Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic lubricants and servicing

• 10-03-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

What lubricants for chain and mechs and how often to apply each? It's all confusing, and I'm a simple man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Schecter01 wrote: »
    What lubricants for chain and mechs and how often to apply each? It's all confusing, and I'm a simple man.
    Damn, wrong threa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just get a decent quality chain lube from your LBS. The most important thing is to clean the chain before applying fresh lube. Applying lube to a dirty chain just results in making a gritty paste that will accelerate wear. I clean the chain as often as possible and then apply a drop of lube to each link in turn.

In the past I've used everything from 3 and 1 to engine oil but keep a million miles away from WD-40.

A few drops of lube on the pivot points of the front and rear dérailleurs does no harm after a bike clean but wipe of any drips or excess to avoid dirt sticking on your next ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Great I see there are dry and wet lubes also what do you clean your chain with? Toothbrush?

Schecter01 wrote: »
    Great I see there are dry and wet lubes also what do you clean your chain with? Toothbrush?
    I use a chain cleaner gizmo that I got in LIDL last year but it needs to be cleaned of the sludge that gathers every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭casion3

crosstownk wrote: »
    Just get a decent quality chain lube from your LBS. The most important thing is to clean the chain before applying fresh lube. Applying lube to a dirty chain just results in making a gritty paste that will accelerate wear. I clean the chain as often as possible and then apply a drop of lube to each link in turn.

In the past I've used everything from 3 and 1 to engine oil but keep a million miles away from WD-40.

A few drops of lube on the pivot points of the front and rear dérailleurs does no harm after a bike clean but wipe of any drips or excess to avoid dirt sticking on your next ride.

Why not WD 40?

• Advertisement

casion3 wrote: »
    Why not WD 40?
    It's not a proper lubricant. WD = Water Displacement. It's great for freeing stiff nuts and bolts but it's not a chain lube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Dry lube for summer / dry periods and wet lube for winter / wetter periods.
    Wet lube formulations stay on the chain better and aren't washed away by water spraying up from the road / rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I usually use the same lube dry and wet. I just make sure to clean the chain etc after every few dry rides and after every wet ride. Never had an issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Oooooh Eeeerrr Missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

RobFowl wrote: »
    Oooooh Eeeerrr Missus

Tut tut :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Dirty feckers, less of the innuendos, or should I say 'in-ur-end-o'

Advertisement