Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Dave maybe.

Nothing personal but the image of three middle aged flubbys in Grandad jeans trying to look cool tells me it's time for change.

Look at Clerys, that's what happened them, didn't move on.

Faded away , just like Clarkson, past sell- by

Ah, but Clerys didn't have a massive viewer base.

I happened stuck on the polar special last night when I got home from work. It's still entertaining. I might even watch the Botswana one tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ah, but Clerys didn't have a massive viewer base.

I happened stuck on the polar special last night when I got home from work. It's still entertaining. I might even watch the Botswana one tonight.

They had massive support at one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nothing personal but the image of three middle aged flubbys in Grandad jeans trying to look cool tells me it's time for change.
    A change to what? Reviewing Citroen and Kia family hatchbacks?

There have been plenty of other car shows and the majority of them fade away into obscurity. Top Gear has stuck around because people enjoy watching the three middle aged flubbys, other car shows have tried to copy the format but they lack the 3 essential ingredients.. As far as I can tell you didn't even watch top gear, you didn't know what the stigs roll in the show was and even called for him to be dropped. Will you even watch the new one? Have you been avoiding car show for all this time just because you don't like Clarkson?

ScumLord wrote: »
    A change to what? Reviewing Citroen and Kia family hatchbacks?

There have been plenty of other car shows and the majority of them fade away into obscurity. Top Gear has stuck around because people enjoy watching the three middle aged flubbys, other car shows have tried to copy the format but they lack the 3 essential ingredients.. As far as I can tell you didn't even watch top gear, you didn't know what the stigs roll in the show was and even called for him to be dropped. Will you even watch the new one? Have you been avoiding car show for all this time just because you don't like Clarkson?

Have to admit I don't care for Clarkson, but more especially the whiff of fumes and wintergreen attitude he and his fellow presenters emanate.

Fair play to you for batting for him so trenchantly so on that basis I hope his followers get their wish and he comes back on some platform.

BB won't be watching though, doubt if I will even watch Evans after the first few shows.
    That's just me, hope you are satisfied with the new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Have to admit I don't care for Clarkson, but more especially the whiff of fumes and wintergreen attitude he and his fellow presenters emanate.

Fair play to you for batting for him so trenchantly so on that basis I hope his followers get their wish and he comes back on some platform.

BB won't be watching though, doubt if I will even watch Evans after the first few shows.
    That's just me, hope you are satisfied with the new show.

I'll be honest with you BB, I don't get why you'd get so worked up about a show. You want this off the air so badly, despite that it remains hugely popular. Surely it's easier to just not watch it and forget it's there

I'll be honest with you BB, I don't get why you'd get so worked up about a show. You want this off the air so badly, despite that it remains hugely popular. Surely it's easier to just not watch it and forget it's there

I do believe you are correct Grandpa.

It's not so much about the show ,it's Clarkson and his crew irk me no end.

Popularity of a show is no artistic indicator mind, but having said that I may just follow your advice, may, now;)

I'll take a look at myself.

They had massive support at one time.

BB, why does it stick in your craw so much that Top Gear, in it's current format, IS hugely popular? The current format is bought, and watched in many countries around the world. It is copied, and emulated by BBC Worldwide, including BBC America (which is crap, TBH.)

You don't like it, fine, don't watch it. There are thousands, nay millions that do!

Oh, and

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-clarkson-confirms-new-car-show-with-former-top-gear-mates-2015-6?r=US

Another boost for on demand TV services like Netflix.

BB, why does it stick in your craw so much that Top Gear, in it's current format, IS hugely popular? The current format is bought, and watched in many countries around the world. It is copied, and emulated by BBC Worldwide, including BBC America (which is crap, TBH.)

You don't like it, fine, don't watch it. There are thousands, nay millions that do!

Oh, and

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-clarkson-confirms-new-car-show-with-former-top-gear-mates-2015-6?r=US

Another boost for on demand TV services like Netflix.

