Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large play pen or fence-thing

Options
  • 10-03-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need some way to keep my son safe in our apartment when he starts moving around. I was looking online for play pens and found some circular fences that might work better. Does anyone have any experience with the indoor fence things to make a safe space for a mobile baby to play in? And how do they compare to a more traditional play pen?

Recommendations welcome. We have a relatively large living room so can take something big.

Cheers

MiA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had a square fence thing for my son (sorry, I don't know where is was bought, it was a hand-me-down!). I found it better than a standard playpen, as it had a lot more space.

EDIT It also took up a lot less space as it could be folded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How about using a travel cot? Roughly same size as a playpen, maybe 1/3 of the price and folds up neatly when not in use instead of taking up half your living space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Google the babydan playpen. Lifesaver! It's a decent size and can convert into a room divider. Kept my guy (and now my girl) safe if I have I run upstairs, go to the loo etc.

http://www.mothercare.ie/babydan-playpen.html

You can get them on Amazon if your not in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Personally I wouldn't bother with either. You'd be better off baby proofing your home.

Children love to explore and it's all part of their development to be able to do so. In my experience they get very fed up in play pens very quickly.

Cupboard locks and plug protectors are cheap enough. Its unlikely that you will need a stair gate if you are in an apartment.

you should really get used to going to the toilet with an enquisative little person watching you! It's a rare luxury to be able to pee in peace!! But it's also how these little people learn. Monkey see monkey do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I was looking into these when my daughter started crawling and never got round to getting one. She was grand in the end. We're also in an apartment so if I need to do something I sometimes put her in her own cot with a few toys for ten mins or so. This would be harder in a house obviously and I do understand that play pens are useful for some.

Personally I wouldn't bother with either. You'd be better off baby proofing your home.

Children love to explore and it's all part of their development to be able to do so. In my experience they get very fed up in play pens very quickly.

Cupboard locks and plug protectors are cheap enough. Its unlikely that you will need a stair gate if you are in an apartment.

you should really get used to going to the toilet with an enquisative little person watching you! It's a rare luxury to be able to pee in peace!! But it's also how these little people learn. Monkey see monkey do!

We completely toddler proofed our house before we got the pen. But there was no way I was gonna bring a 15 month old upstairs with me when checking whether the newborn was asleep and was ok :). And defo wouldn't habe left him running around downstairs by himself either... Not even for a minute :). They definitely have their safety advantages...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks for your replies!

I was hoping to put him in something that he can still move around and crawl in. Is crawling possible in a play pen? I'd have thought not. I'm veering more towards a big fence now for that reason. I've no experience with mobile babies, as you can see ;)

Yeah I don't want to just stick him in a play pen for hours. We are also baby proofing the apartment and the pen isn't meant as a replacement of that. But there still some random hazards in the apartment that can't be baby proofed as it is part of an old town house with a lot of old features. Like, we got the place tested for lead and it is fine, but I still wouldn't want him eating the paint off the old doors! And we are on the third floor with a wooden staircase outside our door with beautiful toddler-sized gaps in the handrail. So the pen is an additional safety thing for the eyes-in-the-back-of-your-head moments. I agree that babies need to watch us to learn. He already comes with me to the bathroom/shower I have no privacy :D He's fascinated by brushing teeth, I think its the funny noise.

My other half said this morning we should just put a fence against all the walls/doors and let him roam inside. We have plans to move this summer but he's moving around quicker than we expected :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have to agree with sligo1 the playpen is the business. It can be used as a room divider either. I would be lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

+1 for the playpen. Just even for a shower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement