or a 'Chinese bastard'...

You switch from believing the story and defending clarkson to not believing the story and defending clarkson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dolly Parton once said; " It takes a whole lot of money to look this cheap "

Rowan Atkinson's genius is Mr Bean. But the person Rowan Atkinson himself is a complete mystery to people.

Katie Price became " Jordan "

Madonna is still getting headlines approaching 60.

Kim Kardashian s*cked a rappers c*ck and had given her whole family a career off the back of it,

Clarkson is an excellent journalist and a very clever man, despite the " Buffoon Act ". The fact he can arouse such interest and controversy is a tribute to the " Character " he has created.

He's a decent journalist, not an excellent one. Far too concerned with attempting to be an agent provocateur (and failing) to ever be exemplary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

You switch from believing the story and defending clarkson to not believing the story and defending clarkson.

Exactly! :D

• Advertisement

A irishman in his mid thirty's getting hit by this asshole and not hitting back is embarrassing!

oisin is the one who should be apologising....... to the irish nation!

Its genuinely sad how it's worked out that a nasty bully can verbally, and most likely physically, abuse a subordinate, who then receives death threats and has his character assassinated to the degree that he has to go into hiding, and the bully is held up as a heroic mans man who takes no crap and should be let off because of his celebrity. I neither liked nor disliked Clarkson before, but I just despise him now, although not as much as I despise the apologists.

At what point does a tv show become more important than a persons right to do his job without some entitled ape abusing you when they're frustrated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It comes as no surprise that head Tory David Cameron is backing Jeremy Clarkson. Both of them are members of the Chipping Norton set which is where posh Tory boys live away from the mean streets of London. Most of the people involved in the phone hacking scandals live there too as does Rupert Murdock on occasion. Its the type of place where racism for the rich is tolerated. The people who live in Chipping Norton miss the days of No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipping_Norton_set

Its going to be fun watching David Cameron having squeaky bum time when Clarkson gets the sack. I can also see his support for Clarkson and refusal to condem racism as a stick to beat him with in the UK election in May.

Candie wrote: »
    Its genuinely sad how it's worked out that a nasty bully can verbally, and most likely physically, abuse a subordinate, who then receives death threats and has his character assassinated to the degree that he has to go into hiding, and the bully is held up as a heroic mans man who takes no crap and should be let off because of his celebrity. I neither liked nor disliked Clarkson before, but I just despise him now, although not as much as I despise the apologists.

At what point does a tv show become more important than a persons right to do his job without some entitled ape abusing you when they're frustrated?

I liked him before, but jesus, his fans seem to be the lowest common denominator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Candie wrote: »

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It comes as no surprise that head Tory David Cameron is backing Jeremy Clarkson. Both of them are members of the Chipping Norton set which is where posh Tory boys live away from the mean streets of London. Most of the people involved in the phone hacking scandals live there too as does Rupert Murdock on occasion. Its the type of place where racism for the rich is tolerated. The people who live in Chipping Norton miss the days of No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipping_Norton_set

Its going to be fun watching David Cameron having squeaky bum time when Clarkson gets the sack. I can also see his support for Clarkson and refusal to condem racism as a stick to beat him with in the UK election in May.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I liked him before, but jesus, his fans seem to be the lowest common denominator

:rolleyes: Jesus lads it was a minor fraca. He didn't tie the guy up in his basement for 10 years. Calm down with the raging hard ons trying to sword fight to look like the most squeeky clean superior high horse in town. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone getting flashbacks to the Garthpocalypse right now?

I mean we have an entitled egomaniac and a totally ridiculous fanbase who will excuse anything from their hero rather than accept that he's being an arse.

I'd be willing to be that some of the posters now rabidly defending poor aul Clarkson from the consequences of punching a colleague in the face were pissing themselves laughing at the loopier Garth Brooks fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Similarly; grown men shouldn't be verbally abusing and punching people in the face because they have stayed out drinking until the hotel kitchen has closed. They should be capable of saying 'fair enough' and heading to a chipper once they're past the nappy stage.

I've always liked Jezza, and never been bothered by his non-pc antics, but this is beyond a joke. He deserves to lose his job for punching a co-worker.

kylith wrote: »
    Similarly; grown men shouldn't be verbally abusing and punching people in the face because they have stayed out drinking until the hotel kitchen has closed. They should be capable of saying 'fair enough' and heading to a chipper once they're past the nappy stage.

I've always liked Jezza, and never been bothered by his non-pc antics, but this is beyond a joke. He deserves to lose his job for punching a co-worker.

Rumour going that there's a lot more to it than "cold food" No one here knows what actually happened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Rumour going that there's a lot more to it than "cold food" No one here knows what actually happened yet.

Even if there is more to it, unless he was defending himself from an attack, there is no excuse for punching someone. He apparently punched a colleague in the face with little to no apparent provocation. Getting sacked is justified in that situation.

Advertisement