Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC boots for 3-10 seconds, then turns off

Options
  • 10-03-2015 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My computer started acting weird last night, it booted up for around 5 seconds, then turned off and back on again in a cycle of 3 or 4 times before I powered it off at the mains. Reset the CMOS by removing and replacing the battery in the motherboard after 5 mins and all seemed grand. Same thing happened again today but this didn't seem to help.

My SSD would click (like a clock) the -very- odd time when I booted a couple of weeks back but would be fine once I powered it on again. Is the drive ****ed?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

There are no moving parts in an SSD, so either you're mistaken about the type of drive, or it's something else making that noise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The live CD is a good idea.
    I once had a laptop that would only boot to a certain point and crash. Turned out the CPU paste had dried up or gone off or whatever, so it overheated.
    Reseated the CPU with fresh paste and all was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sounds like something has come loose to me, maybe a heatsink. Open the case and have a look around.

Advertisement