Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for sister house to buy with flaws

Options
  • 10-03-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi my sister with 3 kids is considering a house to buy
    The house she wants to buy is in d22 and has:
    1/ A laneway in front of the house and teens hang around there
    2/ cul de sac (this house is last) with bollards next to the house - now though road
    3/primary school is opposite the house - traffic morning and afternoons
    4/Drive way at a angle , because it is the end of terrace house the sidewalk curves in front of house making the drive way into the house very small so the boot of he car sticks out on sidewalk. The second car you would need to park on street at bollards

The house itself is suitable for her needs - it has 4 bedrooms and it is spacious for a big family ... but would you not let the lane way, school opposite (traffic) put you off? Would she loose on the value of the house?

Can you honesty tell me what do you think from your experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't see why she should lose value. The issues are already there, and are probably reflected in the price she would have to pay. It should be a bit cheaper than a similar house that does not have the same sort of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jusspy

Yes the price is reflected ... it costs around 250k for a 4 bed in south of dublin , it is not very cheap but normal 4 bed start at around 320+

Thank you for your reply. Yes the price is reflected ... it costs around 250k for a 4 bed in south of dublin , it is not very cheap but normal 4 bed start at around 320+

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

I brought a house in the inner city. I had a sense it was a mistake but it was cheap and I was poor (still am) .

It was a BIG mistake that took me years to escape. If it 's youngsters hanging around sooner or later something will happen, you/she/somebody will try to talk to them and all hell will break loose.

They are board, throwing stones and running (or not running) will become a summer night entertainment.

Why in the name of God buy a house that a "problem.

Me i would rather live in a cardboard box than be trapped in that situation.

Hi, thank you very much.... Its a hard decision. would i be exaggerating? THe school is opposite the house nearly. I will go there tomorrow morning to see what the traffic is like in the morning. Please see if there is anything that would convince you to buy it. thanks soooo much for your advice and help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Lovely neighbours

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/man-appears-in-court-charged-with-murder-of-sonia-blount-1.1695960
    Eric Locke, St John’s Park East, Clondalkin, is charged with murdering Ms Blount (31) at Room 346 of The Plaza Hotel in Tallaght on February 16th, 2014.

And More http://saintjohnspark.yolasite.com/

Basically Google the street and the words " Anti social " , "problems" ... some Google hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The area outside the front gate will be probably mobbed on wet days by parents dropping off their kids to the school.

The laneway looks like it'll be used for the entire estate to the right (when looking at it on Google maps), as it's the only entrance to the school from that direction.

The front garden will be littered. Expect bins to go missing. I see the front is devoid from anything.

The house in the back will become their refuge! The house was probably built by the previous/past owner of the the house next to it.

Not a house that I'd go for. Heck, I'd prefer 2 Glenfield Drive over it. Listed as a 4 bed, but it's in a 3 bed road, so I'm thinking the attic may be converted? I'd add two bricks on top of the back garden wall, however. It's being that price for a year.

I cant wait to show my sister in the morning. Huge thanks for your priceless comments and taking the time to have a look on the maps. . I had had doubts about this house but I have a friend who keeps saying st johns and monastery to be good areas to buy. My sister keeps convincing herself that its not bad and that she will handle traffic and maybe the kids arent that bad etc but for 3 little kids it might not be... I asked some people on the road and have mixed opinions half say its quiet, others say they would not buy there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

jon1981 wrote: »

And More http://saintjohnspark.yolasite.com/

that blokes a nutter

54. If you have it , then I want it race, as some residents play the keep up with the Jones game by the working class of "anything you can do I can do better" and then criticise others for not partaking in the game.

http://saintjohnspark.yolasite.com/examples-of-asb.php

5.During the early hours of the morning individual residents cars checked by a neighbour to see if the vehicle was left unlocked. Vehicles completely checked out, nothing taken and nothing damaged. Just another inquisitive and information gathering procedure and to let the owner know “I was in your car”. But don’t as much as throw a paper bag at their car. Would you think this was the work of a teenager?

http://saintjohnspark.yolasite.com/examples-of-asb.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP is either the seller or completely blind. If most people send out warnings dont just listen to the positive ones. Its three kids futures at stake plenty other properties out there. Teenagers handing around your house is stressful and antisocial

• Advertisement

Thank you so much. The sister is gutted becouse its so good house itself...But it is a high probability of a spark starting a fire over something trivial. I have been to he house myself and there were 8+ teens boys and girls - boys going up the high wall trying to impress - hanging out and board. It looked peacefull but you never know with a group boys/girls. They then went over to shops then. I went to the shops too and the shop assistent told that is peacefull and good area. Hard to walk away becouse its a great house ! We will keep looking.

Have you been up there around 8/9pm or later on a Friday or saturday to see what it's like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

jusspy wrote:
    Yes the price is reflected ... it costs around 250k for a 4 bed in south of dublin , it is not very cheap but normal 4 bed start at around 320+

more West than south no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP my sister lives around there & has done for the past few years and has had no problems at all. Most was the neighbours being a bit noisy at times but that was it.

I would advise that if she does really love the house, then maybe going round at diff points of the day/evening/weekend to see what it's like & maybe having a chat to some people in the shops nearby might be the best plan. Areas can get a rep because of very few in the overall scheme.

Hej witchgirl - we will be going back there again to see how it is like ... if your sister has any more details please share them with me. I will check out again to see how it is like. THanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

What about calling in to the people who live beside the house and have a chat with them? They will know exactly what it is like to live there and your sister will get an impression of what they are like. Location Location comes to mind. If the Location is bad it doesn't matter what the house is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thermes already kids hanging out there what else does the OP need to know . image Halloween !

google street view, was hoping to see something lol

nothing too exciting! Though it's extremely close to the school... what reputation has the school got? Actually I know the school (silly me), I did a junior achievements course in there for 8 weeks, the class I had seemed lovely, 5th class it was, teachers seem good too, nothing bad stuck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What about calling in to the people who live beside the house and have a chat with them?
    There's a good chance that the owners of 42 are the sellers, as I'd say that the 42A was built in 42's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a house is priced suspiciously cheap and wasn't snapped up from the market after two weeks, then there's always a reason.

Some reasons are more tolerable than others - a house that needs work can be improved over time, for example. But situations where you've got lots of foot traffic past your house, or backing onto green areas, are things that you can't remedy. The value of the property won't drop; it's already reflected in the price you're paying. But you might lose some of your sanity over time.

Anyone who has ever lived beside a laneway will tell you to steer clear. My wife who grew up in a posh enough area still had no end of trouble with the laneway beside their house.

• Advertisement

This area right outside the house could lead to trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I thought that area used to have a better reputation,goes to show what a few scumbags can do.

Advertisement