Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing an MBA

Options
  • 10-03-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice in choosing an MBA. I've looked at all the colleges in Dublin as well as a couple of online options. Based on what I can afford, and what suits my timetable, its come down to three choices:

NCI
    DBS
    IBAT

I'm wondering if anybody had done their MBA from any of these colleges, and what we're the positives and negatives.

To give some more clarity and information, I'm in my mid 30s, and had to go back to retain and get a degree during the recession. I now have a 1.1 from the NCI. I'm currently employed by a US bank, and have previously worked in variety off roles including the construction, charity, educational, and finance sectors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Before you decide to jump into an MBA, ask yourself why you want to do it. That in turn will have a bearing on where you do it. Cost and timetables will also be significant factors.

I found this article was a useful starting point when I was researching mine:
    http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/10+MBAs+to+take+in+Ireland/id/89127228-1884-fd99-0366-400992120128

I'm in the final stages of the DIT MBA. I've done most of my education (including an MSc) while working full-time. Hands down, the MBA is by far the most time consuming qualification I've done. It's very tough. Groupwork in particular is challenging because you're forced to work with people of different skills, abilities and motivations (just like the real world). Having said that, I've learned a huge amount.

While it's difficult to generalise about MBAs, I'd suggest the following are true:
    1. If kudos of the institution is important to you / prospective employers, then Trinity or UCD are the best options. At €30k each, they're not cheap
    2. If you want to genuinely learn new skills and broaden your business acumen, then any of the other bricks & mortar universities or ITs are worth considering. Costs vary quite a bit, which suggests their standards do too.
    3. If you just want to get the letters "MBA" on your CV, then go the online route

Most people who've done an MBA will tell you the real value is in the relationships and contacts you build. That's very true - you get to learn from people who are leaders in their respective fields.

There's a lot of rubbish spouted about MBAs too. At the end of the day, it's just a business qualification. It won't magically transform your career prospects overnight. Having said that, quite a few people in our class have already been promoted / got new jobs during the course of the MBA, so it hasn't harmed their prospects.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Which did you choose? I'm thinking of NCI I've heard good things abouti t.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

JonBon27 wrote: »
    Which did you choose? I'm thinking of NCI I've heard good things abouti t.

I chose the NCI. Currently doing first year there

Clauric wrote: »
    I chose the NCI. Currently doing first year there

How are you finding it? What's your experience so far?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did the DIT MBA. Just finished. Only a few complaints but happy over all

• Advertisement

How are you finding it? What's your experience so far?

Just started a few weeks ago. Only one lecturer so far. He is very energetic, and good.

The class average age is mid to late 30s, with about 15 years work experience.

Clauric wrote: »
    Just started a few weeks ago. Only one lecturer so far. He is very energetic, and good.

The class average age is mid to late 30s, with about 15 years work experience.

How big is the class? Many senior management doing it?

How big is the class? Many senior management doing it?

Class is 25 people. There is a cross section from across the job spectrum. A large number from the finance industry, as you would expect in the IFSC. A number of senior people, as well as middle managers. Most are looking to progress their careers with the qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

The guy running the NCI MBA really knows his stuff..a natural lecturer, you always come out with that sense you have actually learned stuff. Some great staff in NCI and gaining recognition very quickly, pity it doesn't have the same kudos as DIT.

Voltex wrote: »
    The guy running the NCI MBA really knows his stuff..a natural lecturer, you always come out with that sense you have actually learned stuff. Some great staff in NCI and gaining recognition very quickly, pity it doesn't have the same kudos as DIT.

Have you done or are doing the mba?

• Advertisement

Have you done or are doing the mba?