I just can't stand that Clarkson lad Soff...

I hate bombastic people with a vengeance..

Hope you enjoy the show.

By the way, surely one has to accept that no matter how much YOU like a show, others may not share that love.

That's the way the world goes baz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

By the way, surely one has to accept that no matter how much YOU hate a show, others may not share that hate.

That's the way the world goes bend.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    By the way, surely one has to accept that no matter how much YOU hate a show, others may not share that hate.

That's the way the world goes bend.

I think we have put that one to bed,don't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone hear Mark Evans on the Anton Savage show yesterday.

He definitely said his name was in the mix to co present.

Personally I like to see him along with Ed China on the show. I'd actually start watching it ( if we had TV, presume it won't be online)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

_Brian wrote: »

He definitely said his name was in the mix to co present.

Personally I like to see him along with Ed China on the show. I'd actually start watching it ( if we had TV, presume it won't be online)

You'd be able to get it on the iPlayer, I presume, with a proxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

From the ever reliable Popbitch:

>> Pissed-on heads <<
    The man with a golden gun

Jeremy Clarkson's temper
    tantrums were so frequent
    at Top Gear, claim some
    production staff, that they
    developed a code for his moods.
    If things ever reached a 'CC4'
    ('C*nt Com Four') then you'd
    know not to approach him under
    any circumstance – even if it
    was urgent.

Given that he punched a man
    over a bad dinner order, we
    can only imagine how Clarkson
    would place on the C*nt Com
    scale if he ever found out
    that irked crew members had
    taken to pissing in the water
    pistol that he used to spray
    himself down with to keep
    cool when filming in the
    southern states of America.

FYI: Dealing with May and Hammond,
    they say, was much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^

i wouldn't believe half that sh!t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It seems now that the presenters are unable to present or take part in any similar show for at least two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It seems now that the presenters are unable to present or take part in any similar show for at least two years.

Are you at all interested in the difference between Imperial measurements and the Old British Apothecaries Units?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jimgoose wrote: »
    Are you at all interested in the difference between Imperial measurements and the Old British Apothecaries Units?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/jeremy-clarkson-banned-making-top-6017732
    CLARKSON, along long with co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond, aren't allowed to work on a similar show on UK TV for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^

i wouldn't believe half that sh!t

They have a very good track record, loads of connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

BBC 3 are still showing Top Gear which I find strange. Maybe they don't have anything else to show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Birneybau wrote: »
    They have a very good track record, loads of connections.

One of those things that, though you don't really believe it, you really wish it was true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

_Brian wrote: »

said he's in the mix

he'd be excellent, very bright man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Clarkson, May & Hammond have just signed up to produce a motoring show on the Amazon Prime streaming service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

BBDBB wrote: »
    Clarkson, May & Hammond have just signed up to produce a motoring show on the Amazon Prime streaming service

Ah FFS :mad:

Torrents it is so… :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They will be back on TV in a couple of years once their quarantine is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I presently have Amazon Prime to cut down on shipping costs, so the streaming service comes free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

smurfjed wrote: »
    I presently have Amazon Prime to cut down on shipping costs, so the streaming service comes free :)

All TG fans round to yours on release day then.

Discodog wrote: »
    They will be back on TV in a couple of years once their quarantine is over.

I agree, probably the bbc & for a fee bigger than they were already on before all this

All TG fans round to yours on release day then.
    All welcome..... but it will be cheaper to buy Prime that a ticket to visit me :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

According to Engadget and WSJ; There could be a deal to make the show available to local broadcasters where Amazon Prime is not available.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/30/amazon-top-gear/?ncid=rss_truncated

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/07/30/former-top-gear-hosts-to-launch-new-auto-series-for-amazon-prime/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

smurfjed wrote: »

Streaming in Ireland?
    According to Engadget and WSJ; There could be a deal to make the show available to local broadcasters where Amazon Prime is not available.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/30/amazon-top-gear/?ncid=rss_truncated

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/07/30/former-top-gear-hosts-to-launch-new-auto-series-for-amazon-prime/

Let's hope so.

I agree, probably the bbc & for a fee bigger than they were already on before all this

Nah

Don't think so, past their sell-by.

Yesterday's men , on the way out.

Streaming in Ireland?
    My VPN probably believes that I'm somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Nah

You'll have to wait a little longer I'm afraid before you're dream comes true, Brendan. Amazon certainly don't think so. And they're no mugs. And they've given him full editorial control. So this'll be the bbc show on steroids. And according to amazon 'a substantial investment'

Nah

You've still got that hard on for wanting to see Clarkson, May, and Hammond fail, don't you?

Did you not read the bottle? If erection lasts for more than 4 hours, please consult a doctor.

You've still got that hard on for wanting to see Clarkson, May, and Hammond fail, don't you?

Did you not read the bottle? If erection lasts for more than 4 hours, please consult a doctor.

Just my opinion, just my opinion.

Been gone too long now and appearing on some obscure medium won't do them any good.

Beginning of the end for the lads, will never be the same again.

Clarkson blew it by assaulting that work colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did you know 139 of your 900 posts is about Clarkson?

Move on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I saw an episode of TG recently where they drove across the Mid East in run down sports cars. An utterly futile exercise that established nothing about the relative merits of sports cars. TG is only a lads road trip with unlikely vehicles. It did very well as that and the new one will too. Should be on Dave or something though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fleawuss wrote: »
    TG is only a lads road trip with unlikely vehicles.

People say that as if it's some sort of shocking revelation, when in fact it's the precise reason the show is so popular. It's not a new observation.

The truth is there's no real need for a indepthly informative motoring show these days. Anyone wanting precise technical details of cars has easier access to it now more than ever through the internet.

Top Gear is/was an entertainment show first and foremost. I never watched it because I was overly interested in cars anyway.

You can either love or hate Clarkson, but there's no denying that he and the other two have a great chemistry on screen, and produce something that many people find entertaining.

• Advertisement

People say that as if it's some sort of shocking revelation, when in fact it's the precise reason the show is so popular. It's not a new observation.

The truth is there's no real need for a indepthly informative motoring show these days. Anyone wanting precise technical details of cars has easier access to it now more than ever through the internet.

Top Gear is/was an entertainment show first and foremost. I never watched it because I was overly interested in cars anyway.

You can either love or hate Clarkson, but there's no denying that he and the other two have a great chemistry on screen, and produce something that many people find entertaining.

True enough, but they are has-beens now due to their absence from the screens as a result of Clarksons arrogance and assault.

Confined to some obscure streaming medium their viewership will decline and they will sink into oblivion.

Won't be the same in my opinion.

True enough, but they are has-beens now due to their absence from the screens as a result of Clarksons arrogance and assault.

Confined to some obscure streaming medium their viewership will decline and they will sink into oblivion.

Won't be the same in my opinion.

You might think that, but Amazon have Prime members numbering "tens of millions" (they don't disclose actual figures) and have spent $1.3 Billion on Instant Video in '14.

BBC iPlayer viewership fell by 72 million after Clarkson got sacked. That's a hell of a lot, for a hasbeen.

Amazon are definitely winners out of this, they'll be able to distribute Instant Video, DVD, and all the other lovely money makers that Top Gear has/had for less, and increase their market share of the On Demand TV streaming. For a lot of people, they'll hear about Prime/Instant Video, and think, "jaysis, what's that? Look, they have Top Gear/Clarkson, May & Hamster go Wild," and see it as a viable alternative to Netflix.

Don't get me wrong, I think the BBC were right to not renew the contract with Clarkson, they had no other choice. But they've lost out on their biggest draw, not some waning show they couldn't wait to get rid off.

You might think that, but Amazon have Prime members numbering "tens of millions" (they don't disclose actual figures) and have spent $1.3 Billion on Instant Video in '14.

BBC iPlayer viewership fell by 72 million after Clarkson got sacked. That's a hell of a lot, for a hasbeen.

Amazon are definitely winners out of this, they'll be able to distribute Instant Video, DVD, and all the other lovely money makers that Top Gear has/had for less, and increase their market share of the On Demand TV streaming. For a lot of people, they'll hear about Prime/Instant Video, and think, "jaysis, what's that? Look, they have Top Gear/Clarkson, May & Hamster go Wild," and see it as a viable alternative to Netflix.

Don't get me wrong, I think the BBC were right to not renew the contract with Clarkson, they had no other choice. But they've lost out on their biggest draw, not some waning show they couldn't wait to get rid off.

Good points there, in fairness, however personally I think they have shot their bolt.

When the new TG on BBC gets up and running with a fresh outlook and team, these lads will look tired and out of date.

Nah Sof, these lads are circling the drain career wise, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Most of the media I consume is streamed at this stage.
    I watch very little terrestrial tv and I'm sure it's the same for many.

Only one way this trend is going, and it's not in the direction of oblivion.

Most of the media I consume is streamed at this stage.
    I watch very little terrestrial tv and I'm sure it's the same for many.

Only one way this trend is going, and it's not in the direction of oblivion.

Not referring to the trend Barely, just the outdated TG concept and its former presenters.

Nah

So you keep saying. I still disagree and stand by the above based on the popularity of the trio/format around the world and the vast sums of revenue that they generated for the bbc. Whatever your personal dislike of the man may tell you I can assure you that the general public have short memories and money talks

• Advertisement

So you keep saying. I still disagree and stand by the above based on the popularity of the trio/format around the world and the vast sums of revenue that they generated for the bbc. Whatever your personal dislike of the man may tell you I can assure you that the general public have short memories and money talks

That's fair enough comment, however in my opinion, removed from the BBC and its expertise,and moved to an obscure streaming service, coupled with a new modern and less ' angry old mannish' approach from the BBC, this frankly, outdated trio will sink into oblivion, probably trying to produce more 'outrages' to keep their name in the media.

Could very well be wrong, though,as you said, the general public have short memories and at times questionable taste.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Been gone too long now
    Eh… even if they were still at the BBC the series would have ended and you'd have to wait for the autumn schedule to come around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh… even if they were still at the BBC the series would have ended and you'd have to wait for the autumn schedule to come around.

Correct Wibbs,eh,.... well spotted...point of course is that they won't be there for the Autumn Schedule on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's fair enough comment, however in my opinion, removed from the BBC and its expertise,and moved to an obscure streaming service, coupled with a new modern and less ' angry old mannish' approach from the BBC, this frankly, outdated trio will sink into oblivion, probably trying to produce more 'outrages' to keep their name in the media.

Could very well be wrong, though,as you said, the general public have short memories and at times questionable taste.

you have a lot of opinions on something you never watch

I don't have the exact details to hand but the expertise would be within the production company wouldn't it rather than the bbc? Ie the company set up and run by clarkson and Andy wilman. Between them I reckon they could employ, organise and run a production crew, they've done so around the world in some extreme situations and harsh environments and made award winning, successful TV shows

The way TV is made, distributed and watched has radically changed within our lifetimes and streaming is more likely to be the growing medium. The bbc is becoming more marginalised and less of an important voice in its field. I think it recognises this and is trying to adapt but it's a losing battle

Finally I think it's time you accepted that the world (and we are talking about a world wide audience for this product) is not as enlightened or as sophisticated in its taste as you are. Grumpy old man berating things and driving fast cars with enthusiasm of an 8 year old is without question a popular formula with its worldwide audience and that hasn't changed because a production assistant got a belt in the mouth

• Advertisement
Advertisement