I just finished MSc Mgmt this year, but the MBA and MSc share a lot of common ground and a few lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

Hi all,
    Im 35 and have two technical diplomas (1 city and guilds and other a pro training diploma from UCLA/BBC)
    I am wanting to do and MBA and have started looking at GMATs. Someone thought that I might not have to do a GMAT to get into an MBA course. Does anyone know if a mature student needs to do GMAT or not?
    Many many thanks
    Yeager

Yeager101 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im 35 and have two technical diplomas (1 city and guilds and other a pro training diploma from UCLA/BBC)
    I am wanting to do and MBA and have started looking at GMATs. Someone thought that I might not have to do a GMAT to get into an MBA course. Does anyone know if a mature student needs to do GMAT or not?
    Many many thanks
    Yeager

For me, I did not have to do a GMAT. All I had to do was an interview. However, for some places like UCD and TCD, you generally need one.

Hi all,
    Many many thanks
    Yeager
    If you want to get into the top ranked schools like Smurfit or Trinity youll probably have to score well on a GMAT. If you have some academic history ( a degree or Diploma) and at least a few years genuine management experience you should be able to get a position on the MBA programs cited by the OP.

Thanks Clauric and Voltex.
    @Voltex, what do you mean by the OP? "MBA programs cited by the OP"
    I have had 2 technology startups and have been managing teams and companies for the last 7 years. Some high level exposure to technology investments here, the US and MENA.
    I would ultimately like to get Smurfit or Trinity MBA. Had a look at a sample GMAT test and was pretty setback by the adjusted thinking when it came to the quant section and syntax/ word section. I see a job ahead to just score well on GMAT.

I have had 2 technology startups and have been managing teams and companies for the last 7 years. Some high level exposure to technology investments here, the US and MENA.
    I would ultimately like to get Smurfit or Trinity MBA. Had a look at a sample GMAT test and was pretty setback by the adjusted thinking when it came to the quant section and syntax/ word section. I see a job ahead to just score well on GMAT.

OP means either opening post or opening poster.

thanks for clarifying. So that is to say IBAT, DIT, NCI only?

I suppose we could start a whole thread on the value of Top Tier MBA's vs standard offerings, but what it ultimately boils down to is what value do you perceive the outcome is after spending upwards of €25k vs €12-15K. This is a question that only you can answer, as its very much dependent on your specific industry factors. Look at it as you would any other investment...what sort of return would you expect and how quickly can you recover your initial investment.

Colleges like NCI have a very good reputation and offer MBA's at a very reasonable cost. If you dont have a primary Degree, you can apply through their Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning, which takes into account your professional experiences and prior qualifications.

BTW..I did a Masters Degree in Management rather than an MBA. Firstly because it was half the price, secondly because my interests were more on the theory of management rather than the applied practices, and thirdly because I noticed from the College prospectus that both the MBA and MSc shared a lot of common modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Voltex wrote: »
    I suppose we could start a whole thread on the value of Top Tier MBA's vs standard offerings, but what it ultimately boils down to is what value do you perceive the outcome is after spending upwards of €25k vs €12-15K. This is a question that only you can answer, as its very much dependent on your specific industry factors. Look at it as you would any other investment...what sort of return would you expect and how quickly can you recover your initial investment.

Colleges like NCI have a very good reputation and offer MBA's at a very reasonable cost. If you dont have a primary Degree, you can apply through their Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning, which takes into account your professional experiences and prior qualifications.

BTW..I did a Masters Degree in Management rather than an MBA. Firstly because it was half the price, secondly because my interests were more on the theory of management rather than the applied practices, and thirdly because I noticed from the College prospectus that both the MBA and MSc shared a lot of common modules.

Can I ask where you did the MSc in Management? How did you find it? Was it a 1 year programme?

GeneralC wrote: »
    Can I ask where you did the MSc in Management? How did you find it? Was it a 1 year programme?
    I did it in NCI. You have the option of a 1 year full time course or a 2 year part time. Its a good program from a respected college.

The program is pretty focused in content, but with enough variety to encompass most peoples interests. Classes are small so you get a lot out of each lecture, with most lecturers on a first name basis with students. I suppose like with all Post Grad programs, what you get out of the course is a function of what you put in. I enjoyed the whole process..but I suppose I also did my under grad at NCI also - so I could be slightly biased.

I'm now starting a PhD with another University, and tbh I'm sad that my time in NCI is over after so long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement